Why become a member? ×

Spector fans!?!

thundachopz

5 minutes ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Look how much darker the colours on his bass are than on mine 😞

I know you shouldn’t have to pay more but have you thought of having it re-finished there’s some top guys around you could have more input with in the UK 

2 minutes ago, Bunion said:

Is that the hi-beams your using in DR? 
Thats  my brand for sure, I love the fat-beams though. 
Sun beams on fretless and I’m trying some pure blues on the Wal. 
love the tension on them 

Yes, the Hi-Beams. Maybe I'll try the Fat-Beams next!

7 minutes ago, Bunion said:

I know you shouldn’t have to pay more but have you thought of having it re-finished there’s some top guys around you could have more input with in the UK 

Good idea but I am not keen on spending even more dough and someone may love it like it is. As mentioned, maybe trying to replicate Mike's moon bass next 😉 

13 minutes ago, Bunion said:

Might be cheaper just to give him a ring and buy the original 🤣😂

Well, first I don't have his number, second he seems to be very attached to his moon burst bass as he explains here in the video (first 2 minutes, he also mentions all the fluids his bass has come in contact with over the years ;- ), so I guess that won't happen 🙂

30 minutes ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Well, first I don't have his number, second he seems to be very attached to his moon burst bass as he explains here in the video (first 2 minutes, he also mentions all the fluids his bass has come in contact with over the years ;- ), so I guess that won't happen 🙂

There you go then, I’m sure all his basses are the same, take that Spector into the garden and p!ss on it, that’ll darken that red right off… 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

I say AIC live in Leeds in 2018 and in B'ham in 2019. I saw Mike's Spector and told to myself - I need to have that! Well, I kind of got it, just not like I wanted it to be.

Anyway, time to move on. Today, I put some new strings on my black Forte - DR MR45s. I normally use D'Addario EXL 165 but I wanted to try something different. Well, I have to say that I like the DR's, like them a lot. They sound and feel great.

Thanks for the video links - I enjoyed those!  Mike's bass does look a lot darker but it is a lot older and has probably seen a great deal of light (and stage lights) and these may have affected the colour to some extent.  I'm not an expert in Spector colours but is yours Ultra Amber of Cherry Burst?  Mine's the former and it too is pretty bright, though maybe not as bright as yours - I've attached a pic here, though colour reproduction is always really problematic on computer monitors.  On the strings issue, I have DR Pure Blues on my NS2 - 40-95 - I'm really impressed with them.

2032FAFA-50E6-4982-BB00-0A9CD94A6B3B.jpeg

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, three said:

Thanks for the video links - I enjoyed those!  Mike's bass does look a lot darker but it is a lot older and has probably seen a great deal of light (and stage lights) and these may have affected the colour to some extent.  I'm not an expert in Spector colours but is yours Ultra Amber of Cherry Burst?  Mine's the former and it too is pretty bright, though maybe not as bright as yours - I've attached a pic here, though colour reproduction is always really problematic on computer monitors.  On the strings issue, I have DR Pure Blues on my NS2 - 40-95 - I'm really impressed with them.

Wow, yours looks great 🤩 I think mine is probably a cherry burst, not really sure as they tried to replicate Mike's bass based on the photo they had. 

Yours reminds me of Spector's signature bass for Raise of Suilen's (RAS) bass player Layer. RAS is a Japanese all girls rock band and her signature Euro LX bass looks killer but it is only available in Japan. Here's a photo:

1139334363_SpectorEuro4RAS.thumb.jpg.cf702ce0900c207b6c01cb2239ba3a83.jpg 

33752664_SpectorEuro4RASInfo.thumb.jpg.0e055ddfa02ce32fc89476c3f6436e5c.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bunion said:

And slightly better looking than AIC too 😄

That reminds me that Ale Villarreal, bassist in The Warning, will also get a Spector signature bass. It is supposed to resemble her custom bass (shown below, it is a 5 string but the signature one will be a 4 string).

Ale.thumb.jpg.5182e06392055b9dd6acb6d8f9759c23.jpg

The first prototype had a gold finish. Thank God they decided to switch to something closer to her custom bass. The gold finish looks more like something EBMM would release 😉 

618624460_SpectorAleSignatureBassGoldenThunder.thumb.jpeg.971ca8577a9465217c04bc59b3da7b95.jpeg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Wow, yours looks great 🤩 I think mine is probably a cherry burst, not really sure as they tried to replicate Mike's bass based on the photo they had. 

Yours reminds me of Spector's signature bass for Raise of Suilen's (RAS) bass player Layer. RAS is a Japanese all girls rock band and her signature Euro LX bass looks killer but it is only available in Japan. Here's a photo:

1139334363_SpectorEuro4RAS.thumb.jpg.cf702ce0900c207b6c01cb2239ba3a83.jpg 

33752664_SpectorEuro4RASInfo.thumb.jpg.0e055ddfa02ce32fc89476c3f6436e5c.jpg

Wow, very similar - almost identical colour - I hadn't seen these previously and a pity they're a Japan only release

Hi All, 

Loving the Spector admiration in this series. I have been collecting Brooklyn and Kramer era Spectors for a number of years. A quick snapshot of my current Kramer era instruments: A red NS-2 (1988) and a cherry sunburst NS-5 (1987). The NS-5s are quite rare with only 74 made, so am fortunate to have in the collection. Both have a story which I plan to share along with additional photos. Until then, enjoy!!

IMG_9624.jpg

IMG_9602.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Tashbass said:

Hi All, 

Loving the Spector admiration in this series. I have been collecting Brooklyn and Kramer era Spectors for a number of years. A quick snapshot of my current Kramer era instruments: A red NS-2 (1988) and a cherry sunburst NS-5 (1987). The NS-5s are quite rare with only 74 made, so am fortunate to have in the collection. Both have a story which I plan to share along with additional photos. Until then, enjoy!!

IMG_9624.jpg

IMG_9602.jpg

Very nice. Welcome to the club 🙂

• Like 1

19 hours ago, three said:

On the strings issue, I have DR Pure Blues on my NS2 - 40-95 - I'm really impressed with them.

Maybe I should try out the Pure Blues too. They look great on your bass, they are pure indeed as they really make the fretboard and the top shine more than any other set of strings could do 😉 

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

So still looking at spectors after my failure to get a dimension at a good price. I am guessing from the prices that the LT is better than the LX. why is that, and is what makes it difference worth it?

There seems to be a shortage of accessible Spector 5s around at the moment anyway!