Why become a member? ×

Been here before...going on a hiatus?

AndyTravis

On 08/10/2018 at 11:25, ped said:

I found having an amp around the house was a bit depressing - it takes up a lot of room and is completely a reminder of the gigs you used to play and often they can lose money much faster than an instrument can. I also don't like playing amps at home; they shake items in the room and everyone can hear you (probably even next door) so I cannot concentrate!

So my advice is sell the amp, invest some time in deciding which bass to keep or have a bit of a cleanse and buy one great bass, then spend some of the money you've made on a really good home headphone based setup (my advice would be something like a Helix and a bassboard) - that way you can still play at home yourself in total bliss, along with music or whatever. It's a bit of an escape. 

Hey - can you describe your practice setup please? 

Ive a similar problem, at the mo my “me time” is after the little one has gone to bed ... and firing up an amp would go down very badly with all involved. 

13 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

Ive a similar problem, at the mo my “me time” is after the little one has gone to bed ... and firing up an amp would go down very badly with all involved. 

Sure mate it's something which had evolved over many years but I've been using it without any change now for about five years. Basically it's a bass into a Roland VB99 which acts as the 'hub' (although I note the Line6 Helix etc can do the same job probably). The 'hub' receives audio from my computer and acts as an audio interface. It also pumps the bass output into a TC Electronic BH800, which powers a Tecamp Bassboard. The hub also sends a signal to my headphones.

So at home I have an office chair on my baseboard in front of my computer, one monitor sits on the TC amp, I have my headphones on and can play along with anything on my computer, be it Youtube, Spotify etc. Using the VB99 I can control any effect and play synths too. Bloody love it. The reason I say it's like my own little world is because I get complete isolation from the outside world - the bass board makes you feel like you're in front of a massive stack and I get the purest and ideal sound from my headphones (wired Bose AE2W). When I've done any recording, either at home on this setup into Garageband or at an actual studio, I know the exact sound going to desk. I've also played with the VB99 live and have for each patch a 'live' setting which normally has a different 'mic' setup on the speaker sim, plus some changes to the reverb and a quick access EQ.

The setup is really good for listening to music, too - I can adjust the master on the TC to provide a bit of 'feel' when listening to music. One of the VB99 setting turns all the inputs off and a small amp (next to the TC) powers the HiFi speakers.

Sorry, I went on a bit there! Here's a pic with my studio assistant running some diagnostics

IMG_0144.jpeg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

Headphone amp. Got me through daughter's GSCE and A levels. I use a Zoom B3n - which obviously is primarily a very capable multi-fx but has been worth the investment for me just for its duties as a headphone amp with aux in.

Zoom B3n I.jpg

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

I love using headphones. Cranking up an amp at home shakes everything and becomes annoying, and smaller amps always sound a bit pokey to me. I prefer that nobody can hear me, too!

The Baseboard is the best thing I bought for home use. I really miss the 'feel' of the bass when I don't have it.

Do not ever think you're alone Andy.

Some of us have been where you are at this moment - and although you might not feel there's ever an end in sight - there will come a time, when you'll come back better.. for a rest.

Music was and still is my first love. I stopped playing, being in groups and gigging (for about 10-years), because it was the right thing to do. I was fed up and started a new chapter (husbandry, fatherhood, promotion at work - and even more work..)

I started up again in 2012, joined Basschat, and began writing my own stuff - which I'd never done before, and recorded an 'EP' - and learnt a ton of new things - still learning, growing and sharing the experience.

This >> "My Jazz Bass would take the six of us to Portugal for a Fortnight, probably". Nope - don't even think about it. Please keep the Bass - you'll thank me for it later..

However, if there's any gear that you haven't used in the last 12-18 months, no harm in thinking about moving it on. A compact set up is how it's going these days.

Good luck, and stay in touch here on the forum Andy.  Best wishes, Simon.

• Like 3

On 26/10/2018 at 03:02, LukeFRC said:

I’m serious about the danger of gas - not playing but having nice basses is ok if you can afford it - it’s crap if you spend more time talking about basses online than you do playing 

I know guys like that, all sorts of cool guitars, amps and effects. But not in a working band which is not a big deal ,but they never pick up an instrument to play it 

Lot's of excuses, and I'm sorry but the chances of becoming the next hot shot guitarist at 65 are not high. I'm not a hot shot bass player and I'm always playing.

I hope he doesn't see this post.☺️

Blue

Edited by Bluewine

On 28/10/2018 at 00:10, Bluewine said:

I know guys like that, all sorts of cool guitars, amps and effects. But not in a working band which is not a big deal ,but they never pick up an instrument to play it 

Lot's of excuses, and I'm sorry but the chances of becoming the next hot shot guitarist at 65 are not high. I'm not a hot shot bass player and I'm always playing.

I hope he doesn't see this post.☺️

Blue

I have similar friends - one in particular who can barely play the guitar (seriously - I'm one of the few people who has ever actually seen him play, and he basically can't) but has loads of them, and lots of effects and amps, recording software...for that day when he will actually sit down and learn to play his instrument. It's just a matter of time, he just needs to sit down and soon he'll be a virtuoso.  He's 47 years old and has yet to find the time.  I think he likes the idea of being a musician much more than he wants to actually be a musician - he was the (appallingly bad) singer in a band I was in 25 years ago, has never been in another band since (well, technically he was in another band with me a few years later - I knew nothing about it until I turned up at the first rehearsal...he lasted about three months before we sacked him) but likes to give the impression that he is simply "resting" between bands and will be ready to go again as soon as someone asks him. 

Among his collection is a Parker Nitefly, an impressive bit of kit with both standard pickups and a piezo, and you can split the output for separate electric and acoustic sounds.  So obviously he bought a fairly high end acoustic amp for those occasions.  He has never played the guitar outside of his front room, and I'm willing to bet that he's never used the amp other than when he first got it home from the shop. His last major purchase was a Variax, with the Line 6 effects module that allows him to control all of the guitar, effects and amp modelling settings...for an instrument that he basically cannot play.

He contacted me a couple of months ago as he is in the process of clearing out his two bedroom flat so that he can rent it out, and is moving into a new one bedroom place with his girlfriend next month.  Space will be at a premium in the new flat so he's asked me if i can store his spare musical equipment in my loft for a while.  The latest count is five guitars, probably a bass, and at least three amps, as well as a box full of reasonably high end effects.

His girlfriend has never heard him play.  She's looking forward to hearing him actually play, as up to this point all she's heard are the regular excuses of why he doesn't want to play her anything because he's working on "projects" that aren't finished and he's not ready to show them to anybody yet.

Still, if he keeps the musical instrument industry going, there's no harm, and we all get to laugh at him.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Monkey Steve said:

I have similar friends - one in particular who can barely play the guitar (seriously - I'm one of the few people who has ever actually seen him play, and he basically can't) but has loads of them, and lots of effects and amps, recording software...for that day when he will actually sit down and learn to play his instrument. It's just a matter of time, he just needs to sit down and soon he'll be a virtuoso.  He's 47 years old and has yet to find the time.  

Still, if he keeps the musical instrument industry going, there's no harm, and we all get to laugh at him.

My friend doesn't understand the dedication, time and discipline it takes to play guitar. He buys tutorials and never uses them. Problem is he doesn't have the time to practice, he has to work a lot of 12 hour days.

Blue

2 hours ago, Bluewine said:

My friend doesn't understand the dedication, time and discipline it takes to play guitar. He buys tutorials and never uses them. Problem is he doesn't have the time to practice, he has to work a lot of 12 hour days.

Blue

mine is the opposite - he has plenty of free time, and seems to understand that in order to improve his guitar playing he's going to have to use some of it to learn how to play...he just can't seem to understand that at some point he's actually going to have to do it rather than talk about doing it if he wants to improve.  In theory he's an excellent guitarist in waiting.

He also doesn't seem to think that talent has any role to play, or perhaps more accurately that he has all the talent he needs, and that it's just a matter of finding the time to learn to play - there is no doubt in his mind that he will be able to do it.  He thinks that bass would be easier to learn because it has fewer strings than a guitar, and once when talking to a guitarist about forming a band (that came to nothing) suggested that he could play bass as it wouldn't take him long to pick it up.  I think there's a Dunning Kruger thing going on where he thinks that because he likes music a lot he must have musical talent, despite the absence of any actual evidence to support that (and the presence of quite a lot of evidence to the contrary)

Edited by Monkey Steve

2 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Of course he does. He doesn't have the will to use his time to do it, thats different. 

I know people who get up earlier than they have to go to work to practice before they go. Sadly I am not in a band with any of those people!

1 hour ago, Monkey Steve said:

mine is the opposite - he has plenty of free time, and seems to understand that in order to improve his guitar playing he's going to have to use some of it to learn how to play...he just can't seem to understand that at some point he's actually going to have to do it rather than talk about doing it if he wants to improve.  In theory he's an excellent guitarist in waiting.

He also doesn't seem to think that talent has any role to play, or perhaps more accurately that he has all the talent he needs, and that it's just a matter of finding the time to learn to play - there is no doubt in his mind that he will be able to do it.  He thinks that bass would be easier to learn because it has fewer strings than a guitar, and once when talking to a guitarist about forming a band (that came to nothing) suggested that he could play bass as it wouldn't take him long to pick it up.  I think there's a Dunning Kruger thing going on where he thinks that because he likes music a lot he must have musical talent, despite the absence of any actual evidence to support that (and the presence of quite a lot of evidence to the contrary)

You know it would be worse if someone with his attitude actually did learn to play... I’ve read the threads about being in bands with ‘that’ musician ! 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Monkey Steve said:

This is why I learned to play Bass rather than be somebody with a guitar sitting in the corner of their bedroom. Many of the "guitarists" that I knew were waiting to wake up and be Jimi Hendrix....

9 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

This is why I learned to play Bass rather than be somebody with a guitar sitting in the corner of their bedroom. Many of the "guitarists" that I knew were waiting to wake up and be Jimi Hendrix....

Stares at the guitar in the corner of the bedroom...

37 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Mines in the lounge. It’s acoustic. My daughter likes me playing it. I figure she will realise I can’t actually play before her first birthday! 

I have one guitar upstairs. I belongs to one of my daughters, who begged for it as a birthday present some years ago, and then lost interest when she realised you had to learn how to play it. I've only got it so i can sell it for her. Looks kind of small in amongst my basses.

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

My Washburn HB35 has seen a bunch of basses come and go and survived a cull of the rest of my six strings, including a pretty mint ('cos it was never being used) 1996 Mex Fender Strat. Hmmm..is that a bit like sharing that I used to own a little used 1996 Ford Mondeo?

It could well be getting used again very soon and I'm even thinking of getting a little dedicated guitar amp - been told that Orange guitar amps pair quite nicely with bass cabs as they are quite mid heavy rather than toppy. It'll be nice to finally get something from the Bexleyheath boys!

Let's face it writing original material is a darned sight easier on a six string guitar than on a bass.

Edited by Al Krow

4 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

My Washburn HB35 has seen a bunch of basses come and go (and survived a cull or six strings), and could well be getting used again very soon. I'm even thinking of getting a little dedicated guitar amp - been told that Orange guitar amps pair quite nicely with bass cabs as they are quite mid heavy rather than toppy. And it'll be nice to finally get something from the Bexleyheath boys.

Let's face it writing original material is a darned sight easier on a six string guitar than on a bass.

I've run an Orange Tiny Terror guitar amp through an Ashdown ABM cab at a jam (to save taking 2 cabs - also had a Class D bass head there) and it sounded pretty good to me.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

It could well be getting used again very soon and I'm even thinking of getting a little dedicated guitar amp - been told that Orange guitar amps pair quite nicely with bass cabs as they are quite mid heavy rather than toppy. It'll be nice to finally get something from the Bexleyheath boys!

Honestly, a bass amp is fine with guitars, the fender bassman is one of the iconic guitar amps.

And in my book, anything sounds nicer than an Orange guitar amp!

26 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Honestly, a bass amp is fine with guitars, the fender bassman is one of the iconic guitar amps.

And in my book, anything sounds nicer than an Orange guitar amp!

My guitarist was trying to persuade me to go for a Blackstar...are Orange guitar amps really that bad?!

10 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

My guitarist was trying to persuade me to go for a Blackstar...are Orange guitar amps really that bad?!

Probably not. The guitarist in my band has an orange. Its sounds awful which it doesn't when he is using other things, but maybe there is something about the way he is using it or something.

If I was going for a guitar amp today, I wouldn't really be considering anything other than a katana.