Why become a member? ×

Jaco, this is why he's the uber-dude

steve-soar

[quote name='steve-soar' post='360074' date='Dec 21 2008, 09:33 AM']I love some of Jacos stuff but some of it, like the instructional video is awful.
I would not have liked to have been stuck in a lift with him, as I don't get on with braggers and show offs.[/quote]

Interesting how we have different perceptions on this, as I got a lot out of his instructional video, as much philosophical as technical. Certainly, it is clear he was unwell to some extent during the recording of this video, but he struck me as genuine and quite charming, in a geeky kind of way. I didn't get the impression of him being a bragger or show off, just someone totally into what he was doing.

Whatever one's opinion of the music he made, there are certain observations that can be objectively made;

- he had a superb sense of time.
- he had a superb sense of melody and harmony.
- he wrote some pretty nifty tunes.
- I'm told by people who saw him live that he sounded like nobody else at that time.
- he changed the way people approach the bass guitar.

.... and he could groove on simple lines when the tune calls for it.

It would have been a privilege to have met this guy and hear his thoughts, in a lift or otherwise. I bet he could have played a mean "Girl From Ipanema"...

Jennifer

[quote name='endorka' post='360562' date='Dec 21 2008, 10:55 PM']Interesting how we have different perceptions on this, as I got a lot out of his instructional video, as much philosophical as technical. Certainly, it is clear he was unwell to some extent during the recording of this video, but he struck me as genuine and quite charming, in a geeky kind of way. I didn't get the impression of him being a bragger or show off, just someone totally into what he was doing.

Whatever one's opinion of the music he made, there are certain observations that can be objectively made;

- he had a superb sense of time.
- he had a superb sense of melody and harmony.
- he wrote some pretty nifty tunes.
- I'm told by people who saw him live that he sounded like nobody else at that time.
- he changed the way people approach the bass guitar.

.... and he could groove on simple lines when the tune calls for it.

It would have been a privilege to have met this guy and hear his thoughts, in a lift or otherwise. I bet he could have played a mean "Girl From Ipanema"...

Jennifer[/quote]

I agree with you on most of what you say Jennifer, the video to me is the end, Jaco trying to keep it together, or get back on track....I think the video was done at a time when nobody wanted to know Jaco...he even jokingly says "gimmie a gig" at one point. I don't think it offers much, it's at a time when he wasn't coming up with anything new, relying on old "Jaco licks" I don't think it shows him on top of his game at all....maybe the odd glimmer. IMO of course :)

The trouble is that youpube has far too many vids of Jaco at the end, when he was mindspanked most of the time, fully in the grip of his bipolar thing and quite obviously past his best. All that facepainting nonsense and so on. If you look far enough, beyond the noise, there are plenty of early examples of him in his prime.
Of course there will be folks who still hate his playing and his sound, but that's just personal taste. You don't like Jaco, I don't like Cliff Burton. Simple isn't it? All this nonsense about metallers all being kids or jazzers being snobs or metallers getting all the chicks or jazzers all having beards/berets*, c'mon it's a load of pointless crap. As 4000 said, why can't we just call it all 'music' and have done with this playground bollocks?

[size=1]* earlier on, I believe jazz-fusion was even referred to as 'kiddy-fiddling'; I used to be in a fusion band and would gladly do so again, and I also have kids... consequently I find this description fcking outrageous and far from playground or humorous. I don't think I'm being over sensitive. Take it back immediately.[/size]

[quote]* earlier on, I believe jazz-fusion was even referred to as 'kiddy-fiddling'; I used to be in a fusion band and would gladly do so again, and I also have kids... consequently I find this description fcking outrageous and far from playground or humorous. I don't think I'm being over sensitive. Take it back immediately.[/quote]
That'll be BBC.
Again.

[quote name='Rich' post='360709' date='Dec 22 2008, 09:30 AM']* earlier on, I believe jazz-fusion was even referred to as 'kiddy-fiddling'; I used to be in a fusion band and would gladly do so again, and I also have kids... consequently I find this description fcking outrageous and far from playground or humorous. I don't think I'm being over sensitive. Take it back immediately[/quote]
Erm... wrong Rich. From how I read it, the BBC was trying to describe his level of hatred for the fusion style. Read it in context and you'll see.

No doubt he'll pop up and prove me wrong though! :)

[quote name='Rich' post='360709' date='Dec 22 2008, 09:30 AM']earlier on, I believe jazz-fusion was even referred to as 'kiddy-fiddling'[/quote][quote name='tombboy' post='360827' date='Dec 22 2008, 11:50 AM']Erm... wrong Rich. From how I read it, the BBC was trying to describe his level of hatred for the fusion style. Read it in context and you'll see.[/quote]
I'm wrong?

[quote name='BBC (no surprises there eh?']If it's anything that could be described as "Jazz" or [b]its kiddy-fiddling cousin "Fusion"[/b], then I'm setting fire to my face.[/quote]
Nope, I'm not.
Sure he was describing his hatred for the style, but there are ways of doing it and ways of doing it, y'know? How the f*** exactly does fusion become paedophilia? Sorry, but I object.

[quote name='Rich' post='360836' date='Dec 22 2008, 12:08 PM']I'm wrong?

Nope, I'm not.
Sure he was describing his hatred for the style, but there are ways of doing it and ways of doing it, y'know? How the f*** exactly does fusion become paedophilia? Sorry, but I object.[/quote]

What point are you making?

We all agree that kiddie-fiddling is wrong. We all agree that murder is wrong. Would you object if tBBC said 'they *murdered* that song'?

Edited by bremen

[quote name='Rich' post='360836' date='Dec 22 2008, 12:08 PM']I'm wrong?

Nope, I'm not.
Sure he was describing his hatred for the style, but there are ways of doing it and ways of doing it, y'know? How the f*** exactly does fusion become paedophilia? Sorry, but I object.[/quote]
Then take it up with him in a PM. Simple. That's what the mods advised me to do once (might even have been you!) with BBC and all was resolved. Also I think if ANYONE here forms a link between Fusion and paedophilia based on that comment then they should pack up their computer and return it to the shop where they bought it as they're obviously to stupid to own one. :)

I'd have thought it was obvious. Fusion gets described as paedophilia: that's utter nonsense. As I said earlier, I used to play fusion & would like to do so again, and I have kids, so I personally find it to be offensive nonsense. Am I being so unreasonable?

I dare say now I will be told to chill out, get a sense of humour, it's just his way, god you're so sensitive, and blah blah blah.
No.

EDIT: there y'go, apparently I'm stupid now. Jeez.

[quote name='Rich' post='360851' date='Dec 22 2008, 12:20 PM']I'd have thought it was obvious. Fusion gets described as paedophilia: that's utter nonsense. As I said earlier, I used to play fusion & would like to do so again, and I have kids, so I personally find it to be offensive nonsense. Am I being so unreasonable?

I dare say now I will be told to chill out, get a sense of humour, it's just his way, god you're so sensitive, and blah blah blah.
No.

EDIT: there y'go, apparently I'm stupid now. Jeez.[/quote]
Not what I said at all Rich and yes, you DO need to f***ing chill out!! TBH, you have offended me now. You've called it offensive nonsense, which I agree with. You are obviously too intelligent to believe the link... right? So HOW have I called you stupid? :)

[quote name='Rich' post='360851' date='Dec 22 2008, 12:20 PM']I'd have thought it was obvious. Fusion gets described as paedophilia: that's utter nonsense. As I said earlier, I used to play fusion & would like to do so again, and I have kids, so I personally find it to be offensive nonsense. Am I being so unreasonable?

No.[/quote]

What harm has he done though? It's not as if he's advocating the practice of paedophilia. Nor is he calling anyone that plays fusion a paedophile.

Yes, I have kids too, and I'm completely ambivalent about fusion. And I have disagreed with tBBC on many occasions, but his words have never harmed me.

I'm not claiming to be actually harmed, just offended, that's all. We're just disagreeing over his words in exactly the same way as people have been disagreeing over whether metal or jazz is better, with some people taking more offence of comments made than others. Maybe I am being a bit knee-jerk, but I still didn't like it. Happy to knock it on the head now though.

Also, I remember seeing the original help-line call thing with the phrase in it about packing up their computer to return it to the shop where they bought it as they're obviously to stupid to own one, and it didn't mention Jaco once :)

[quote name='Rich' post='360876' date='Dec 22 2008, 12:37 PM']Also, I remember seeing the original help-line call thing with the phrase in it about packing up their computer to return it to the shop where they bought it as they're obviously to stupid to own one, and it didn't mention Jaco once :)[/quote]

Remember this?

[url="http://www.weakendproductions.co.uk/movs/jebsjobs.html"]http://www.weakendproductions.co.uk/movs/jebsjobs.html[/url]

[quote name='fatrabbit' post='361516' date='Dec 22 2008, 10:41 PM'][url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=tKCwH3amLaU"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=tKCwH3amLaU[/url]

Hehe, there's a whole bunch of these, mainly for guitarists.[/quote]

The funny thing is, to my ears this is just how his real solos sound!

[quote name='Waldo' post='361941' date='Dec 23 2008, 01:20 PM']The funny thing is, to my ears this is just how his real solos sound![/quote]

:) ......nah, the weird thing is, that's true...of the later stuff anyway! Always been a Jaco fan but some of the performances towards the end are so bad.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='358266' date='Dec 18 2008, 08:49 PM']Body, bass, sound, oh yes.
[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=fOqR84PtctA&feature=related"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=fOqR84PtctA&...feature=related[/url][/quote]

[u]TAKE 2.[/u]

I've re-run it, this time a lot louder and watched lots of the Weather Report stuff, Joni M and Jaco. I'm beginning to get this, having put them all together. Not that I'll ever be a major fan, but it's not just the notes is it? It's about bringing the bass guitar out of the shadows like no one had ever done before and showing it to be a stand-alone instrument. It wouldn't have worked in rock, but Jazz Fusion. that'll do.

He probably couldn't have done it without the swagger and eccentricity.

Thanks for the prod. Balcro