Why become a member? ×

Hello from Nr Rockfield, Monmouth

Ricky 4000

I've been lurking and reading some of the interesting threads on basschat for a while now, so I feel it's time to introduce myself to you fine people. :hi:

Firstly, I apologize for the unimaginative screen name / username. I could say it's actually my real name, and that '4000' is a common surname around these parts - but that would be untrue on both counts... so predictably, yes I've named myself after my bass. :facepalm: A mono Model 4000 (made in 1973 IIRC), in black, that I bought when it was already in in a well battered (yet playable) 2nd hand state, about 30 years ago. And I haven't really thought to buy another bass since (except a cheap Fender acoustic bass, but that doesn't count).

Now, however, after all these years, I'm quite interested in choosing a Jazz (or Jazz copy) - perhaps as a nice little project to work on / upgrade / find my soldering iron in the garage. And also I'd like to buy another bass for my son (who is a lefty player)... I've been dipping in the "Reviews" section a bit, and have already stumbled on a few good ideas to follow, that I wouldn't have had a clue about on my own.

So in closing, thank you for accepting my application to a great forum. B| I like the mix / balance you have, of older & younger players, gigging players, pros, amateurs, & those that just play at home.

I do think I'll fit in well here - if you'll have me? :) My only (possible) fault is that I do have a habit of trying to be funny at times. 9_9

ATB to you all - Phil

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum. 

I'm a regular visitor to Wales and always use the Rockfield road between Monmouth and Abergavenny when blasting around on my motorbike.  The road goes past Rockfield Studios. 

Edited by mep
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Ricky 4000 said:

....... My only (possible) fault is that I do have a habit of trying to be funny at times. 9_9

I would like to say that of myself too - but sadly, it's not my ONLY fault ;)

Hello and Shwmae from a fellow South Walian :)
I was in Monmouth a couple of weeks back - it still has a guitar shop! :)

Edited by Marc S
  • Like 1

Thank you for the warm welcome, fellows - it's good to be on here. B|

For sure this is a nice place to live, and it's always good to stop and take a moment to appreciate that.

I'd half-forgotten about the music shop in town! Jay Dyer used to have a tiny basement shop off Church St, that I used to frequent years ago. The shop you mention must be the one on the corner by the Kings Head (seems odd that I don't really go through the town that often these days). I'll pop in there this afternoon (as I have to go to the opticians). I could do with a few new cables if they sell some decent ones. 👍

• Like 1

3 hours ago, scalpy said:

Rockfield, the epicentre of Welsh rock'n'roll! Ever get down to visit Kingsley et al?

Hiya, yes - I don't work at the studios or anything (wish I did!), but am friends with them.

Kingsley and the "Rockfield All Stars" are rehearsing for one of their (now infamous) charity gigs this week actually (so I hear).

Have you recorded at the studios yourself? :)

I think Kingsley still has plans to turn the place into a rock n' roll museum one day! B|

21 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Thank you for the warm welcome, fellows - it's good to be on here. B|

For sure this is a nice place to live, and it's always good to stop and take a moment to appreciate that.

I'd half-forgotten about the music shop in town! Jay Dyer used to have a tiny basement shop off Church St, that I used to frequent years ago. The shop you mention must be the one on the corner by the Kings Head (seems odd that I don't really go through the town that often these days). I'll pop in there this afternoon (as I have to go to the opticians). I could do with a few new cables if they sell some decent ones. 👍

Yes, it's a really nice town :)
Lots of nice places to eat & drink - esp that riverside pub, by the old gatehouse on the bridge.... lovely spot
The music shop is up the top of the road from there. There is a pub near it (Weatherspoon) but can't recall the name of the pub

BTW. I can't recall which pub Dr Feelgood used to drink in, when they were recording at Rockfield? Must got there one day
Any details on the date of that charity gig? I wouldn't mind popping along

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Hiya, yes - I don't work at the studios or anything (wish I did!), but am friends with them.

Kingsley and the "Rockfield All Stars" are rehearsing for one of their (now infamous) charity gigs this week actually (so I hear).

Have you recorded at the studios yourself? :)

I think Kingsley still has plans to turn the place into a rock n' roll museum one day! B|

I was at Bridges for the last Kingsley extravaganza, although I left before he was on the dancefloor still entertaining after the rest of the band had packed up. 

My wife and I were there with Lisa Ward, we’re good friends with them after 15-20 sessions at the studios over the last two decades. I’m based in Hereford and work with a producer who uses Rockfield a fair bit, (he’s just had a number 1 record in Holland where the drums were done at the quadrangle) if he needs a bassist once in a blue moon I get the call. 

I love the place and I don’t think Kingsley will be turning it into a museum anytime soon if Lisa can help it, they’re super busy at the moment!

Edited by scalpy
Spelling
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Marc S said:

Yes, it's a really nice town :)
Lots of nice places to eat & drink - esp that riverside pub, by the old gatehouse on the bridge.... lovely spot
The music shop is up the top of the road from there. There is a pub near it (Weatherspoon) but can't recall the name of the pub

BTW. I can't recall which pub Dr Feelgood used to drink in, when they were recording at Rockfield? Must got there one day
Any details on the date of that charity gig? I wouldn't mind popping along

That's the place. Weatherspoons = The Kings Head.  I called into the music shop today. 👍 got myself a new instrument cable, and even had a little play on a Mexican Fender Jazz (in the sunburst finish) - Nice! 😎 The lad working in the shop was helpful too. I may have to call back in there soon...

Hrm, that might depend when/which time the Feelgoods were at Rockfield?  If they were there in the 70s, it could have been the bar at the Beaufort Hotel (where it's fabled that Freddy would often play the piano on a Saturday night, when Queen were in town). Or later on, you're more likely thinking of the Nags? (Nags Head pub), which is at the opposite end of town from where you were at the Gatehouse.

I remember the Feelgoods were recording at the Mill Studios (Charles Ward's place, a mile from Rockfield), just around the time that Lee Brilleaux (RIP) was diagnosed as being ill... very sad...

Charity gig: As Scalpy says below - they usually hold it at the Bridges community center. I'll find out when it is for you. Probably this weekend (or next) as they're rehearsing for it now. 👍

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mickeyboro said:

Welcome! I was a big fan of Man and Deke Leonard (he was best man, no pun intended, at my wedding) so Rockfield and S Wales are close to my heart...

Oh wow, I'm sorry I'm not sure which Mickey you are, but you may well know my brother in law - Dave Charles?

I had another local boy play at my (first) wedding - Dave Edmunds (only because he happened to be over from L.A. at the time, visiting at Rockfield, so they brought him along to the reception!). 😁

Edited by Ricky 4000

4 hours ago, scalpy said:

I was at Bridges for the last Kingsley extravaganza, although I left before he was on the dancefloor still entertaining after the rest of the band had packed up. 

My wife and I were there with Lisa Ward, we’re good friends with them after 15-20 sessions at the studios over the last two decades. I’m based in Hereford and work with a producer who uses Rockfield a fair bit, (he’s just had a number 1 record in Holland where the drums were done at the quadrangle) if he needs a bassist once in a blue moon I get the call. 

I love the place and I don’t think Kingsley will be turning it into a museum anytime soon if Lisa can help it, they’re super busy at the moment!

Haha, excellent. 😎 Isn't Kingsley just great? Mad, but also great! 😁

Lisa is lovely, and it'd be nice meet you at one of the events. I'm Linda Charles' brother - Phil. 👍

Good to hear that the studio's got lots of bookings too. 👍👍

Edited by Ricky 4000
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, TheGreek said:

I welcome you sir...(though not your choice of instruments)

What will be funny is how, every time you post, a warning sign will go off in John Hall's office...Hope he enjoys viewing the latest news on BC.

Haha, who is John Hall? If he plays a Ric' - I like him already! 😘

-----

And thanks again for the warm welcome - y'all. B|

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Oh wow, I'm sorry I'm not sure which Mickey you are, but you may well know my brother in law - Dave Charles?

I had another local boy play at my (first) wedding - Dave Edmunds (only because he happened to be over from L.A. at the time, visiting at Rockfield, so they brought him along to the reception!). 😁

The great Dave Charles from Help Yourself? Indeed I do!

Your stock is rising rapidly, my friend...😁 

1 hour ago, Mickeyboro said:

The great Dave Charles from Help Yourself? Indeed I do!

Your stock is rising rapidly, my friend...😁 

Well it's a small world!

Were you in one of those "Swansea Combos" yourself? Or perhaps you're one of the "Hampshire Border Raiders"? 😎

It was all half a generation before my time, but I have an old friend up the road who was (and is still) a massive superfan of the whole S. Wales thing. Endlessly talking about Deke Leonard, Micky Jones, Martin Ace, Terry Williams (who BTW I thought was ****ing brilliant when he was in Dire Straits).

Excellent! Soon I will be King! 😁

Edited by Ricky 4000
  • Like 1

Welcome!

My Nan was from Monmouth - Wigmore's in St Mary's Street was her family business.  My aunt still lives in the town, just off the Rockfield Road actually.

Many fond memories of the area, and still one of my favourite places to visit.  In fact, off to stay with my Aunt on Sunday night before dropping my son in Cardiff on Monday for a 3 day hockey camp (he's in the Wales U16 squad).

Cheers

Gareth

Edited by walbassist
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, walbassist said:

Welcome!

My Nan was from Monmouth - Wigmore's in St Mary's Street was her family business.  My aunt still lives in the town, just off the Rockfield Road actually.

Many fond memories of the area, and still one of my favourite places to visit.  In fact, off to stay with my Aunt on Sunday night before dropping my son in Cardiff on Monday for a 3 day hockey camp (he's in the Wales U16 squad).

Cheers

Gareth

Thanks, Gareth!

Wigmore's, now that was a local institution! I was in there almost every day, for years...

True story: I once watched the tubby celebrity astrologer Russell Grant, eat a donut in Wigmore's. Looked like he was definitely enjoying it too.

You must be very proud of your lad, playing hockey at such a high level. 👍

Regards - Phil

On 25/10/2018 at 15:48, TheGreek said:

I welcome you sir...(though not your choice of instruments)

What will be funny is how, every time you post, a warning sign will go off in John Hall's office...Hope he enjoys viewing the latest news on BC.

On 25/10/2018 at 22:36, Ricky 4000 said:

Haha, who is John Hall? If he plays a Ric' - I like him already! 😘

-----

And thanks again for the warm welcome - y'all. B|

I had to return to this, with the help of the forum search function... Now I get it (😁), and I have 6+ pages of related threads to look at! 😅

Hope mine isn't a fake... I've always been a bit suspicious of the neck -to- body joint. 😖

Edit: After some further reading - it seems I own a hot potato! 😁

The 4000 has the neck set into body, rather than the neck-through-body construction of the grown-up Rics... and nobody's going to the trouble of faking the basic one-pup model, that didn't sell very well anyway, shirly not...  

Edited by Ricky 4000