Why become a member? ×

Fret Wraps

Rick05

Hi,

Iv been looking at playing around with different sounds and techniques and come across a few videos of people using fret wraps. 

This may have been covered before but I just wanted to ask people about opinions and experiences of using them with different styles of music.

Thanks,

Rick

I use one most  of the time , they stop the open strings ringing out and they give me the slightly muted sound I like . I also use  foam under the strings at the bridge sometimes which gives a nice dampened sound to your fretted notes. They were quite expensive when they came out but you can get them from eBay now for about £4 🙂

• Like 1

They are useful if you are tapping, or don't use floating thumb technique. I find them particularly useful on a 5 string so the B string doesn't rings or when my thumb lifts from a muting position. (It's basically a crutch for my poor technique!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have one that i tend to use just behind the nut. It adds a splash of colour to the maple headstock. I originally got it to help stop ringing strings when i play the middle bit in Alright now. I play with a pick and find it can sound a bit messy if the wrong string is ringing out. We dont play it now but it still looks cool and gets comments.

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Like 1

I used them on all my basses for a couple of years but for the past year or so haven’t used one at all - partly by accident as I bought a new bass and never got around to getting a new fretwrap for it. Long story short, I haven’t missed it, and I’m sure not having it has only served to clean up my technique! I play 99% fingerstyle with floating thumb technique though so YMMV.

I’d still recommend them but you’ll survive without them - depending on style of course :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rick05 said:

Thanks for all the advice guys. I play with a floating thumb, but I am trying more tapping, so I’ll give one a go soon and post feedback.

thanks again

For tapping, you’ll definitely see benefits with wraps. I’m sure you’ll love them!

I just use a regular piece of velcro, the sort of thing I use to keep my leads tidy in the bag, just in front of the nut. It mutes the open strings slightly, but I very rarely play an open string, but it does stop to the B & E string ringing when I am not playing them. I play six strings with a pick, and I find it difficult to mute them effectively with my hand.

• Like 1

On 03/02/2019 at 18:30, Reggaebass said:

I use one most  of the time , they stop the open strings ringing out and they give me the slightly muted sound I like . I also use  foam under the strings at the bridge sometimes which gives a nice dampened sound to your fretted notes. They were quite expensive when they came out but you can get them from eBay now for about £4 🙂

You can pay for them on ebay but they don't arrive...I ordered two - the first order didn't arrive, Chinese seller claims to have sent out a replacement pair which didn't arrive either. Lots of promises and request to be patient, even asked me to leave positive feedback...doing this would discredit genuinely good sellers.

You can buy them from the UK (BC member) for about £6 IIRC - I have two which help with ringing strings but I do use my palm to muffle as well so I probably don't need them.