Why become a member? ×

Selmer Catalogue

Happy Jack

Then the Hofner semi-acoustic basses:

Scans deleted - see Post #34.

In case you're wondering where the Violin and Club basses are, they weren't yet being imported to the UK in 1963.

When this catalogue went to print, no one was that interested in another new pop group from Liverpool. Macca only had a Violin bass because he was working in Germany when he bought it.

Edited by Happy Jack

I used to have a Futurama bass just like the one in beerdragon's photo except mine was red. The whole of the front was a single piece of plastic including the 'scratchplate' and the pickup housings. The rest of the plywood body was covered in red textured vinyl.

I bought it after a disastrous gig where I broke a string on my main bass (a Burns Sonic) and had to do the rest of the gig with the support band's bass - a Grant violin bass copy strung with flats and on a strap so long that it hung down by my knees... However it never sounded even remotely as good as the Burns, plus it was 32" scale which meant that now I had two no standard scale basses but both needing different hard to get strings which was simply too much trouble.

It was still in perfect condition when I sold it to the bassist who also owned the afore-mentioned Grant violin bass. I wonder where it is now?

Thanks for sharing those

I used go and press my nose against shop window and dream about the futurama I thought it looked much cooler than the only fiesta red strat in portsmouth at the time.

I later bought a hofner president for the sum of 46 gns and later a marshall 4x10 blues breaker combo for 110 gns.

Wish I still had the amp.

[quote name='bumnote' post='354473' date='Dec 14 2008, 07:11 PM']Thanks for sharing those

I used go and press my nose against shop window and dream about the futurama I thought it looked much cooler than the only fiesta red strat in portsmouth at the time.

I later bought a hofner president for the sum of [b]46 gns[/b] and later a marshall 4x10 blues breaker combo for [b]110 gns[/b].

Wish I still had the amp.[/quote]

And for you youngsters out there, can I just say that was a lot of money in those days.

[quote name='BigAlonBass' post='354679' date='Dec 14 2008, 11:20 PM']1968-16 years old, dead caterpillar on top lip, playing as part of my Dad's "Resident Band" at a Local Working Mens Club Dance Night. Second-hand, hand-painted Artist Bass. God, how the time flies. :)

[attachment=17264:My_Pictu...date_070.jpg][/quote]

My vague recollection of my Artist bass is that it was actually quite good.

[quote name='BigAlonBass' post='354679' date='Dec 14 2008, 11:20 PM']1968-16 years old, dead caterpillar on top lip, playing as part of my Dad's "Resident Band" at a Local Working Mens Club Dance Night. Second-hand, hand-painted Artist Bass. God, how the time flies. :)[/quote]

I'm digging those stripe position markers, not so much the string spacing or the scale...

[quote name='Stingray5' post='354757' date='Dec 15 2008, 03:14 AM']....Now how about the old 'Bell's Music (Surbiton)' catalogue, anyone?....[/quote]
Bells was still there until about 5 years ago. It's a discount golf store now! I heard that Eric Clapton brought his first guitar from there.

Did anyone here ever go to Pan Music in Wardour Street? It was a great building..... the Flamingo was in the basement, the Whiskey-A-Go-Go was on the first floor and Pan was on the second floor. I brought my Vox Foundation from there for about £80. Wow, I've got to sit down!!!

[quote name='chris_b' post='354840' date='Dec 15 2008, 10:26 AM']Bells was still there until about 5 years ago. It's a discount golf store now! I heard that Eric Clapton brought his first guitar from there.[/quote]
Wow, I thought they'd gone years ago. Back around the early 70's my brother and I used to wait in anticipation for the Bell's van to pull up with whatever it was we'd sent off for. One order I remember was a 4x12 Sound City cab; all brand new and still covered in plastic as the delivery guy hauled it up to the front door. Only problem was who was gonna get to blast through it first! :)