Why become a member? ×

Jaco, this is why he's the uber-dude

steve-soar

[quote name='BassMunkee' post='359071' date='Dec 19 2008, 07:16 PM']Sorry - but it leaves me cold.
Heretical as it may be it's just some aimless noodling - largely without any real point to it, it seems to me.
To be honest he might as well be tuning up.
Sorry but I just don't get it, and that's no diss on you guys that do.

However...
If you wanna a real man play the bass, check this out: [url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7_wGFfrJv4Y"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7_wGFfrJv4Y[/url][/quote]

Thought it was April 1st for a moment there...unbelievable ! and I'm not referring to Mr Frustrated Guitarist's playing , if you can call it that.....but hey each to his own.

[quote name='Prosebass' post='359080' date='Dec 19 2008, 08:25 PM']Thought it was April 1st for a moment there...unbelievable ! and I'm not referring to Mr Frustrated Guitarist's playing , if you can call it that.....but hey each to his own.[/quote]
Completely agree with you. Man, that was... pathetic. Really. My first thought was that was one of those overdubbed fake "shred" videos but apparently it was real.

I can see why some people can´t get into Jaco but I have no idea why anyone would dig Cliff Burton.

[quote]Thought it was April 1st for a moment there...unbelievable ! and I'm not referring to Mr Frustrated Guitarist's playing , if you can call it that.....but hey each to his own.
Completely agree with you. Man, that was... pathetic. Really. My first thought was that was one of those overdubbed fake "shred" videos but apparently it was real.

I can see why some people can´t get into Jaco but I have no idea why anyone would dig Cliff Burton[/quote].
You guys are funny - you sound so old.
And I'm 37.
Bless your cotton socks.

Edited by BassMunkee

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='359341' date='Dec 20 2008, 01:08 AM']Well, IMO asking me what is best between a Cliff Burton bass solo or a Jaco Pastorius bass solo is a bit like choosing between eating a worm or eating a snail.

FWIW, that Cliff Burton thing sucks. I like the way he ROCKS OUT all the way through it. ha ha ha[/quote]

+1 on all of that.

Metal

Its the genre you Jazzers fear,because it out improvises you,and the musicians are stronger,and far far more innovative,both in note choice and equipment. And best of all.......WE AINT SMUG ABOUT IT AND CHICKS LIKE US!!!

Edited by ARGH

[quote name='ARGH' post='359375' date='Dec 20 2008, 04:18 AM']Metal

Its the genre you Jazzers fear,because it out improvises you,and the musicians are stronger,and far far more innovative,both in note choice and equipment. And best of all.......WE AINT SMUG ABOUT IT AND CHICKS LIKE US!!![/quote]

lol! :)

this still does it for me: does anyone have the tab for this or know where to get it?

[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ohResYM7lhI&feature=related"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ohResYM7lhI&...feature=related[/url]

andy

Edited by andy67

[quote]Its the genre you Jazzers fear,because it out improvises you,and the musicians are stronger,and far far more innovative,both in note choice and equipment. And best of all.......WE AINT SMUG ABOUT IT AND CHICKS LIKE US!!![/quote]

I love Metal, AND Jazz. Again just lucky I guess. And sober now too.

[quote name='andy67' post='359386' date='Dec 20 2008, 08:09 AM']lol! :)

this still does it for me: does anyone have the tab for this or know where to get it?

[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ohResYM7lhI&feature=related"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ohResYM7lhI&...feature=related[/url]

andy[/quote]

Masaki is cool. VERY tight and switches style so fluently.

[quote name='andy67' post='359386' date='Dec 20 2008, 08:09 AM']this still does it for me:[/quote]

Ha ha, I love the fact that according to the screen it appears to be called "Love My Bone"!

I feel another Spinal Tap quote coming on:

"It's a lovely piece of music, what is it called?"

"Lick My Love Pump...."

[quote name='ARGH' post='359375' date='Dec 20 2008, 04:18 AM']Metal

Its the genre you Jazzers fear,because it out improvises you,and the musicians are stronger,and far far more innovative,both in note choice and equipment. And best of all.......WE AINT SMUG ABOUT IT AND CHICKS LIKE US!!![/quote]If being a 14 year old boy all your life is your thing, then fair play to all Metallers.
Heavy Metal FTW.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='359499' date='Dec 20 2008, 12:28 PM']If being a 14 year old boy all your life is your thing, then fair play to all Metallers.
Heavy Metal FTW.[/quote]
Thats a really thought out,intelligent,and mature reply Steve.

Heres my reply.If you want to penis measure skill,timing,melodic content,volume,or ability,maturity,or humour Ive a million of them.

Ive met a buttload of 'Mature' LCM Jazzers,10 years back,before the Scandi's blew the dust out of the place,snotty nosed,social retards,that stayed in their glass mountains of self induced arrogance....beards and clarinets,suits and berets...Dinosaurs from teens,the most miserable,ill mannered,up themselves corpses that wandered LS,BD,and YO postcodes.

[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=QOb6JSQd-Qw"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=QOb6JSQd-Qw[/url]

[quote name='Soulfinger' post='359176' date='Dec 19 2008, 09:14 PM']Completely agree with you. Man, that was... pathetic. Really. My first thought was that was one of those overdubbed fake "shred" videos but apparently it was real.

I can see why some people can´t get into Jaco but I have no idea why anyone would dig Cliff Burton.[/quote]
Absolutely +1. I know it's individual taste and all that, but whenever I see vids of Cliff Burton solos I can't help wondering what all the fuss is about and why Metallica fans still seem to think he's so irreplaceable.

BTW, I'm something of a jazzer (but I do like some metal too... see, you can do both), and the only thing I 'fear' about metal is being accidentally caught in the eye by a pointy headstock. :)

[quote name='Rich' post='359566' date='Dec 20 2008, 01:41 PM']Absolutely +1. I know it's individual taste and all that, but whenever I see vids of Cliff Burton solos I can't help wondering what all the fuss is about and why Metallica fans still seem to think he's so irreplaceable.

BTW, I'm something of a jazzer (but I do like some metal too... see, you can do both), and the only thing I 'fear' about metal is being accidentally caught in the eye by a pointy headstock. :)[/quote]
Cliff's legend is partially because of his ,sad,tragic,demise,and in a genre of root hugging (the heavier you get the way harder it is to break from the mighty riff) he wrote lines that were counterpoint,and SOOOO part of the tune,Thrash was the pick up of the Gauntlet from Motorhead,basically a primal,how far can you go with speed and volume,often it DID look childish,but Cliff,he went that way,and threw in melody,.......Ron Broder was another,check out Coroner's 1st lp,in fact ,nearly everything by Coroner is musically impressive.

I still maintain there was one Bassist that blew them all away,but never got the cred because he only had 1 lp,before he died....Pointy BC Rich included.

Roger Patterson of Atheist,
[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=QGfUWIU_l8Q"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=QGfUWIU_l8Q[/url]

If you just wait,What I play might change your mind too.

Its easy to think its all noise,like all Jazz is navel,but both are so alike,it hurts.

Edited by ARGH

...light blue touch paper, and stand well back...
The reactions of some you so-called Jazz Sophisticates reveal you to be as insular and narrow-minded as you probably think I am.
The truth is that "metal" encompasses many different styles, and within a lot of those styles there are individuals and bands who can very much be considered to be innovators, and who are very much better musicians than you or I will ever be; from the intensity of Napalm Death with Mick Harris developing the Blast Beat, to the precision of The Dillinger Escape Plan and the Mathcore genre, to Godflesh and Justin Broadrick pretty much defining industrial metal, not to mention Post-Rock innovators like Isis and Pelican.
Then you have Steve Harris, Cliff Burton, and laugh if you will - Joey Demaio [sp] to name but three.
Metal as it stands today is not about being 14 and having ripped jeans and being able to play Welcome To The Jungle - it covers a lot more than that, and yes it does encompass jazz to an extent - and many other things, it isn't just noise - even when it is noise.
Now I'm sorry if I insulted the Jazz Club's Sacred Cow but try as might I simply don't get why you think he's so good. I'm open to persuasion and maybe the OPs choice of vid was a bad one but as it stands that's my opinion.

Edited by BassMunkee

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='359398' date='Dec 20 2008, 09:25 AM']I love Metal, AND Jazz. Again just lucky I guess.[/quote]

+1000

What will eternally baffle me is why anyone thinks "their" genre is better. How's about thinking outside the box and labelling it all....*gasp*....music?

Edited by 4000

There is a compromise of sort, all Jazzers who want to get into metal need not to go any further than Ephel Duath:

And I've only just realised that the singer kind of looks like Dood.

Edited by Josh

[quote name='4000' post='359675' date='Dec 20 2008, 04:12 PM']...What will eternally baffle me is why anyone thinks "their" genre is better....[/quote]

"My" genre is better. Jazz and metal pale by comparison and you know why? It's better because [b]I[/b] like it.

I defy anyone not to succumb to the movement known as North Asian Throat Funk and the sublime 9.5-string counterpoint lines of the god-like Nanki-Poo Ming.

If you don't get it, you're sub-everything and next up for the firing-squad in my head. :)

Edited by skankdelvar