Why become a member? ×

What music do you play?

Guest MoJo

1 hour ago, goblin said:

Easy one for me - George Michael / Wham (I tour with a GM tribute theatre show)

That said, that's the main gig, but since I still play with loads of others, "Bit of everything" is the easiest answer! 

Same here - but ELO stuff!

My other outfits are a four piece playing contemporary country rock ( with a few old favourites chucked in )

Acoustic duo - from jazz and swing through to recent chart tunes and pretty much anything in between.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, casapete said:

Same here - but ELO stuff!

My other outfits are a four piece playing contemporary country rock ( with a few old favourites chucked in )

Acoustic duo - from jazz and swing through to recent chart tunes and pretty much anything in between.

I love it to be honest, people ask me if I ever get bored. But it's a stonkingly good show (even though I'm probably a tad biased) - www.facebook.com/faithgmlegacy

But every now and again I play with numerous function bands, I get to play with some other tributes too, festival season is always fun. Then on top of that I've got my studio session work. 

I've done acoustic duo before, can't remember my last duo gig which is a shame because I really enjoy them! Just boils down to time really.

• Like 1

we're a Punk band but we have to quickly qualify it by saying 1977 style otherwise pub landlords start to think of shouty shouty Exploited type of stuff, it is tricky, punk is a very wide genre (as @Lozz196 was explaining) from something like the Buzzcocks through to Crass and anybody that can't really play tend describe themselves as punk, we're definitely at the Buzzcock end of things

• Like 1

Originally started as a classic rock covers band, but recently added some Beatles, Kinks from the 60's and Snow Patrol, Stereophonics from the recent era.

We recently started to do a rocked up version of Rag 'n Bone man's Human which always goes down well.

4 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

we're a Punk band but we have to quickly qualify it by saying 1977 style otherwise pub landlords start to think of shouty shouty Exploited type of stuff, it is tricky, punk is a very wide genre (as @Lozz196 was explaining) from something like the Buzzcocks through to Crass and anybody that can't really play tend describe themselves as punk, we're definitely at the Buzzcock end of things

It is a tricky one, Paul. Most of the 1977/early era punk is just great pop songs, Buzzcocks, Blondie, Undertones to name but a few. Considering the material by The Exploited, GBH, Partisans etc it`s sometimes baffling how it`s all part of the same genre as they`re so different.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

I totally understand having to qualify the genre. We're a Mod/Northern Soul/Ska band, we play a mix of early Mod/Northern Soul and Mod Revival era Mod and Ska and we have a huge skinhead following which worries some places, they are all traditional skins but some folks can't get past the whole National Front bollocks. We have to explain this a lot. 

Plastic Mojo Band - classic blues, from our origin as a "Blues Roots" workshop at Band on the Wall in Mcr with the excellent Mat Walklate and Paulo Fuschi. Now out on our own, with a couple of newer songs, and probably some of my originals in the pipeline, but definitely still "good-time blues".

On 25/06/2018 at 12:38, MoJo said:

This question stumps me, every time I'm asked. I play in a 3-piece pub covers band and we have a repertoire of over 60 songs to choose from. We play a wide variety of material including rock, pop, soul, northern soul, ska, and reggae, so I never know how to answer the question. Anyone else struggle with this?

My main band plays originals, with influences ranging from ska/reggae to funk with a bit of balkanic spices and who knows what else... we now answer saying our style is "skariachi"... 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mcnach said:

My main band plays originals, with influences ranging from ska/reggae to funk with a bit of balkanic spices and who knows what else... we now answer saying our style is "skariachi"... 

Like the idea of that! (and skariachi is great).

Currently not in a band....over the years played 50/60s Rock n Roll, Pop, Rock Bands and the last gigging band was a 5 piece Acoustic Folky/Blues band.....enjoyed them all....had offers over the last couple of years to join your typical Pub Rock bands but they send me the over played usual cover set that every other bands hammered to death and it just doesn't interest me no more.....if I ever got the chance I would love to play in a decent Blues Trio or a good 60s Rhythm n Blues/Soul type band.....maybe its my midlife crisis or just musical snobbery lol.

My busiest band is described as Folk-Punk but in my opinion we don't do any folk or any punk. I really don't get it but we do loads of gigs on the punk scene and go down well. 

I play in a band doing funky dance music with some provocative lyrics, we call that Disco-Punk

Another band I play with is backing up a singer-songwriter doing kate-bush style prog-pop, then I play in what I would describe as a "stoner rock band" but some people have called it "desert rock". I play in another couple of pretty heavy bands I would describe as "prog metal" but they sound very different from each other. It's all original music and quite difficult to pin it down to labels people will understand but I just tell them to listen to some and see if they like it