Why become a member? ×

Selmer Catalogue

Happy Jack

[quote name='BigAlonBass' post='354679' date='Dec 14 2008, 11:20 PM']1968-16 years old, dead caterpillar on top lip, playing as part of my Dad's "Resident Band" at a Local Working Mens Club Dance Night. Second-hand, hand-painted Artist Bass. God, how the time flies. :)

[attachment=17264:My_Pictu...date_070.jpg][/quote]
How much were you on as a wage? Bet it was worth it!

[quote name='ARGH' post='355318' date='Dec 15 2008, 07:56 PM']How much were you on as a wage? Bet it was worth it![/quote]

£2 a night. :huh: To put it in perspective, I had just started my Apprenticeship, and my weekly wages were £5.8s. :) (£5.40 to all the youngsters reading this.) :huh: Gawd, I was rich! :huh: :huh:

£1000 p.a. was a good wage for a man with a family. £2000 p.a. meant you'd made it. Luncheon Vouchers at 1/6 per day were a perk worth having.

When Status Quo sang about [i]riding in a three-grand Deutsche car[/i] they were talking about a top-of-the-range Mercedes or BMW, not a Beetle!

Aye Big Al ... you were lucky.

[quote name='BigAlonBass' post='355355' date='Dec 15 2008, 08:54 PM']£2 a night. :huh: To put it in perspective, I had just started my Apprenticeship, and my weekly wages were £5.8s. :) (£5.40 to all the youngsters reading this.) :huh: Gawd, I was rich! :huh: :huh:[/quote]

You wouldn't still have a set list to share with us by any chance?

[quote name='lonestar' post='355401' date='Dec 15 2008, 09:45 PM']You wouldn't still have a set list to share with us by any chance?[/quote]
I think any paper that the Set Lists were written on would have crumbled to dust by now. :huh: The way it worked was:- Each Band Member was given a folder with his particular sheet music in it, in the correct order, and that's what you played that night. The next night, different folder, different dots, ad infinitum. Half the time, I was that busy reading the music, I didn't even know what song it was, unless it was announced. :) Things that spring to mind are "The Darktown Strutters Ball", "Woodman Spare That Tree" and even "Cocktails For Two" (the Spike Jones version, that's being used on the Schweppes advert at the moment.) One of the Club Committee used to get up an do the announcements and the odd Vocal track when required. The rest of the evenings were generic Waltzes, Foxtrots, and the like. Boring, huh? :huh:

• 3 months later...

Time to tidy up my attachments (oo-er Missus) so I've deleted all these scans.

They will remain available for the foreseeable future at [url="http://tinypic.com/useralbum.php?ua=Ifp6rJezD9eUkDszkd8k%2FQ%3D%3D"]http://tinypic.com/useralbum.php?ua=Ifp6rJ...zkd8k%2FQ%3D%3D[/url] and also through my signature (below).

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='357251' date='Dec 17 2008, 08:05 PM']What? You preferred it to the Freeman's catalogue with Lulu?[/quote]

That's a good point. Of course the above and the Brian Mills catalogue figured highly in my emotional development

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='460111' date='Apr 11 2009, 08:44 PM']Time to tidy up my attachments (oo-er Missus) so I've deleted all these scans.

They will remain available for the foreseeable future at [url="http://tinypic.com/useralbum.php?ua=Ifp6rJezD9eUkDszkd8k%2FQ%3D%3D"]http://tinypic.com/useralbum.php?ua=Ifp6rJ...zkd8k%2FQ%3D%3D[/url] and also through my signature (below).[/quote]
Ah, The Salmon & Ball. Bobby Moore's old pub.
I see in your sig you're playing there. I'm playing the same night otherwise might have paid a visit.
Have a good 'un anyway!

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='460201' date='Apr 11 2009, 11:03 PM']I didn't know there was a connection to Bobby Moore - did he own it, or just drink in it?[/quote]
He owned it for a time though I can't remember the exact years (mid to late 70s?). It was actually renamed 'Mooro's' for a while.