Why become a member? ×

The most expensive guitar cable in christendom?

pete.young

Just recieved yet another flyer from Russ Andrews - any profit they made on the one pair of earplugs I bought must have been wiped out by the never ending stream of emails and catalogues!

Anyhoo, what about this - a 3m guitar cable for £120 ? I've bought quite reasonable guitars for less.

[url="http://www.russandrews.com/product.asp?lookup=1&region=UK&currency=GBP&pf_id=6030&customer_id=PAA2757125108803MYBOVFOPNCJVWBOH"]http://www.russandrews.com/product.asp?loo...YBOVFOPNCJVWBOH[/url]

can anyone beat that?

I don't know if these guys make instrument cables, as such, but Shunyata make the most expensive cables ("LS-188 Classic Mk 2 speaker cables ($5800 per eight-foot pair") I've heard of, and they're cryogenically frozen to improve the sound!!!
Apparently Dave Gilmour uses them in his studio, well he would wouldn't he!

[quote name='chris_b' post='364157' date='Dec 27 2008, 01:46 PM']I don't know if these guys make instrument cables, as such, but Shunyata make the most expensive cables ("LS-188 Classic Mk 2 speaker cables ($5800 per eight-foot pair") I've heard of, and they're cryogenically frozen to improve the sound!!!
Apparently Dave Gilmour uses them in his studio, well he would wouldn't he![/quote]

I think the cables you mention are made my Siltech. :)

[quote name='Nick Brown' post='364410' date='Dec 27 2008, 07:33 PM']....I think the cables you mention are made my Siltech....[/quote]
Yep. I got my names around the wrong way from the SoundStage Equipment Review.

"....pairs of Siltech SQ-110 Classic Mk 2 interconnects ($2600 per meter pair) and LS-188 Classic Mk 2 speaker cables ($5800 per eight-foot pair) during the time I also used the Shunyata cables, so I was able to compare the two sets of cables directly...."

[quote name='pete.young' post='364079' date='Dec 27 2008, 10:27 AM']Anyhoo, what about this - a 3m guitar cable for £120 ? I've bought quite reasonable guitars for less.

[url="http://www.russandrews.com/product.asp?lookup=1&region=UK&currency=GBP&pf_id=6030&customer_id=PAA2757125108803MYBOVFOPNCJVWBOH"]http://www.russandrews.com/product.asp?loo...YBOVFOPNCJVWBOH[/url]

can anyone beat that?[/quote]

Russ Andrews in ridiculously expensive cable shock!! In other breaking news Pope wears a funny hat and a bear has a sh*t in the woods.

I came across a mains lead from NordOst - high end audiophile stuff, that retails around £1920, yes that is over nineteen humdred GB pounds for a mains lead.
[url="http://www.nordost.com/productdetail.asp?ProdID=35"]http://www.nordost.com/productdetail.asp?ProdID=35[/url]
Looks cool though with it's carbon fibre-like textured plug and transmits electricity at 86% the speed of light which obviously give you far better tonal response.
I am told you can get similar sound improvement by cleaning your plug legs with brasso once a year.

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='364626' date='Dec 28 2008, 09:45 AM']I came across a mains lead from NordOst - high end audiophile stuff, that retails around £1920, yes that is over nineteen humdred GB pounds for a mains lead.
[url="http://www.nordost.com/productdetail.asp?ProdID=35"]http://www.nordost.com/productdetail.asp?ProdID=35[/url]
Looks cool though with it's carbon fibre-like textured plug and transmits electricity at 86% the speed of light which obviously give you far better tonal response.
I am told you can get similar sound improvement by cleaning your plug legs with brasso once a year.[/quote]

The irony is that you spend that much on the cable from the wall to the equipment but from the wall back to the mains distribution is £20/100m twin and earth cable! Pointless really.

Andy :)

Very true. In the 70s early 80s the hi magazines told us all you needed for your speaker cables was multi strand electricians cable as its as good as anything for low power. Then advertising got big and started to plug oxygen free cable, monster cable etc. For bass amp to speaker I use Screwfix emmersion heater cable.
If people think their special cables sound better than their last ones its because the old cables/joints/connectors were knacked. But if they want to waste money....................

Come on guys we're more clued up than this surely. These things are meant for guitarists, hell they'll buy anything if the words breakthrough, sonic and Nirvana are used in the advertising (I'm assuming that at least one of these words appears in the spiel). At the end of the day Joe Punter certainly can't tell the difference.

[quote name='backwater' post='364648' date='Dec 28 2008, 10:26 AM']The irony is that you spend that much on the cable from the wall to the equipment but from the wall back to the mains distribution is £20/100m twin and earth cable! Pointless really.

Andy :)[/quote]
To be fair, there was a guy who ran a dedicated supply from a nearby substation to feed his hifi. Using good cabling, naturally. It had a separate meter, the lot.
It might just be worth it in that context.

It might not be helpful to add that my "humble" £80 (1m) XLO mains cable stops my SVP PRO fom buzzing... That, at least, is a tangible benefit.

well good shielding on the mains cable can have a benefit in attenuating noise being radiated from the cable.
yes - the house wiring is almost certainly standard twin+earth etc but the radiated field drops off rapidly with distance - a square or cube law I think - so the cable nearest the equipment is the most important in that context.
Whether this actually makes a difference in any particular instance depends on , well, everything eslse - how much noise on the mains to start with and how susceptible your amp / pickups are to it. So you may not notice the difference but it could explain the benefit stated on the SVP Pro.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='364926' date='Dec 28 2008, 04:24 PM']To be fair, there was a guy who ran a dedicated supply from a nearby substation to feed his hifi. Using good cabling, naturally. It had a separate meter, the lot.
It might just be worth it in that context.

It might not be helpful to add that my "humble" £80 (1m) XLO mains cable stops my SVP PRO fom buzzing... That, at least, is a tangible benefit.[/quote]

presumably that's the speed of the ac electromagnetic wave 'in' the copper relative to the speed in vacuum ? ( from a physics perspective the ac field is sort of 'in and around' the conductor but let's leave the A-level physics there for now :-)

What that is supposed to do for the sound itself isn't clear !

[quote name='beerdragon' post='364846' date='Dec 28 2008, 02:39 PM']PROPAGATION: 86% the speed of light

What the hell does that mean?[/quote]

[quote name='crez5150' post='364230' date='Dec 27 2008, 03:36 PM']Looks like standard Neutrik Jacks on that cable ...... lot of money just for the lead?[/quote]
It gets more economical the longer you have it, so 5m is only £180. So get a really long one and cut it in half, then put Neutriks on the cut ends, and you've saved a fortune...

Ah, having looked at it again, it's £30/m plus £30 for a brace of Neutrik plugs and soldering them on. Bargain.

Edited by tauzero

[quote name='~tl' post='364891' date='Dec 28 2008, 03:38 PM']It means it takes 3.89nS (that's 0.00000000389 seconds) for a signal to travel down a 1m cable...

:)[/quote]

Only in the moving reference frame of the cable (S'), in the reference frame of an inertial observer(S) , by time dilation it would be recorded as 7.63nS, and by the lorentz contraction, the length of another 1m cable at rest would be recorded as 0.51m by an observer moving at 0.86c from the reference frame of the cable (S')........

just thought i'd prove to all you taxpayers that the tutition fee loan from the government for my astrophysics degree is money well spent........