Why become a member? ×

Been here before...going on a hiatus?

AndyTravis

41 minutes ago, oZZma said:

This is more or less my situation. You sure can relate and underdtand how depressed and descouraged I am about this thing.

This is a stretch, but if your playing with guys that have traditional full time jobs and family, the band will never be a priority to them.

Blue

1 hour ago, ianrendall said:

This. 

The only band I’m in and have been in for 23 years has all of what you describe. 

We are a 20+ member big band. We rehearse every week and do about 6-8 gigs a year. None of us are paid. It is purely a hobby band, but we are not ‘rubbish’.

On more than one occasion I do wonder why some players continue to play with us. All they do is moan and whine about this that AND the other. We rehearse new charts, they moan they can’t play it. I do what most people would do - find a recording or YouTube video, at least to get a vibe of the tune. The other guys? They put their horn back in their little bags not to be touched until next rehearsal. I just don’t get it. You’re in a big band. It’s quite a niche genre nowadays. You must be in this band because you love the music surely? If you can’t be bothered to research a ‘new’ number, that you should really already know, even though you say you are a fan of this music, then just stop. 

Myself, I live and breath my band. I’m on the comittee, I source new charts, I run the website and Facebook page. I make no money from it. The attitude of some other band members doesn’t anger me. It just disappoints me and makes me sad. The only money I make from bass playing is about £300 from a Christmas panto which pays for my and the wife’s Cotswold weekend. It’s lovely up there. 

When your an old timer like me that learned songs from moving that needle back and fourth on a machine called a " record player" YouTube song tutorials are great.

However, I know the type . The type that would rather not learn the material than look at a YouTube clip showing you exactly how to play a song. That would be way to much work.

Blue

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
Guest oZZma

My bandmate is having some serious health issues and will also have to undergo an  invasive surgery... Aside from the angst for his difficult situation, I really feel crushed by the idea of a hiatus we didn't want to take and we could not afford. 

I hope I find the mental energy to work on songs  alone to have some new material ready for the time we can work together again :( IF he does well :(

Good luck, little brother... 

1 hour ago, oZZma said:

My bandmate is having some serious health issues and will also have to undergo an  invasive surgery... Aside from the angst for his difficult situation, I really feel crushed by the idea of a hiatus we didn't want to take and we could not afford. 

I hope I find the mental energy to work on songs  alone to have some new material ready for the time we can work together again :( IF he does well :(

Wish him all the very best. 

I too have surgery coming up but its nothing overly serious apart from the usual risks that go along with any surgery. Hopefully i'll be back playing with the band in 3-4 wks

Dave

• 3 weeks later...
Guest oZZma
On 09/03/2019 at 09:58, oZZma said:

Can it be worse? Of course it can! They send me to work abroad for two months, so I will have to make an 8 hours trip to reharse (which will be possible only in weekends at this point)

Maybe we should book a holiday in Lourdes

• 2 months later...
Guest oZZma

We haven't played for a month, more or less. Luckily my bandmate's recovery was quick, he is strong! Strong as an ox! B|

We re-start playing today! I'm so hyped I'll get there 6 hours earlier xD

My drummer had (hand) surgery and was is off playing and even driving for at least 8 weeks. Still a few to go, and even then there's no guarantee he'll be able to start up where he left off.

I've been keeping myself busy with online collaboration with another mate who is getting back into music, so still playing bass and trying to play drums for him!