Why become a member? ×

The most expensive guitar cable in christendom?

pete.young

[quote name='bobbass4k' post='366820' date='Dec 31 2008, 05:38 AM']Only in the moving reference frame of the cable (S'), in the reference frame of an inertial observer(S) , by time dilation it would be recorded as 7.63nS, and by the lorentz contraction, the length of another 1m cable at rest would be recorded as 0.51m by an observer moving at 0.86c from the reference frame of the cable (S')........

just thought i'd prove to all you taxpayers that the tutition fee loan from the government for my astrophysics degree is money well spent........[/quote]

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :)

[quote name='yorick' post='368493' date='Jan 2 2009, 02:28 PM']zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :)[/quote]

why do people keep falling asleep when i talk? Maybe i could derive some sort of tensor calculus equations to find out.......

Edited by bobbass4k

There is a definite improvement in tone/clarity when you switch from a crappy old lead to a good quality one, and the longer it is/was, the more the difference. Something to do with latent resistance and capacitance in the cable which can reduce volume and lose some treble. As with all things, the law of diminishing returns shows when you jump from a £4.99 lead to a £19 one the difference is pretty big, but going from £19 to £55 is more of a placebo/status/ego thing, I reckon, than any real, significant improvement in tone, though those convinced by the marketing hype will never allow themselves to be convinced otherwise. As long as you have the money and it makes you happy, then go for it.

[quote name='pete.young' post='364079' date='Dec 27 2008, 10:27 AM']Just recieved yet another flyer from Russ Andrews - any profit they made on the one pair of earplugs I bought must have been wiped out by the never ending stream of emails and catalogues!

Anyhoo, what about this - a 3m guitar cable for £120 ? I've bought quite reasonable guitars for less.

[url="http://www.russandrews.com/product.asp?lookup=1&region=UK&currency=GBP&pf_id=6030&customer_id=PAA2757125108803MYBOVFOPNCJVWBOH"]http://www.russandrews.com/product.asp?loo...YBOVFOPNCJVWBOH[/url]

can anyone beat that?[/quote]

I've got a 3m cable with the exact same Neutrik connectors which cost £12 :)

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='364926' date='Dec 28 2008, 04:24 PM']To be fair, there was a guy who ran a dedicated supply from a nearby substation to feed his hifi. Using good cabling, naturally. It had a separate meter, the lot.[/quote]

and.. presumably his ipod? ;)

yeah - it's a pretty steep law of diminishing returns.
If you work it out the resistance of the cable becomes negligible compared to the input resistance of any realistic input - whether it be a 'high impedance' input of 470Kohms or above - into the Megohms - or a normal line input resistive impedance of, say, 10Kohm.
And the resistive element affects all frequencies equally by definition.
It's the reactive impedances - capacitance between the cable core and screen and inductance of the cable which matters.
Then there are 'secondary' effects like dielectric absorption which depend on the insulation between the cable and screen.
In reality the integrity of solder and mechanical joints and the integrity of the jack or XLR etc connection is probably the most critical factor with any lead made with decent cable.

Here's a quick way to increase the perfornace of any cable 100% ( ie - it does 50% less damage ) : cut it in half and use a shorter cable :-)

If you're using a long cable you should be using twisted screened pair cable ( ie 'microphone' cable ) anyway into some sort of a balanced input ( like on a typical mixer ) to minimise pickup of low frequency fields such as those from mains transformers etc. Screening does little to reduce this - it needs the impedance balanced signal and balanced input to reject the interference.
You'll probably need a DI box of some sort to provide this sort of output.

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='369777' date='Jan 4 2009, 10:47 AM']There is a definite improvement in tone/clarity when you switch from a crappy old lead to a good quality one, and the longer it is/was, the more the difference. Something to do with latent resistance and capacitance in the cable which can reduce volume and lose some treble. As with all things, the law of diminishing returns shows when you jump from a £4.99 lead to a £19 one the difference is pretty big, but going from £19 to £55 is more of a placebo/status/ego thing, I reckon, than any real, significant improvement in tone, though those convinced by the marketing hype will never allow themselves to be convinced otherwise. As long as you have the money and it makes you happy, then go for it.[/quote]