Why become a member? ×

NBD! Hohner “The Jack” (Halloween Headless)

Pea Turgh

Just got in from meeting @scrumpymike to pick up this fantastic beast!

I first saw it in the classifieds here, then shortly after played it at the SW Bass Bash. I wanted it.

Fast forward a few months and here we be!  I will have to get used to the narrower string spacing (ironic as I posted about not liking narrow necks earlier in the week) and the lack of head, but my playing feels more fluid already. Looking forward to gigging it Friday!

025A5C76-042C-4A6F-B5B6-310C8F1242E8.jpeg

984C3C5E-42DD-4BFF-884E-C6893031260C.jpeg

FAB38E7C-E324-43FB-A008-AA53EE36BFBD.jpeg

Edited by Pea Turgh
  • Like 1

String spacing at the bridge is always tight on these, not so much the nut.  I've had a lot of the variants of these - the B Bass, Jack, various body-less B2 derivatives.  All be cracking basses.  A 5 string Jack would be interesting - anyone ever seen one?

I bought one of these about 13 years ago at Howard's Bass Place in the toon. I paid £160 for it, I think - I had gone shopping to buy my at-the-time girlfriend a present and ended up blowing the dough on a new bass! I loved the bridge pickup tone but I didn't think much of the blend/neck pickup sounds. Not that it mattered, as the bridge tone was mint.

• 2 months later...

Can anyone suggest a good set of strings for this bass?

My usual preference is D’Addario chrome flats 40/60/80/100, but I can’t see that they make double ball end versions.

Not adverse to rounds, just prefer flats.

Also thinking of upgrading the preamp, or going passive.  I’m venturing in to new territory there, so advice gratefully received!

Thanks in advance!

Status Hotwires are worth a look from http://www.status-graphite.com

They're just over £16 a set and they have a range of gauges. When ever I've replaced whatever strings came on the current "headless-de-jour" (I've been through a few :D) it's tended to be Hotwires. I like 'em and they seem to last well.

(Just noticed you said you prefer flats... Current Hotwires are roundwound, but I have had flats on a headless... I'll have a dig around when I get home to see if I can find what they were... Status used to make flatwounds so it could have been I had an old set of those. The only other thing I can find is La Bella flats: https://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/strings-c1/sets-c865/bass-guitar-c34/la-bella-s500l-double-ball-end-flatwound-bass-strings-43-104-stainless-steel-p13529)

As for preamps... I've got a Steinberger Spirit XT-2 that uses the same size humbucker style pickups and I'm thinking of dropping in a couple of EMG HB series pickups, using the volume pots they come with and adding an EMG BTC control stacked bass/treble pot for tone control. Apparently it's a direct drop in for the three controls that our respective basses share, though there's more room for manoeuvre in the Jack bass. An alternative would be the BTC System which has volume, blend and a bass/treble stack.

Edited by anzoid
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 30/10/2018 at 18:07, Paul S said:

String spacing at the bridge is always tight on these, not so much the nut.  I've had a lot of the variants of these - the B Bass, Jack, various body-less B2 derivatives.  All be cracking basses.  A 5 string Jack would be interesting - anyone ever seen one?

I have one 🙂

5_string.thumb.jpg.11d5050ef617728ba69a894de461075c.jpg

And a B2 🙂 🙂

case.JPG.1127b32345ebcf3c9173a29c90823546.JPG

• Like 1