Why become a member? ×

Been here before...going on a hiatus?

AndyTravis

Just now, Bridgehouse said:

I’ve heard a few live now, both the head into a decent cab, and the combo. 

Guitarist in my other band has one too. 

They are quite simply excellent. 

Excellent. I'm planning on pairing the guitar amp with a Mesa PH212 cab, that's not been getting as much use as it should (and using the Mesa M6 head with my VK 210LNT which I've been finding is just a fantastic combination) :) 

1 minute ago, Al Krow said:

Excellent. I'm planning on pairing the guitar amp with a Mesa PH212 cab, that's not been getting as much use as it should (and using the Mesa M6 head with my VK 210LNT which I've been finding is just a fantastic combination) :) 

Dirty tease.

I’d use that cab and head to lay down some chewy thick bass grooves. 

(And the Katana works best through a nice 4x12 I have discovered - specially with creambacks in)

11 hours ago, Monkey Steve said:

mine is the opposite - he has plenty of free time, and seems to understand that in order to improve his guitar playing he's going to have to use some of it to learn how to play...he just can't seem to understand that at some point he's actually going to have to do it rather than talk about doing it if he wants to improve.  In theory he's an excellent guitarist in waiting.

He also doesn't seem to think that talent has any role to play, or perhaps more accurately that he has all the talent he needs, and that it's just a matter of finding the time to learn to play - there is no doubt in his mind that he will be able to do it.  He thinks that bass would be easier to learn because it has fewer strings than a guitar, and once when talking to a guitarist about forming a band (that came to nothing) suggested that he could play bass as it wouldn't take him long to pick it up.  I think there's a Dunning Kruger thing going on where he thinks that because he likes music a lot he must have musical talent, despite the absence of any actual evidence to support that (and the presence of quite a lot of evidence to the contrary)

I think my friend has a whole lot in common with yours.

Kind of burns me because he thinks what I do is easy. It took me a long time to figure out my strengths and weaknesses and finally come up with a style and the ability to execute.

I think, if anything, like a lot of us you get to the point where you make it look easy.

I'd like to see him try play, manage and pace an 8:00-12:00 show.

I'm no  hot shot bass player but it took a lot of practicing to get where I am. Understanding chords and scales my fills and how I bridge verse and chorus with the right choice of notes and feel.

I have a good connection with my basses.

Rant, sorry 

Blue

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bluewine said:

I think my friend has a whole lot in common with yours.

Kind of burns me because he thinks what I do is easy. It took me a long time to figure out my strengths and weaknesses and finally come up with a style and the ability to execute.

I think, if anything, like a lot of us you get to the point where you make it look easy.

I'd like to see him try play, manage and pace an 8:00-12:00 show.

I'm no  hot shot bass player but it took a lot of practicing to get where I am. Understanding chords and scales my fills and how I bridge verse and chorus with the right choice of notes and feel.

I have a good connection with my basses.

Rant, sorry 

Blue

I think anyone who has the stamina to play 4 hour sets several times a week, every week to appreciative audiences deserves massive respect from fellow musicians. You certainly have mine. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Teebs said:

Good news?

Haha.

well, word’s got out that I’m depping for a mate’s band on 23rd December for a posh hotel gig. 

So a few people have been in touch.

This offer seems a bit more me, so I’m meeting them all next week all being well.

• Like 4

Just now, Teebs said:

Nice one!

The Christmas gig offer was lovely 

“Trav, I need a bass player for a high profile gig in Manchester - I don’t want anyone else, but I appreciate you’re on a break. Would you consider it?”

Suppose it’s nice to be wanted 🤔😂

• Like 3

14 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

The Christmas gig offer was lovely 

“Trav, I need a bass player for a high profile gig in Manchester - I don’t want anyone else, but I appreciate you’re on a break. Would you consider it?”

Suppose it’s nice to be wanted 🤔😂

That's great news Andy....how nice to be tempted out of 'retirement' by such a sweet offer.

I really can relate with this, my Mrs calls me delboy because I shift gear all the while and this, really has me questioning my commitment to playing, and my current situation a jam a couple of times a month is hardly worth my effort or time even tho the rest of the band are great I don't reckon its going anywhere, I could sell and buy a nice motorbike and may do sooner rather than later, keep your fave bass Andy and shift the rest on and have some time away from it all and book your holiday, good luck matey on whatever you decide, PS amps and stuff can be replaced. 

• Like 1