Why become a member? ×

Spector fans!?!

thundachopz

47 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Sits really nicely in the mix.

Thanks for giving it a spin. Yes, I think it does a wonderful job. 
As I almost exclusively play fivers in a perfect world Spector would release a 5 string version of this exact spec but alas, that did'nt happen in the '70s so no reason for a 'reissue' either. 

13 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

I am guessing from the prices that the LT is better than the LX. why is that, and is what makes it difference worth it?

I prefer the LX to be honest. I'm not a fan of the Darkglass pre/Barts combo in the LT - too sterile/glassy. The Tonepump pre/EMGs combo in the LX has more of the classic Spector tone to my ears....

The LT is slightly weight relieved.... but if I want weight relieved I prefer my Euro Classic which has EMG BTS pre/EMGs.

All IMHO, YMMV etc etc

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, cetera said:

I prefer the LX to be honest. I'm not a fan of the Darkglass pre/Barts combo in the LT - too sterile/glassy. The Tonepump pre/EMGs combo in the LX has more of the classic Spector tone to my ears....

The LT is slightly weight relieved.... but if I want weight relieved I prefer my Euro Classic which has EMG BTS pre/EMGs.

Thanks - was looking at the one at andertons (not even sure they have it, even if they say that they can get it) whcih was the tonepump and the fluence pickups. I really liked the fishman pickups in the Dimension that I played (not noticing the B string issue that they say about on talkbass), I thought it was very clear. I certainly wouldn't be that interested in the darkglass preamp, as it seems more a dingwall thing.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Thanks - was looking at the one at andertons (not even sure they have it, even if they say that they can get it) whcih was the tonepump and the fluence pickups. I really liked the fishman pickups in the Dimension that I played (not noticing the B string issue that they say about on talkbass), I thought it was very clear. I certainly wouldn't be that interested in the darkglass preamp, as it seems more a dingwall thing.

I'll share my review video here for those who want to hear the LT in action. One of my students has an Aguilar loaded LX and we've compared the two. When I get a mo, if anyone is interested I'll post something. 

Just a quick note to say that, as I understand it, the capsule in the LT isn't the standard Darkglass version, its a Spector custom version with different EQ centres, much more in keeping with what we're used to from Spector. I really like it, it comes across as more punchy in the lows than the pillowy Tonepump. (Neither description should be taken as a negative, they're just different). 

https://www.bassgearmag.com/bassic-review-spector-euro4-lt-bass/

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Dood said:

I'll share my review video here for those who want to hear the LT in action. One of my students has an Aguilar loaded LX and we've compared the two. When I get a mo, if anyone is interested I'll post something. 

Just a quick note to say that, as I understand it, the capsule in the LT isn't the standard Darkglass version, its a Spector custom version with different EQ centres, much more in keeping with what we're used to from Spector. I really like it, it comes across as more punchy in the lows than the pillowy Tonepump. (Neither description should be taken as a negative, they're just different). 

https://www.bassgearmag.com/bassic-review-spector-euro4-lt-bass/

Yep, Different EQ points on the Spector version.

The normal version is quoted as:

Bass, +-12dB @70Hz

Mids, +-12dB @500Hz

High Mids, +-12dB 2.8kHz

On 3 Seperate Pots.

The Spector version is quoted as:

Bass +/-20dB @ 150 Hz

Mids +/-12dB @ 500Hz

Treble +/-12dB 3.5kHz, +6dB boost @ 1kHz

This is on 2 pots, for the bass and the treble.  Mids are adjusted internally on the board on a white flywheel type thing.

904510451_IMG_20220107_101113(1).thumb.jpg.721599c497b4904a702c1bd6ca1ef721.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bagsieblue said:

Bass, +-12dB @70Hz

Mids, +-12dB @500Hz

High Mids, +-12dB 2.8kHz

On 3 Seperate Pots.

Bass +/-20dB @ 150 Hz

Mids +/-12dB @ 500Hz

Shame they didn't bring the middle to a dual pot on the front - I guess it would be easy enough to do.

14 hours ago, Paulhauser said:

This one is at Mansons Guitars for £1,899.00 which is a bit steep but this is a limited edition plus they have it for a while and I guess the price should be negotiable. 

Thats annoying, I was in exeter last week and decided against going into mansons as they never have any interesting basses!

Turns out that Andertons who said they could get the LT actually couldn't and have now removed it from their site.

So probably out of the question cost wise unless something s/h turns up (which would be more sensible anyway).

I still like the dimension but it seems everything says that getting the korean dimension over the euros would be a bad move (even though I like fan frets, and it was nice to play).

14 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Turns out that Andertons who said they could get the LT actually couldn't and have now removed it from their site.

So probably out of the question cost wise unless something s/h turns up (which would be more sensible anyway).

Speaking of Andertons, they already have one of the new Euro 4 RSTs (Sundown Glow) in their clearance sale  (2 in stock). Sounds like a great deal: £1,729 instead of £2,399. Quite surprising given that Spector only launched the new RST series recently:

https://www.andertons.co.uk/bass-dept/bass-guitars/spector-bass-euro4rst-paulowina-body-w-flame-maple-top-sundown-glow

3 hours ago, cetera said:

All IMHO, YMMV etc etc

I wonder how much of this applies to the 5 string versions 5lx vs 5lt 
I have found the EMG PJ a very distinctive sounding combo and just like you this is what I associate the classic Spector sound with. 
My dual coil EMG equipped 5 string Spectors sound different (and very good in their own right) so I would love to hear how they compare to the LT5. I have been eyeing these but couldn’t try as of yet and am reluctant to buy - really don’t need another Spector….

2 hours ago, bagsieblue said:

Bass, +-12dB @70Hz

Mids, +-12dB @500Hz

High Mids, +-12dB 2.8kHz

On 3 Seperate Pots.

Bass +/-20dB @ 150 Hz

Mids +/-12dB @ 500Hz

This is on 2 pots, for the bass and the treble.  Mids are adjusted internally on the board on a white flywheel type thing.

904510451_IMG_20220107_101113(1).thumb.jpg.721599c497b4904a702c1bd6ca1ef721.jpg

Probably against common views, I actually really want to try the Spector LT Darkglass preamp in my two band bass here. I like the idea of the high centre for the bass frequency and that I wouldn't have to drill a third hole for the mids, that I rarely touch anyway! 

Spector fans, decided to thin the Spector herd. Both my 2018 Forte 4 in Vintage Tint Ash (only two were ever made in this finish, PJ Rubal has the other one) and my 2021 NS-2 in lava burst (well, that's what I call it anyway ;- ) are on their way out. Both are in "as new" condition as they have never left my living room and I only played them a few times each. I won't put them on BC, reverb, ebay etc. as I don't have the time to deal with all the hassle. However, I am always happy to hear from a fellow Spector friend from this thread (and I only mention it here). Think of getting them to BD by the end of next week the latest. So, let me know via PM if you are interested before I send them to BD and save yourself some quid before you buy them from BD anyway 😉 

1928408660_SpectorForte4_VTA.thumb.jpg.c697482d0cc4403a6bf1cd8490bf54b8.jpg    2038820327_SpectorNS-2CherryBurst.thumb.jpg.3b0d6e16463da43539f746fb42a4cab0.jpg

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, DoubleOhStephan said:

Are they Czech? Mines got the same narrower and maybe longer top horn as yours, that's quite rare isn't it?

The NS-94s were made in Korea to pretty much USA specs as far as I can determine.  This was at a time when Stuart Spector had temporarily lost control of his brand name.

Edited by ead
  • Like 1