Why become a member? ×

How many of you are converted (successful) guitarists?

Jamesemt

I started off playing cornet when I was 7, brass band type stuff really, then jazz trumpet when I was 11. I was volunteered as the bassist for a school jazz band when I was 13, even though I was a trumpet player, and had never even touched a bass; I always admired the two bassists in the 'proper' jazz orchestra though. I borrowed a bass over the school holidays but was really short then and couldn't reach the first fret, and I was really useless at it, having to coordinate both my hands, what's that all about?! So, i bought a guitar, played that for a few years and generally regarded as quite good, but got bored with it and decided to give bass a go again. I now haven't picked up a guitar seriously for about four years; shame really, as I have a nice strat sitting in my wardrobe! I've been happily playing bass for about five years now, and even though I'm still quite terrible, I have far much fun playing the bass than I ever did with the guitar.

I "played" guitar at home for about 6 months before I got a bass. That was about 20 years ago.

I've always had one. And enjoy playing other peoples, but hardly play my own. Am thinking of getting a new one :huh: I think if I got a nice one I'd play it more.

I always enjoy people's reaction to me picking up a guitar though. No-one ever hears me play one so it's a shocker for them when it dawns on em I can play a bit in my own way!

Although, thinking about it. I was in the school band playing acoustic when I was about 9. Never knew how to play it though. Just used to strum along!

I'm more of a failed drummer than a failed guitarist though. I had lessons at school and was ok at it - but was never allowed a kit at home. :)

Managed to nearly knock the end off my little finger last night playing drums at rehearsal (for one song...) so perhaps that's a good thing!

Edited by bigjohn

I started on bass first about twenty years ago, but about 7 years ago took up guitar to assist with the songwriting. Currently play bass in one band, and guitar and bass (half the set each) in the other. I'm competent at rhythm guitar (nothing special) and can solo a bit, but I always feel harried and under pressure playing guitar, whereas I feel relaxed and playing bass even though some of the bass lines are probably far more challenging than the "power chord" rhythms I tend to play on guitar. More importantly, I have FUN playing bass which I don't get playing guitar.

My father started me on drums when I was about 15, my brother tought drums, so it was sort of an obvious thing to do.....I didnt get on with setting up the drums - to much trouble for a 15 year old so it didnt last long.

Later that year when I was 16 I remember watching a concert with (Huey Lewis and the news) with the bass player playing a steinberger headless and stood back wearing black shades looking cool as you like.......It was the defining moment for me....I remember thinking...that looks easy....

Never wanted to play anything other than bass, more than happy with that choice to.... :)

Dave

Edited by david_l_perry

Back in my early teens i was desperate to play guitar, having idolised Nuno and Slash, and my music teacher at school knew about it.
When i started my GCSE's i was the only student in my music class and my music teacher said he needed to expand the music department's equipment stock and said he'd buy a bass guitar & amp, and a drumkit.
I bagged the spot at school bassist (even though i'd not played a note yet) and my best mate did the same for the drumkit - and became a very good drummer too as a result (he also converted from being guitarist too, saying that drumming was much cooler).
Apparently an electric guitar would overpower the school orchestra and wasn't really necessary whilst a bass would enhance the orchestra and definitely had it's place, so i ended up learning the bass (I bought a guitar for home soon after but I quickly 100% converted to bass quickly after that and haven't looked back).

After a quick dabble with drums, I started on guitar when I was about 13. A year later, when someone cannily pointed out that we didn't have a bass player, I got the 4-string because I was the least capable guitarist!!

At the ripe old age of 24, bass is still what floats my boat, and I haven't stopped gigging it in the last 8 years. Still play guitar, mostly for songwriting and recording, but occasionally do some 6-string gigs too. I still like to have a quick dabble with the drums when I get the chance, I think playing bass has made me a much better drummer! The bass to guitar ratio in my collection shows where my true calling lies though :)

Gulp! I have more guitars than basses!

Gibson ES175, Adamus steel string and Takmine nylon. Only because guitars aren't as versatile as basses. I use the guitars for writing and recording not for gigging (have done 2/3 gigs on guitar over the last 20 years but, whilst I can pull it off, I would rather be a capable bass player than a weak/mediocre guitarist).

I did think about gigging on guitar recently because most of the guitar players around me aren't actually that much better than me but, as I said, I am not really attracted to mediocrity. There's already too much of that around.

Played acoustic guitar briefly before bass, but always wanted to be the bassist. Still have a guitar to play around with but it gets used a helluva lot more by the guitarist in my band rather than me...

Also learnt trombone, french horn, piano, euphonium... Kinda miss the trombone a bit, I have to say - it's been 10 years since I picked one up (sob)

I started on guitar, was a mediocre lead guitarist back in the 70s and the bar has been raised considerably since then. Or maybe I've just slid down the bar after too many drinks.

I do still play guitar, for songwriting and for the acoustic duo that is myself and Mrs Zero, though I would like to expand the band to a four-piece and shift back to bass. My rhythm guitar skills are reasonable and I can fingerpick as well (I started learning on a classical and have always used both plectrum and fingers).

My name is KotS and I [i]am[/i] a Guitarist.. :)

When coming up with bass parts, I usually fall back on Sheehans advice "[i]when the drummer hits his bass drum you play a bass note[/i]" and work up from there. At the other end of the spectrum, being a Guitard who was originally inspired by 80's 'shredders' & 'tappers', I can find my way around a fretboard fairly quickly, thereby sounding impressive..!

This, ironically, means I have a reputation as a 'tasteful' bassist and get asked to play bass a lot... :huh:

Doesn't everyone start as a guitarist? Guitar is the show-off instrument, the camera natural goes to it (even in the case of Substitute when it's a bass solo and Townsend has his back turned). When you hear a Queen record you want to be Brian May even though it's Deacon making the rock beat.

Then when you actually try electric guitar you realise how divorced from the song alot of the parts are. Sure there are crunching AC/DC epics but alot of stuff the lead plays is an ethereal shimmer, and that's how it's meant to be. Once you realise that the real meat in the song is usually the bass then guitar parts start to feel lightweight.

Edited by cytania