Why become a member? ×

Jaco, this is why he's the uber-dude

steve-soar

Just looking at vinyl and cd's I have, Godspeed you Black Emperor, Loop, Edwin Collins, Stump, Art Blakey, Blamange, Human League, Earth, Wind and Fire, Bootsy Collins, James Brown, Motorhead, I could go on, what I'm trying to say is that for me, I don't have a genre that I passionately guard, I just love good music.

I'm sorry about the 14 year old boy quip (ARGH), I love some metal too.

I originally posted the Jaco clip to show how cool I thought he looked, it was a different time back then, we live in very uptight times, (nearly as uptight as Jacos white keks).
This being Basschat, I'm not suprised that this has turned into a "my dad's bigger than your dad's" contest. :)

[quote name='steve-soar' post='359774' date='Dec 20 2008, 06:36 PM']This being Basschat, I'm not suprised that this has turned into a "my dad's bigger than your dad's" contest. :)[/quote]

:huh:
And you did say right at the top post..
'This IS A MILLION years old'... :huh:
Been fun reading though..
Especially the reply..
'Jaco's a legend [ supposedly ]'

Pure first class bollox..it dont get any better than that.

Garry

[quote name='steve-soar' post='359774' date='Dec 20 2008, 06:36 PM']Just looking at vinyl and cd's I have, Godspeed you Black Emperor, Loop, Edwin Collins, Stump, Art Blakey, Blamange, Human League, Earth, Wind and Fire, Bootsy Collins, James Brown, Motorhead, I could go on, what I'm trying to say is that for me, I don't have a genre that I passionately guard, I just love good music.

I'm sorry about the 14 year old boy quip (ARGH), I love some metal too.

I originally posted the Jaco clip to show how cool I thought he looked, it was a different time back then, we live in very uptight times, (nearly as uptight as Jacos white keks).
This being Basschat, I'm not suprised that this has turned into a "my dad's bigger than your dad's" contest. :)[/quote]
Its not turned into X is better,or bigger, than Y,in any shape or form...Its just that for both parties or 'Icons' (Jaco & Cliff) are both held in near same reverance,but in different genres,and for the 1st time...I might add....the 'Metal' fans have actually shown a far more mature and reasoned set of responses and postings than the 'Jazz' set....And its shocked a few I think,but its not the first time.

BOTH players are dead,and though they cast shadows...Looooonnng shadows..great techniques,sounds,and were part of ABSOLUTELY massive bands and upon massive sales,even their deaths were unnessercery and far to early,but since their passing,its also revealing to have a keen sense of passion in their memory.

As nice as it is to love those that played well,and created genres,ideas,techniques etc etc.....You have (that means everyone) to move on,theres better out there,and if not,be it.

Edited by ARGH

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='358455' date='Dec 19 2008, 12:26 AM']I've never really had a view on him until watching that clip.

All I can say is what utter dog sh1t. Firstly, stop twiddling with f***ing knobs you gay. No one wants to see that. Also, its all loops. No one likes looping apart from Steve Lawson.

And whats with that distorted noise? That ain't music where I come from. That's a f*** up.

I cannot believe anyone could tap their foot to that. The audience are on the verge of starting a slow clap.

By the end of that, I'd be looking forward to listening to that split-arse singing about a yellow taxi.

I have a simple rule with music. If an musician is only liked by people who play that instrument, stay well clear.

As for being a total f***ing dude - I'd describe him as a f***ed up junkie who should have been more careful when picking his fights.[/quote]Why is Joni Mitchell a split arse? Is that how you think of women?
I think you do have a simple rule with music and that is that you don't like it (you have said this yourself), if that is the case, why are you a member of basschat?

[quote name='ARGH' post='359803' date='Dec 20 2008, 07:15 PM']As nice as it is to love those that played well,and created genres,ideas,techniques etc etc.....You have (that means everyone) to move on,theres better out there,and if not,be it.[/quote]

Would you apply this logic to everything in life ? if so we should all be driving round in new cars , living in new houses and playing new basses ?
In my book there is not better out there so why should I move on just because these guys are old / dead. I view them in the same way as I would Bach or Mendelssohn, both are dead but one I still enjoy listening to.

Edited by Prosebass

[quote name='Prosebass' post='359850' date='Dec 20 2008, 08:22 PM']Would you apply this logic to everything in life ? if so we should all be driving round in new cars , living in new houses and playing new basses ?
In my book there is not better out there so why should I move on just because these guys are old / dead. I view them in the same way as I would Bach or Mendelssohn, both are dead but one I still enjoy listening to.[/quote]

I think if we take what ARGH is saying in context, we should develop and better our own ideas and techniques without looking to the past or becoming clones of what went before.

Individuality is very important, become all you can be...I tried very hard for a long while there to play like billy sheehan - hopeless it was! I now know who I am, what my sound, style and technique is, it is me! Not technically brilliant nor ground breaking, could get much better but developing me is more fun.

andy

[quote name='steve-soar' post='359774' date='Dec 20 2008, 06:36 PM']This being Basschat, I'm not suprised that this has turned into a "my dad's bigger than your dad's" contest. :)[/quote]

Don't you mean this being Basschat, it starts as a reasoned discussion and someone violently disagrees. It escalates into a "My knob's bigger than your knob" contest, then tBBC comes along and blows everyone into the weeds with his almost supernaturally scatalogical prose.

Several people are very offended by his comments. Someone suggests 'ignoring' offensive posts.

It then evolves into a slagging of the moderators because they cautioned someone on another thread for a comment that was far less scurrilous.

A concerned member drags it back to the original topic, but it's too late. Savage recriminations ensue.

Then someone else gets the serious ar$e, some other geezers start yelling '"Calm down, he's not worth it", Bilbo tips up and lays some calming jazz vibes on us, Mrs Tinman posts something very sweet. The Mods cop on and urge restraint, it settles down, then someone starts it up again, then it all goes quiet till the next time.

I've only been coming here since July, but I've got it sussed now.

Edit to say:

...and I love it!

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='359953' date='Dec 20 2008, 10:57 PM']Don't you mean this being Basschat, it starts as a reasoned discussion and someone violently disagrees. It escalates into a "My knob's bigger than your knob" contest, then tBBC comes along and blows everyone into the weeds with his almost supernaturally scatalogical prose.

Several people are very offended by his comments. Someone suggests 'ignoring' offensive posts.

It then evolves into a slagging of the moderators because they cautioned someone on another thread for a comment that was far less scurrilous.

A concerned member drags it back to the original topic, but it's too late. Savage recriminations ensue.

Then someone else gets the serious ar$e, some other geezers start yelling '"Calm down, he's not worth it", Bilbo tips up and lays some calming jazz vibes on us, Mrs Tinman posts something very sweet. The Mods cop on and urge restraint, it settles down, then someone starts it up again, then it all goes quiet till the next time.

I've only been coming here since July, but I've got it sussed now.[/quote]
5 months ......congrats. You've found that out quicker than some. Welcome to musicians,as much as we would like to think as 'Bassplayers' are better that the thin stringers,we are just as the same....just as human.

Its why Finnbass exists,its like the chillout room,some of us are welcome.....

[quote name='steve-soar' post='358266' date='Dec 18 2008, 08:49 PM']Body, bass, sound, oh yes.
[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=fOqR84PtctA&feature=related"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=fOqR84PtctA&...feature=related[/url][/quote]
terrible tone and not very intresting, where was the groove? ;< i've heard jaco do some way better stuff than that but his tones always been terrible

[quote name='steve-soar' post='359999' date='Dec 21 2008, 12:30 AM']Hello, I'm Conway Twitty.[/quote]

Is that rhyming slang for totally lagered by half past midnight? :)

Or is it like a sort of secret Masonic phrase initiating me into the Finnbass cult? :ph34r: ( No need to sell me - I like the Finns. Great vodka and lots of tasty reindeer).

Edited by skankdelvar

Didn't Conway Twitty appear on a few episodes of Family Guy? Not as a cartoon but actual film of him singing?

back to the music - My signature in Talkbs is "I would like to get through one thread without mention of Jaco"

I personally have never got the facination with him. I cannot see anything that strikes me as being outstanding. The thing he does with recording a bit live and then playing over the top of it as Michael Manring now does - isn't that what Les Paul invented in the 50s as sound-on-sound?

I've always hated the sound he got. When I play a fretless I don't get a sound anything like that and I'm glad. I got involved in a fair few arguments on talkbs with people who couldn't get their heads round someone not liking the almighty Jaco. According to a lot of people there everyone has been influenced by him whether directly of by another player that you like. I proposed that this was, or course, bollokcs.

I'm happy if people get a kick out of what he did and I tried to get into his playing but he just doesn't do anything for me.

[quote name='Delberthot' post='360041' date='Dec 21 2008, 04:37 AM']Didn't Conway Twitty appear on a few episodes of Family Guy? Not as a cartoon but actual film of him singing?

back to the music - My signature in Talkbs is "I would like to get through one thread without mention of Jaco"

I personally have never got the facination with him. I cannot see anything that strikes me as being outstanding. The thing he does with recording a bit live and then playing over the top of it as Michael Manring now does - isn't that what Les Paul invented in the 50s as sound-on-sound?

I've always hated the sound he got. When I play a fretless I don't get a sound anything like that and I'm glad. I got involved in a fair few arguments on talkbs with people who couldn't get their heads round someone not liking the almighty Jaco. According to a lot of people there everyone has been influenced by him whether directly of by another player that you like. I proposed that this was, or course, bollokcs.

I'm happy if people get a kick out of what he did and I tried to get into his playing but he just doesn't do anything for me.[/quote]

A very honest and reasonable answer, Delberthot.

At the end of the day, it's all relative really. People can hold opinions on whether or not to like the style of a certain bass player, but to dismiss their playing as meaningless nonsense is a bit much, and somewhat insulting to the intelligence of those who hold said bassist in high regard. For example, I can't listen to the bassist out of Muse (or the band really), but I do respect that they're a very talented bunch of guys who are great at what they do.

Each to his own, horses for courses etc, but skankdevlar and others were right in saying that to violently criticise someone else's taste in bass players (the basis of this thread) is probably not the best way to conduct oneself on the forum.

[quote name='Delberthot' post='360050' date='Dec 21 2008, 05:06 AM']I like listening to Dusty Hill. Never going to be in the top 10 of techincal bass players but he's great to listen to/[/quote]

A bit OT, but Jet Harris of The Shadows is one of those type players for me. Fantastic melodic basslines, but bafflingly simple in their construction and playing!

[quote name='Delberthot' post='360041' date='Dec 21 2008, 04:37 AM']Didn't Conway Twitty appear on a few episodes of Family Guy? Not as a cartoon but actual film of him singing?

I'm happy if people get a kick out of what he did and I tried to get into his playing but he just doesn't do anything for me.[/quote]
Whilst having a very diiferent viewpoint on this to you Delbethot. Thanks for a reasoned and well put post (great Talkbass sig by the way!).
Kind of rounds off this rambling thread quite well really but I'm sure that it'll run and run ad nauseam.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='359953' date='Dec 20 2008, 10:57 PM']Don't you mean this being Basschat, it starts as a reasoned discussion and someone violently disagrees. It escalates into a "My knob's bigger than your knob" contest, then tBBC comes along and blows everyone into the weeds with his almost supernaturally scatalogical prose.

Then someone else gets the serious ar$e, some other geezers start yelling '"Calm down, he's not worth it", Bilbo tips up and lays some calming jazz vibes on us, Mrs Tinman posts something very sweet. The Mods cop on and urge restraint, it settles down, then someone starts it up again, then it all goes quiet till the next time.[/quote]
:)

But you forgot to add:

Someone mentions how 'this sort of sh*t never happens on Finnbass...' :huh:

I remember a similar disussion to this on basstalk when Janek Gwizadala came along and told everyone who didn't like Jaco that they were inferior to him, arn't really human beings and then left ina huff when everyone called him a c*nt .

Good times :)

Edited by Waldo