Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Anyone using two or more basses when playing live

Guest MoJo

I took one of my recent acquisitions, my Yamaha BB1500A to a gig recently and played the first half of the set with it. During a break, I switched to my BB415 and all of a sudden there was a huge hole in my sound which I put down to the bass. I struggled through the number and quickly changed back.

Having time to reflect on the event, I realise that I'd set the amp up for the active BB1500A and the huge difference in the dynamics between the two basses caused the hole in the sound.

How does one get around this problem when playing live? I haven't really got time to rearrange all the settings on the amp when changing basses.

:)

The active/passive switch usually covers this for me, but a quick master vol tweak or volume on the bass tweak seems to sort it. Luckily my current settings seem to bring out the tone I want from all the basses I use live so I guess I'm lucky in that respect. Other than that all I can suggest is maybe using pedals or multi FX to try and fill the void (as previously suggested).

Or if you can afford it maybe get a splitter and run the signal into a different amp that's set up accordingly? Actually you don't really need a splitter at all for that but there you go.

Edited by ashevans09

I've been using a couple of basses for a while now. In a previous band, I used a fretted and fretless, so I got matching instruments to reduce the eq faffage needed when I swapped instruments. Then I left that band and joined another (made up of people from the old band) and there was no need for a fretless but I still needed two basses because for the Chic songs we played, a jazz bass or smith/spector just didn't work. So for a while I was using a rack mounted 1u mixer and then a couple of weeks ago I picked up an EBS Microbass II off MXM and plug both the Spector (which runs hot) and the Stingray (which doesn't) into both channels and switch between them. Because the Shuttle 6 is so small, I don't really need a rack and the Microbass seems to do the job reasonably well, although it would be nice to have the same eq on both channels. At the moment I put the Spector on Ch B because it already has a sweep eq, and save Ch A for the Stingray. The pedal has a faint colouring that reminds me of a sonic maximiser. Nothing that gets in the way of the basses midrange though.

I never use my active/ passive switch. Instead I know from experience where the gain should be to achieve the same volume from each of my basses - so I just move that , though to be honest half the time I don't bother!!

I never tweak the eq much anyway - my dictum is to use an amp that sounds good to me when set flat. I also enjoy the different sounds each of my basses make - why would I try to make them sound the same??

I'm not going to tell anyone else what to do - but the deal is making music to me , not knob twiddling. If you get kit that has a simple to find , pleasing 'core' sound - you're sorted.

I use one of these

[url="http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/behringer-ab-100/69058"]http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/behringer-ab-100/69058[/url]

Behringer a-b switcher with different levels for each channel
It's terrible design, changing the battery is very awkward, the mains lead falls out and the jacks have to be very well seated to work consistantly... but it was cheap.

The two channels on my MB LMK head can be set up for two different basses too, though I use them in a different way. A slightly more expensive option :)

I use my Fender Precision Fretless and my G&L Tribby (or my Stingray) for most gigs. Set the amp flat and plug 'em in - adjust volume to taste :) The Ashdown rig I use always sounds boomy and dreadfull to me stood right in front of it but I get complements from the audience all the time (for the sound, not my playing) - so that's how I leave it.

Edited by thepurpleblob

[quote name='OldGit' post='361391' date='Dec 22 2008, 08:53 PM']I use one of these

[url="http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/behringer-ab-100/69058"]http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/behringer-ab-100/69058[/url]

Behringer a-b switcher with different levels for each channel
It's terrible design, changing the battery is very awkward, the mains lead falls out and the jacks have to be very well seated to work consistantly... but it was cheap.

The two channels on my MB LMK head can be set up for two different basses too, though I use them in a different way. A slightly more expensive option :)[/quote]

I have one of those but it's not really a volume/gain issue as the BB1500A's output isn't that hot for an active bass and I always have to plug it into the 'passive' input of my amp (and yes, it has a brand new battery...it's just the way some Yamahas are). It's the difference in tone between the basses that's difficult to compensate for.

[quote name='bassman2790' post='361457' date='Dec 22 2008, 09:47 PM']I have one of those but it's not really a volume/gain issue as the BB1500A's output isn't that hot for an active bass and I always have to plug it into the 'passive' input of my amp (and yes, it has a brand new battery...it's just the way some Yamahas are). [b]It's the difference in tone between the basses that's difficult to compensate for.[/b][/quote]

EBS Microbass or Radial Bassbone could maybe solve that.

Or preset EQ pedal that you put one bass through and not the other.

For once I am in agreement with kiwi - EBS MBII into Shuttle 6.0. I always plug into A and add the second channel on the MBII when I want to boost the quiet bass but there are loads of different ways of doing it with just the EBS. There are lots of other options.

When I want to get really radical I adjust the volume on the basses so they are all the same :)

Edit having read the incoming post. There are two approaches to using an active bass. The first is to set the active EQ flat and then add or cut B(M)T as required. The other approach is to just turn the B(M)T up to 11. One will have a big affect on the tone.

Edited by bass_ferret

Its not the cheapest option in the world, but I use this [url="http://www.tonebone.com/tb-bassbone.htm"]http://www.tonebone.com/tb-bassbone.htm[/url] to balance and swap between my Bongo/Ric and a Stagg EUB. I run the BG through channel 1 which has a couple of pre set shapes (dont use em) and put the EUB through channel 2 with the full EQ. Its easy to balance the output with the level selectors, then adjust overall volume on your amp. It lso has a neat Boost /Effects Loop which can be set for Boost only, Loop only or Both. Has a seperate tuner out and a DI. Works perfectly for me but as I say is not cheap.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='361790' date='Dec 23 2008, 10:56 AM']The radial is an interesting alternative to the others. I think Mark at Bass Direct is selling them. The 15v DC power is a pain though.[/quote]

True. Its a bit more cumbersome, but I use a 4 gang splitter anyway so it doesnt cause me too much hassle.

I use an Active Warwick and Passive Fender Jazz.

I get over the gap in output by using an EBS Microbass with the Active -10db drop. Works a treat without taking the tone out of the Jazz. Best pedal I bought, it does loads of stuff very well. Not cheap though.

[quote name='bassman2790' post='361457' date='Dec 22 2008, 09:47 PM']I have one of those but it's not really a volume/gain issue ... It's the difference in tone between the basses that's difficult to compensate for.[/quote]

Just use one bass. It's a lot easier than trying to make two different basses sound the same.

Or, if you really want to use two basses for some reason and there's a particular glaring deficiency in the sound of one of them, get rid of it and buy a better one, or experiment with new electronics.

I wonder if you're trying too hard to get a particular sound out of a bass that doesn't really have that sound available. Do you use a lot of EQ? Or maybe you were too quick to judge the sound of the second bass - try swapping basses in rehearsals and ask the band if one sounds better than the other, and what they think is missing from the "bad" one (if either).

[quote name='OldGit' post='361391' date='Dec 22 2008, 08:53 PM']Behringer a-b switcher with different levels for each channel
It's terrible design, changing the battery is very awkward, the mains lead falls out and the jacks have to be very well seated to work consistantly... but it was cheap.[/quote]
It actually doesn't have different levels for each channel if you're going two As to one B - the level control 1 does the level exactly the same to both channels. If you're going one A to two Bs then the level controls affect each channel separately.

Mine has started getting hissy when using it with a mains adaptor so has been retired. Will be using a homebrew one when I've found my hookup wire and soldered it all up.

[quote name='tauzero' post='362024' date='Dec 23 2008, 02:35 PM']It actually doesn't have different levels for each channel if you're going two As to one B - the level control 1 does the level exactly the same to both channels. If you're going one A to two Bs then the level controls affect each channel separately.[/quote]

Then maybe a Boss LS-2 would be a better solution (if matching two volume levels is the issue, which it clearly isn't in the case of the thread starter).

I switch to my fretless for a few numbers. Never had a problem with a drop in volume or tone changes, other than what would actually be desirable for a change to fretless.

Both basses are passive and have p/j pups so their output is roughly similar anyway.

Don't think that helps you much.