Why become a member? ×

Aguilar cab prices....say what?!

Musicman20

9 hours ago, Linus27 said:

This is a very good point. For the 50's/60's function band I am in, both our guitarists use Vox amps and they look great. I'm not digging the look of my yellow Markbass speakers next to them. Just ruins the overall look and despite sounding great, I am considering changing them to something more subtle or retro looking.

IMG_2810.jpg

You could just cover the Markbass steel grills with speaker cloth of your choice.  It'd be far cheaper than changing cabs - unless you're looking for an excuse to change? :)

Frank.

• Like 2

On 4/27/2018 at 13:04, ben4343 said:

Literally 2 hours ago, I ordered an S112 direct from Tommy, with the extra feet, a speakon-speakon cable and a padded TKS cover, couriered to my front door, for SIGNIFICANTLY less than half that...

Yup.

I bought my two from Bass Gear but also quite a bit less than half, with a very nice cover, custom vinyl colour etc. Aguilar's pricing in the UK is crazy. 

9 hours ago, Linus27 said:

This is a very good point. For the 50's/60's function band I am in, both our guitarists use Vox amps and they look great. I'm not digging the look of my yellow Markbass speakers next to them. Just ruins the overall look and despite sounding great, I am considering changing them to something more subtle or retro looking.

IMG_2810.jpg

I don't think their Vox amps look 'great'... just conservative and subdued. You look like a 21st century bassist: reasonably sized gear that looks good and sounds better. Don't change it! ;)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, machinehead said:

You could just cover the Markbass steel grills with speaker cloth of your choice.  It'd be far cheaper than changing cabs - unless you're looking for an excuse to change? :)

Frank.

Mmm I like that idea. I already removed the giant Markbass logo from the grills.

Dead right about Aguilar pricing. I bought an AG700 last year and knew when I did so, that it was an expensive way to purchase an IcePower module and a preamp circuit. However, it sounded better than anything else (Genzler, Glock, MB, Mesa, etc) I compared it with in the shop, so I bought it. It suits me and I like it, which eases the pain of the cost. Their cabs, however, are stupidly expensive and you can do better for less, as others point out.

• Like 1

On 28/04/2018 at 09:06, Wolverinebass said:

At the LBGS I looked at their prices and laughed. £1750 for a 4x10?!! Which was 5 times more than the Peavey 4x10 a couple of stalls down. Their pedal prices were beyond stupid as well. It makes Westside Distribution price gouging us on Mesa gear look reasonable.

Pfft. Jog on.

Yep, I tried the SL410 at the LBGS when it had just come out and it sounded lightweight to me as well as being lightweight. Went across to the Ashdown stand and their budget Rootmaster cabs for me blew the Aggie SLs out of the water. Horses for courses I suppose, would be a boring world if we were all the same.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Yep, I tried the SL410 at the LBGS when it had just come out and it sounded lightweight to me as well as being lightweight. Went across to the Ashdown stand and their budget Rootmaster cabs for me blew the Aggie SLs out of the water. Horses for courses I suppose, would be a boring world if we were all the same.

I tried one of the Ashdown Rootmaster combos out and I was blown away with it. Sounded amazing.

Aguilar prices are more likely a direct result of a policy to make all their products in the US instead of doing what most other manufacturers do, shipping production into the 3rd world, where they can make use of non-unionised and underpaid labour costs and a low tax business environment.

Where are Ashdown Rootmaster cabs made again?

2 hours ago, chris_b said:

Aguilar prices are more likely a direct result of a policy to make all their products in the US instead of doing what most other manufacturers do, shipping production into the 3rd world, where they can make use of non-unionised and underpaid labour costs and a low tax business environment.

The same place that they make the Apple iPhone X - a snip at just £1,149. Aguilar's prices, like Apple's, are probably more to do with profit margins than labour costs. As long as they can persuade people to pay those prices, they'll get away with it. That's business.

Edited by stevie
naughty spelling mistake.
  • Like 2

Although the R&D effort involved in specifying an OEM driver is usually miniscule; almost all the work is done by the driver manufacturer anyway. Don't let anyone tell you different. So it wouldn't really cost Aguilar any more to spec an OEM version of whatever they're using. There is such a huge range of loudspeaker chassis available on the market that specifying an OEM version is often more of a commercial decision than a technical one. Markbass, with its yellow cones, is a good example. 

I get the impression that Apple spends more money on tax lawyers than it does on R&D. :|

It's perhaps not fair to single out Aguilar. How can anyone justify the cost of a US Precision Bass? Or over £100 for a "boutique" pickup that costs less than a tenner to make? Two grand for a Rickenbacker? £1500 for a single-pickup Stingray? Come on!

Edited by stevie

11 minutes ago, stevie said:

It's perhaps not fair to single out Aguilar. How can anyone justify the cost of a US Precision Bass? Or over £100 for a "boutique" pickup that costs less than a tenner to make? Two grand for a Rickenbacker? £1500 for a single-pickup Stingray? Come on!

We have those conversations regularly. It's merely Aguilar's turn.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

11 minutes ago, stevie said:

Very good point although single pickup Stingray can be had for a lot less than £1500.

1 hour ago, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

That's not really all that bad. I bought a Jazz Bass new for $300 in 1965. Figuring in the rate of inflation that would be $2300 today.

That's too simplistic a calculation. Manufacturing and distribution efficiency has increased in leaps and bounds since 1965.

9 hours ago, chris_b said:

Fair point, but if you are comparing them with TKS you have to acknowledge that Sweden is hardly a third world, low wage / tax economy... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎28‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 09:49, chris_b said:

You can list as many cheaper cabs as you like. If they don't sound as good then they are equally not a good use of your cash.

The price of anything is not an issue unless you want to buy one. You can either afford one or you can't. I don't see  the problem.

It's not about 'affording' it,  and plently of products sound just as good for less money.

I personally love Aguilar's products, but the prices here jumped dramtically once they involved a middleman dealer.

Mesa is in a similar boat...unfortunately. Great gear, overpriced in the UK.