Why become a member? ×

Cables

deej

What cables do you guys use for your pedalboards?

George L's seem to be the top ones around, but seem so expensive. Are there any alternatives out there, or are they pretty much untouchable? And what about these cable kits you can buy? Ive heard theyre prone to coming loose, but its a big plus to be able to make all cables to personal size.

Im still stuck with my cheapo cables from years ago, y'know, those nice brightly coloured ones.. I need some better ones a.s.a.p. but im looking around for the best options. Ive got quite a large pedalboard too, so lots of cables = lots of money. Damn it.

If you're having wiring issues on your board - major spaghetti problems or clumps of jack plugs interfering with eachother (the Boss LS-2 is a swine for this) then go with George L's because they are a real boon for that sort of thing. If you don't have any such problems then stick with your cheapo cables and make "he's mental" signs at anybody who says they're harming your precious "tone". :)

• 3 weeks later...

There are some decent quality leads available from Adam Hall

[url="http://www.adamhall.com/uk/AH_K--Adam-Hall-Cable-Patchcords__p--project_2__k--57__f--1"]http://www.adamhall.com/uk/AH_K--Adam-Hall..._2__k--57__f--1[/url]

for £2.50 or less.

I have a couple - well made with good heatshrink / metal connectors.

The connectors are right angled and not too big. I can see I think a 'rivet' type connection to the jack plug itself so they are probably not as durable as the premium Neutrik connectors but should be fine in a static ( eg pedal board ) application.

The all metal plugs also give superior shielding to the budget moulded multi-colour types. I have some of those too and they pick up noise. I bought the Adam Hall cables to replace these and they are much better.
I can't see the construction of the cable due to the heatshrink but I would guess lapped screen as they are fairly flexible ( as needed for inter fx connections ) and noise rejection seems fine.

[quote name='deej' post='347539' date='Dec 6 2008, 10:19 PM']What cables do you guys use for your pedalboards?

George L's seem to be the top ones around, but seem so expensive. Are there any alternatives out there, or are they pretty much untouchable? And what about these cable kits you can buy? Ive heard theyre prone to coming loose, but its a big plus to be able to make all cables to personal size.

Im still stuck with my cheapo cables from years ago, y'know, those nice brightly coloured ones.. I need some better ones a.s.a.p. but im looking around for the best options. Ive got quite a large pedalboard too, so lots of cables = lots of money. Damn it.[/quote]

Got some Warwick ones to tide me over till i can raise more money. £15 for 5 delivered (always buy a couple spare!). I'll let you know what they're like when i get em

EDIT: Like these:
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WARWICK-20CM-PATCH-CABLE-GOLD-TIPPED-PRO-QUALITY_W0QQitemZ200255329234QQihZ010QQcategoryZ47075QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WARWICK-20CM-PATCH-C...1742.m153.l1262[/url]

Edited by lemmywinks

[quote name='Kirky' post='369768' date='Jan 4 2009, 10:22 AM']Can you recommend some decent quality angled jacks that aren't too expensive?[/quote]

I'd never get anything less than neutrik tbh. They'll last longer than any cheaper alternative!

The more you spend in the firstplace, the less you'll spend in the long run! You get what you pay for :)

-Jake