Why become a member? ×

Are you a member of TalkBass?

acidbass

Hello! I'm new here, just checking things out. This forum seems to have a lot of potential! I've been following TB a few years, so I thought I'd share. I use TB primarily as a resource for gear, theory, technique, and recording and I must admit I've learned a lot. It isn't perfect, but I think that it's a great forum given its size. After all, it is mostly bass related and it's full of bass loving folks - how can that be a bad thing?? Most bassists are laid back anyway IME. It is heavily moderated and PC, but there are a bunch of young kids that use the forum, so that might have something to do with it. I recently started to participate a little more. I'll check the latest posts 2-3 times a day and post a reply whenever I can help someone out. I think that the gear obsession can be a little much at times but as someone mentioned it's all in good fun. As far as cliques are concerned, who cares? There's over 100k members! Personally, I post a message and then forget about it - then on to the next thread. I can't control how/when/if someone responds to me. I mean TB has hundreds of posts a day! I've never seen a post about religion, but then again, I only go on there to talk about bass. It isn't as pretty as BC, but I think the subject matter/wealth of info make up for all that. And with a little bit of tact, you can easily avoid the mods... but if you're one of those people who like to stir up a fight, then best of luck with that. For all those that can't stand TB, I recommend giving it a second chance (or third). Over the years, TB has gradually become one of my top bass resources which is something I never expected.

Cheers from New Orleans

I use it and enjoy it. The only annoying thing is that SOME (not all by a long shot) members seem to feel that shipping to the UK is going to cause some kind of national disaster, and even if you are deep in negotiation, if someone from the US shows an interest then the item will magically become sold and you are out of the picture. Not cool.

[quote name='gasjunky' post='383796' date='Jan 18 2009, 10:39 AM']Hello! I'm new here, just checking things out. This forum seems to have a lot of potential! I've been following TB a few years, so I thought I'd share. I use TB primarily as a resource for gear, theory, technique, and recording and I must admit I've learned a lot. It isn't perfect, but I think that it's a great forum given its size. After all, it is mostly bass related and it's full of bass loving folks - how can that be a bad thing?? Most bassists are laid back anyway IME. It is heavily moderated and PC, but there are a bunch of young kids that use the forum, so that might have something to do with it. I recently started to participate a little more. I'll check the latest posts 2-3 times a day and post a reply whenever I can help someone out. I think that the gear obsession can be a little much at times but as someone mentioned it's all in good fun. As far as cliques are concerned, who cares? There's over 100k members! Personally, I post a message and then forget about it - then on to the next thread. I can't control how/when/if someone responds to me. I mean TB has hundreds of posts a day! I've never seen a post about religion, but then again, I only go on there to talk about bass. It isn't as pretty as BC, but I think the subject matter/wealth of info make up for all that. And with a little bit of tact, you can easily avoid the mods... but if you're one of those people who like to stir up a fight, then best of luck with that. For all those that can't stand TB, I recommend giving it a second chance (or third). Over the years, TB has gradually become one of my top bass resources which is something I never expected.

Cheers from New Orleans[/quote]

Welcome to the forum. ;)

I pretty much agree with all of that. TB can be a great forum, but to my mind it's a victim of it's success. I just can't keep up with all the posts. I guess the key to it is being a bit more selective with what you read.

Having been an 'ordinary' member for about 5 years I've just signed up as a 'supporting' member by paying $20.

Although the £ is nowhere near as strong against the $ these days I thought I'd try selling a European made bass over there as they are relatively so much higher priced - obviously the converse is true of US made basses.

I did get one tentative offer within minutes of posting but no actual sale yet.

I'm sure there's a lot of suspicion about trading overseas though. Even the most ordinary basses usually get lots of comments about them but I've had virtually nothing.

I've also been a victim of the "there's no way I'd ship internationally" comment from US sellers, even when I've said I'd pay all costs and insurances in advance. Having said that I know quite a few people over here who steadfastly refuse to ship internationally so it's obvious some people just aren't comfortable with it.

[quote name='Toasted' post='370689' date='Jan 5 2009, 10:30 AM']I find it strange that folks here say TB is too religious, considering religious discussion is 100% banned.[/quote]

My feeling about that is that here you can have a discussion about religion (and most other things) but at TB you can go on about how great God is (for example in your signature) but that's all. The London bus would be banned at TB.

Maybe I'm being too harsh.

[quote name='gasjunky' post='383796' date='Jan 18 2009, 10:39 AM']Personally, I post a message and then forget about it - then on to the next thread. I can't control how/when/if someone responds to me. I mean TB has hundreds of posts a day![/quote]

Yeah it moves too fast, that's the only frustrating thing about it.

Consequently I only really use the Effects subforum, which operates at a much more sedate pace. ;)

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='383996' date='Jan 18 2009, 02:23 PM']My feeling about that is that here you can have a discussion about religion (and most other things) but at TB you can go on about how great God is (for example in your signature) but that's all. The London bus would be banned at TB.

Maybe I'm being too harsh.[/quote]

Can you point me to a thread about god etc? After being on TB for about 4 years i really haven't seen any of this.
Quite interested to though.

Cheers.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='384011' date='Jan 18 2009, 02:36 PM']Can you point me to a thread about god etc? After being on TB for about 4 years i really haven't seen any of this.
Quite interested to though.

Cheers.[/quote]

Threads on religion are banned on TB, hence why you'll only see references in signatures. No idea when they banned it, but there maybe old threads in the archives. They banned discussions on they country of origin of gear a couple of years ago as well (I think it was around the time Ampeg outsourced their manufacture to the Far East).

[quote name='Musky' post='384017' date='Jan 18 2009, 02:44 PM']Threads on religion are banned on TB, hence why you'll only see references in signatures. No idea when they banned it, but there maybe old threads in the archives. They banned discussions on they country of origin of gear a couple of years ago as well (I think it was around the time Ampeg outsourced their manufacture to the Far East).[/quote]

Thats what i though.

I think EssentialTension's post now has me confused.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='384022' date='Jan 18 2009, 02:48 PM']Thats what i though.

I think EssentialTension's post now has me confused.[/quote]

What ET is getting at is that you can't debate or just generally question Religion like we can on here, yet you can prasie God and his mob all you want in the Cristian Praise & Worship threads.

Basically TB is very Pro-God, your not allowed to question yet you can whittle on about how some oversized Fairy has bestowed them with a gift from the Heavens.

[quote name='Josh' post='384046' date='Jan 18 2009, 03:15 PM']What ET is getting at is that you can't debate or just generally question Religion like we can on here, yet you can prasie God and his mob all you want in the Cristian Praise & Worship threads.

Basically TB is very Pro-God, your not allowed to question yet you can whittle on about how some oversized Fairy has bestowed them with a gift from the Heavens.[/quote]

Ah right thanks, yeah, makes sense now.

Cant see why thats an issue for anyone though and cant see how it gets in the way of Talking Bass though but each to his/her own.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='384001' date='Jan 18 2009, 08:28 AM']Yeah it moves too fast, that's the only frustrating thing about it.

Consequently I only really use the Effects subforum, which operates at a much more sedate pace. ;)[/quote]

Same here. I stick to a few subforums. I find the subscribe feature to be helpful for keeping up on the latest posts. For those that don't know about it, it lets you subscribe to specific threads or subforums and you can choose to receive email notifications daily or weekly if you like.

[quote name='gasjunky' post='384058' date='Jan 18 2009, 03:29 PM']Same here. I stick to a few subforums. I find the subscribe feature to be helpful for keeping up on the latest posts. For those that don't know about it, it lets you subscribe to specific threads or subforums and you can choose to receive email notifications daily or weekly if you like.[/quote]

LOL, we have that here as well. Not sure about the weekly part though.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='384053' date='Jan 18 2009, 03:27 PM']Ah right thanks, yeah, makes sense now.

Cant see why thats an issue for anyone though and cant see how it gets in the way of Talking Bass though but each to his/her own.[/quote]

I guess it's down to how you see Religion, if it's not a constant in your life then of course your not going to care, but for me, I just find it really hard to take in that these guys are pretty much claiming supremacy due to their belief.

[quote name='Josh' post='384071' date='Jan 18 2009, 03:36 PM']I guess it's down to how you see Religion, if it's not a constant in your life then of course your not going to care, but for me, I just find it really hard to take in that these guys are pretty much claiming supremacy due to their belief.[/quote]

I can undersatnd that and i guess its just something i have never noticed or cared about.

[quote name='Josh' post='384046' date='Jan 18 2009, 03:15 PM']What ET is getting at is that you can't debate or just generally question Religion like we can on here, yet you can prasie God and his mob all you want in the Cristian Praise & Worship threads.

Basically TB is very Pro-God, your not allowed to question yet you can whittle on about how some oversized Fairy has bestowed them with a gift from the Heavens.[/quote]
No debate as such, but there is a flourishing Atheist Bass Player thread!