Why become a member? ×

Are you a member of TalkBass?

acidbass

[quote name='Russ' post='363216' date='Dec 25 2008, 05:54 AM']...many posters' (and mods') attitudes to religion, guns, other countries, etc irritate the hell out of me.

I much prefer the vibe here. But the Lobby, and, formerly, Tin Pan Alley were always good for a laugh. :)[/quote]
Aye, I used to partake of plenty of gun control debates etc and got very wound up doing so- now I try not to touch OT with a proverbial barge pole.

[quote name='Adrenochrome' post='363070' date='Dec 24 2008, 08:28 PM']ah Mr Crow. I remember you, I used HCBF for about 7 years but didn't post all that often.[/quote]

and i you
i have been over there about 7 years as well
i am not a big bass gear and axe man but like to chat and the OT help i have got is tremendous
some forums dont like to stray too far from the bass topics
god bless
geof

[quote name='johnnylager' post='363226' date='Dec 25 2008, 09:00 AM']3 posts.

EDIT: Possibly.[/quote]
LOL

[quote name='s_u_y_*' post='363215' date='Dec 25 2008, 05:00 AM']I am a member and find it a useful resource, but really dislike the attitude of some of the forumites there.[/quote]
+1 I find there's a certain level of sanctimony, posturing and a collective narrow mindedness expressed by members on some topics which I find patronising, unnecessary and shallow. A few of the regulars do seem to get a bit high on themselves as well. Technically there's nothing over there that I couldn't find out myself through someone here or by googling. The only threads that have peaked my interest there have been on Meshell N'degeocello, composite speaker cabinets, and graphite necks which I've contributed to more than gained benefit from. The rest of it I can leave without losing sleep. Having said that, I've exchanged emails with Paul D. in the past and wouldn't want any of what I think about the membership to reflect badly on him. Any forum THAT big is going to be a handful to manage consistently when relying on voluntary effort.

[quote name='M4L666' post='363343' date='Dec 25 2008, 04:28 PM']I'm not, but am a user of Ultimate Guitar. It's pretty good, disregarding the fact that most of them are Americans. deleriumbassist is a laugh though.[/quote]

UG is cool... but the same old tired threads, i.e. what do you think of this bass, etc. making it boring sometimes.

I've been a member for quite a long time, partly because all of my basses were vaguely obscure US made - Modulus, Zon, Kubicki etc. - and I was able to get more info about them over there.

I've never really had any problems other than there are so many posts it's impossible to keep up with everything that's going on sometimes!

On the religious front - I keep being tempted to say that Carll Hayes' "She Left Me For Jesus" is my newly adopted Xmas song :)

We''ve been datin since high school, we never once left this town
We use to go out on the weekends and we''d drink til we drowned
But now she's acting funny and I don't understand
I think that she's found her some other man

She left me for jesus and that just ain't fair
She says that he's perfect how could I compare
She says I should find him and ill know peace at last
If I ever find jesus I'm kickin his ass

She showed me a picture all I could do was stare
At that freak in his sandals with his long pretty hair
They must think that I'm stupid or I don't have a clue
Ill bet he's a commie or ever worse yet a jew

She's given up whiskey and ah takin up wine
While she prays for his troubles she's forgot about mine
I'm a gonna get even I cant handle the shame
Why last time we made love she even called out his name

It coulda been carlos or even billy or ted
But if I ever find jesus
Hes gonna wish he was dead amen

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyxEO9dqi44"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyxEO9dqi44[/url]

[quote name='Toasted' post='362862' date='Dec 24 2008, 03:11 PM']Yes, I have been since 2003. It's a fantastic resource and very friendly. A very well run/funded forum too.[/quote]

+1 to this, have been a member for the same amount of time. Definitely a forum where you have to use the search function as it's bloomin' enormous!

Cheers,
iamthewalrus

It's OK, a lot good info on there with regard to FX, and like every other bass forum, a million discussions on flats.
However, of all the forums; [url="http://www.finnbass.com/"]Finnbass[/url] is rapidly becoming a favourite for me.

Edited by nick

Have been a member for some years, but very rarely read it and almost never post there. I did find them stunningly unhelpful on the subject of EUBs - plenty of opinions and advice about various facets flying around, but when a few people posted about their actions and how high they had them set, and I asked how they measured the height of their action, no response whatsoever. Surely it's not that difficult a question to answer.

I've been a member for longer than I've been here, but only by a few weeks and I don't think I've logged on once since I joined here. I'm not even sure I ever posted anything.

Even though I'm American like most of the people on there (although I reside in the UK), there are several to many varied reasons why I don't really care for it and find Basschat to be, well, much better.

So, I'm technically a member, but really only so I can log in if I want to for whatever reason.

I like finnbass too, it's a bit looser

TB has heaps of info, man there is stuff for days and from where I live in the world this is a big asset.
this site is similar in that regard, just on a smaller scale.

interestingly many of the charges leveled in this thread at TB apply directly to this site. It's actually classic Pot Kettle Black.
It's also part of the charm... like it's part of what makes the respective sites.

The political bit is tough, how much leeway do you give? I think the rules are clear, whether I think that's "right" is hardly the point. Well maybe.

Christian? again, get over it. The home base of the site is religious minded, all census data on the USA shows huge % call themselves Christian. If I came on her mocking the Monarchy, Football and Mushy Peas I'm not only being ignorant, I'm most likely being disrespectful to the tenants OF THE ACTUAL PEOPLE WHO DO THE WORK TO RUN THE SITE.

and I think it is important to keep that in mind when evaluating a particular resource/community.

and Merry Xmas everyone.

[quote name='foal30' post='363507' date='Dec 26 2008, 08:51 AM']I like finnbass too, it's a bit looser

TB has heaps of info, man there is stuff for days and from where I live in the world this is a big asset.
this site is similar in that regard, just on a smaller scale.

interestingly many of the charges leveled in this thread at TB apply directly to this site. It's actually classic Pot Kettle Black.
It's also part of the charm... like it's part of what makes the respective sites.

The political bit is tough, how much leeway do you give? I think the rules are clear, whether I think that's "right" is hardly the point. Well maybe.

Christian? again, get over it. The home base of the site is religious minded, all census data on the USA shows huge % call themselves Christian. If I came on her mocking the Monarchy, Football and Mushy Peas I'm not only being ignorant, I'm most likely being disrespectful to the tenants OF THE ACTUAL PEOPLE WHO DO THE WORK TO RUN THE SITE.

and I think it is important to keep that in mind when evaluating a particular resource/community.

and Merry Xmas everyone.[/quote]
+1 well said.

one thing I found with Talkbass is that there are so many users that you can find yourself getting flamed, bashed etc. by one clique of people banding together, and then supported by another clique, or by individuals free from cliques, for the very same opinion.

the mods vary a lot too.

I haven't posted a thing yet, as I'm a 'guest' there, but, what I like there especially (and, altogether, what I feel, Basschat is a bit lack of..), is 'Bassists' section. Of course, there's a lotta crap, but, also, there are many great threads about great musicians discussed, and their youtube video stuff.

I couldn't find any other sections worth attention, well, to mention, maybe a few artists' sections, for e.g. Janek Gwizdala, and so on. For those, who don't know, in those sections you can post questions, discuss things with bassists like Janek, and so on..

[quote name='SJA' post='363129' date='Dec 24 2008, 10:41 PM']I still post on there occasionally, although I can't be bothered anymore with the epic flame-wars with people like Bruce Lindfield- I recall he was arguing vehemently that the Roscoe Beck 4string version would never go into production.....and guess what, it did and the 5 has been phased out...[/quote]

Ah, Mr. Lindfiled. Now what was someone saying about TBers not having a sense of humor? :)

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='363039' date='Dec 24 2008, 07:16 PM']They do have a slight obsession with TI flatwound strings though lol.[/quote]

Well so have I!!! Awsome, dude. :huh:

Edited by BassBus

[quote name='BassBus' post='367765' date='Jan 1 2009, 02:35 PM']Ah, Mr. Lindfiled. Now what was someone saying about TBers not having a sense of humor? :)[/quote]

dunno about whether he can take a joke though- I posted a spoof pic of an effect pedal "the Bruce Lindfield nitpicker" and he ran squealing to the mods to have it deleted. :huh:
another time he started a thread slagging me off in the supporting members lounge, where I couldn't see it, and mod John Turner kindly moved it into the off topic section where I could see it- cue a hasty thread deletion....

swings & roundabouts on Talkbass, and more extreme due to the sheer size of it. personally I find their photoshop and other humour threads pretty funny.

[quote name='BassManKev' post='367770' date='Jan 1 2009, 02:38 PM']i am, but i dont ever go on there, cannot stand the place, i tried to like it but i got an official warning for saying 'bloody' in a post, kinda finished any interest i had[/quote]

Really? I've never had one for using the word 'bloody'.

I am a bit confuddled about 'wtf' being automatically asterixed though.

:)

Yes, I've been a member for quite a few years but I've only posted a few times... I'm mainly a reader.

I find it quite usefull, lots of good info there, huge community and, as a result, quite a few nasty people around but lots of nice bass lovers too willing to help others out.

I've also bought a few things there and I've never had a problem.