Why become a member? ×

what do you use for band practice?

project_c

I traded my TE SMX rig in for a nice lightweight Ashdown ABM 500 2x10 combo and it's great for rehearsals and small gigs. I can carry it on my own, it fits in the boot of my Mazda 3 and sounds great.

Loud enough? Definitely, I did a gig the other week with our loud drummer, his kick was mic'd and I was on less than half volume! And it didn't fart in the slightest - wicked little thing, it is.

Oh and it has a nice valve drive, so so compressor and reasonable Octaver built in.

G

[quote name='ardi100' post='358338' date='Dec 18 2008, 09:50 PM']I use my Roland DB500 combo for rehearsals and gigs.

Haven't done loads of gigs yet but for rehearsals it fills the room, and our drummer is loud. Playing a school hall with 1000 kids in it tomorrow so that should test it out![/quote]

Filled the hall and drowned out the guitarist! Very, very happy indeed!!

Markbass 1x15 "Jeff Berlin" turned right down for rehearsals and about 50% for gigs if not DI'd or 25% for effectivley on stage monitor. Played at loads of different jam nights against (yes against) wannabe guitard gods and the the loudest drummers I have ever heard and it's always held it's own on 300W used to run an extension cab to use the 500W available but never got the main volume above 30% so stopped using it.

Masive sound and wonderful tone with a very effective EQ

Oh yeah, and you can carry it with one hand :)

thanks for all the replies. some really interesting suggestions there. the Markbass Mini 121P i use gets plenty of volume and ok tone, but i think the small speaker presents problems because of the size of the room we rehearse in. the response is very uneven, the drummer and guitarist both complain that i'm not loud enough, but the percussion / electronics guy complains that all he hears is bass - and i hear wildly different things depending on where i'm standing / sitting.

so now i'm trying to decide whether adding another speaker instead of turning the volume up might solve the problem by giving a more even overall sound, or to instead buy a seperate head and a larger cab. difficult to know what's right, any ideas?

project_c

I could give you all the burb about:

your sound engineer ( me too) just hearing bass and problems with standing sound waves creating low level feedback for him as your bass rebounds off hard surfaces at practice (why does he not just mic you if you have a sweet rig and turn the others down),

your drummer can't hear you cos he gets his head down and goes for it and is suffering brain damage from loud noise :)

and your lead guitarist having optional deafness (that's guitarists I'm afraid) :huh:

let's cut to the chase...........you really have a case of gas that is growing by the day and you are trying to persuade yourself to ask Santa for something new ........ !!
:huh: :huh: :o

No offence, only teasing...........been the sound man for God knows how many practices and gigs and you should remember that you need to trust what he/she hears out front and NOT what you hear - even if you have good monitoring .....you are probably projecting far more and far cleaner than you realise..... :huh:

[quote name='ezbass' post='358149' date='Dec 18 2008, 06:00 PM']As my band is currently using a school hall I take my LMII and Schroeder 1212L, which is my gig rig too (nice and compacy, not to mention light). If we use rehearsal rooms with PA I don't take any amp and just DI into the PA using my MXR M80.[/quote]

Another LMII/Schroeder 1212L user here.

Fantastically light, fantastically small, fantastic tone and plenty plenty loud enough... I'll be able to test my newly aquired Modulus Flea after Xmas, if i don't cut through and have great tone i think i might as well give up! :)

[quote name='High score' post='359862' date='Dec 20 2008, 08:43 PM']project_c

I could give you all the burb about:

your sound engineer ( me too) just hearing bass and problems with standing sound waves creating low level feedback for him as your bass rebounds off hard surfaces at practice (why does he not just mic you if you have a sweet rig and turn the others down),

your drummer can't hear you cos he gets his head down and goes for it and is suffering brain damage from loud noise :)

and your lead guitarist having optional deafness (that's guitarists I'm afraid) :huh:

let's cut to the chase...........you really have a case of gas that is growing by the day and you are trying to persuade yourself to ask Santa for something new ........ !!
:huh: :o :huh:

No offence, only teasing...........been the sound man for God knows how many practices and gigs and you should remember that you need to trust what he/she hears out front and NOT what you hear - even if you have good monitoring .....you are probably projecting far more and far cleaner than you realise..... :huh:[/quote]

ok you have a fair point there about Santa, i must admit... :huh:
but i assure you, it's all for the sake of the band and the music we play, as opposed to just wanting something nice and new and shiny. (honest)

ha ha knew it..............glad you're being a man about it and fessing up to the truth...........new, shiny and more flashing lights roolz.............

why do you think I preferred being a sound man as opposed to playing? Ok I admit it I sit in dark corners cos I have no mates, but all that gear, all those flashing lights.............oooer......

:) :huh: :huh:

My practice rig is Hartke 3500 head (not overly light but hey, it was cheap and sounds good) -> one of my Nemesis 1x15s. The head is 2U cased, so the whole thing fits in my Mondeo boot with ease and I can carry it all in one go with my bass gigbag slung over my shoulder. Takes seconds to set up, and the only people to leave before me at the end are the horn players 'cos they have bugger all to carry :)

For practices I've used my Hartke HA3500 and Hartke Pro 2200 cab (2x12", 4 Ohms) and am very happy with the sound I get. The head on it's own is quite thin sounding on its own, but really cuts through in a band setting. I use an Aphex Bass Xciter between my bass and the amp to get a much fuller sound and would recommend the pedal to anyone wanting to 'phatten' up their amp sound.

I built an BFM Omni 10 last summer and have yet to test it in anger. I've just had an audition for a band (not taking an untested cab to an audition!) and will be taking the Omni 10 to the next rehearsal.

• 5 weeks later...

[quote name='umph' post='357933' date='Dec 18 2008, 02:13 PM']trace elliot v6 > matamp 2X15 very very loud[/quote]

Do Matamp make bass cabs off the peg or was this a special order? Also, anyone know if they make bass heads too? Any good???

Both Guitarists in my band have Matamp stacks which sound AMAZING so really i guess i should get one for Low end... kinda like a band uniform! :P

I cant see it replacing my Aggy DB750 but i'd love to see the look on their faces if i turned up to a gig with a Matamp stack just slightly taller and louder than theirs! ;)

[quote name='artisan' post='357912' date='Dec 18 2008, 01:51 PM']alternately if we practice at Bash studios in Harrogate i use their totally sh*te [b]Carsboro bass bomber [/b]& man is it sh*te,but at least it saves me lugging my rig about.[/quote]

The Carlsbro bass bomber is genuinely the best amp I've ever played through. People think I'm taling the piss when I say that, but to me it makes my bass sound exactly like a bass should. I love everything about it.

The rehearsal room we use used to have a bass bomber. I wouldn't say it was shi7e but I wouldn't say it was good either. It did get broken tho.
I use a Markbass cmd102p for everything. Gigs, rehearsals, at home, it has a good volume control on it so I can adjust the level of sound to suit.
Been thinking of adding another cab but so far I've never needed any extra volume. Often I don't bother going thru the PA so I have more headroom & control :brow:

My setup ATM (Due to the fact, that my amp is sh*t, and my MAG300 + 4x10" hasn't arrived yet) is my Zoom B2 pedal thru the vocal PA/random speakers that I find. This is really the best choice - you only have to bring the pedal and some cables ;) But, since the school already bought drums for the music room, I might persuade them to get a Laney RB-something, so that I wouldn't need to lugg around my 1/2 stack, with the exceptions of real shows.
Cheers,
Fek.