Why become a member? ×

Pointless or stunning

fleabag

Bwahahahaha!!! 

Silvie and I have met him, and he seemed like a regular guy. 

Bit much to say that he's 'playing' a 15-string guitar. He's playing a 4-string bass that happens to have some unused thinner strings plus about eight entirely unusable bits of fencing wire as a thumbrest.

In fact, the thing I noticed most was the cheap wood varnish that had been slopped all over the fretboard, apparently with an old sponge.

• Haha 2

Erm... ironing board? Aircraft carrier? Office desk? Might be useful for hanging coats on, with a few hangers... and so on and so forth... seriously though, I don't like it. I don't like it one little bit and I wish I hadn't seen it. Now, where's my drug box... aeiough! Fetang! Bonnngggg!!

The bass in question was for sale on eBay for.. well, forever. It certainly received lots of ehem .. 'interest' on BassChat where it's shortcomings were duly noted. An interesting DIY project for a zero budget tinkerer, but I wouldn't trust it for any gig, anywhere.

Pointless or stunning? Dunnow, but some of his videos are probably less serious than others. That bass? It's just a piece of posh firewood if you ask me.

This guy is an excellent musician and probably makes more out of his Youtube channel In a week than the rest of us make out of music in a year.

Good on him.

• Like 2

On 07/08/2018 at 19:40, dood said:

but I wouldn't trust it for any gig, anywhere.

As if any band member in their right mind would allow someone to bring that monstrosity on any stage =D

From what I've seen, his vids are harmless fun, I believe some of them come from random follower suggestions so he'll build or acquire some ridiculous machine for the sake of the vid.  But bare in mind we're in the age of people amassing cult followings and making a living out of filming themselves playing effing Minecraft.  I'd rather watch his impressive nonsense than some inane silly billy like that Pewdiepie et al.

24 minutes ago, Misowaki said:

From what I've seen, his vids are harmless fun, I believe some of them come from random follower suggestions so he'll build or acquire some ridiculous machine for the sake of the vid.  

Oh for sure, don't get me wrong, Davie has some really entertaining videos, I am familiar with them. The bass I had seen errr "peer reviewed" out in the wilds of the internet before Davie got hold of it. So my commentary is based on that rather than this specific video. :) 

6 hours ago, fleabag said:

It gets better

Now this is a more interesting example. I'm not sure if I am repeating anyone else's posts due to my little screen I am typing on. This bass however is owned by Chris Cardonne who owns Kalium Strings (Previously Circle K). This monster was specifically built to show off the incredible range of strings that the company can make. I believe it was a NAMM show piece.

Indeed, I've had a few sets of Kaliums including massive 190 gauge strings for an octave below a standard 4 string E. Kalium actually go much lower and certainly higher than my 7 string range. I forget who made the bass, but hopefully its is blatantly obvious it's not someone in their shed nailing strings to a body!

• Like 1

Just now, Misowaki said:

@dood sorry man, the 2nd half was general, wasn't aimed at you specifically.  I don't know a great deal about him, only really know him because of one of my students 😃 

Aww! No, it's ok, I didn't take it as aimed :) My response was more of a clarification that I didn't want to appear negative towards Davie. The bass in question though.... eeeesh! The poor thing! lol 

We good :) 🍻