Why become a member? ×

So many basses...no time

AndyTravis

I don't like having gear I don't use, either, and I'm gigging with three bands. I've already cut down a fair bit in the last few months, but still want to shed 4 basses, leaving me with 2 Jazz & 2 Precision basses. It's not about feeling guilty, for me it's a general dislike of clutter; keeping basses or amps that I don't use means keeping stuff that clutters up the house and clutters up my head. 

(BTW, clutter is a really odd word when you type it out three times in one sentence!)

9 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

It just happens that I have a shed with sufficient room for four basses...

Simply a matter of paying and collecting them then! :)

I drove up (and back down) the M1 on Sunday for a gig and saw signs for a place called 'Spondon', in Derbyshire, I think, anything to do with you?

I've also been thinking of shedding some of my collection. I've sold quite a few instruments in the past, some I regret getting shot of while  viz others I feel no loss for. I'm 48 now and most band ads I see don't won't 'old' geezers while none of my friends, work colleagues or acquaintances play anything (anymore). Once the lure of competitive tulip breeding and Crown bowls take a hold my instruments will probably become redundant anyway :biggrin:. Mind you, as they're mid price products they'won't sell for much so I'm not sure what to do.  It's a quandary.

10 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

Simply a matter of paying and collecting them then! :)

I drove up (and back down) the M1 on Sunday for a gig and saw signs for a place called 'Spondon', in Derbyshire, I think, anything to do with you?

Curses!

Heeheehee

Yes.  Spondon is where I live.  I am the only bassist in the village.

Edited by SpondonBassed
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2 Apr 2018 at 03:02, AndyTravis said:

While my playing hasn’t slipped, I’m not finding much time. Even less as of Wednesday when child number 4 arrives.

Blimey! Maybe you should cut down on having kids instead! Alternatively, just wait for 16 - 17 odd years or so and then you will have plenty of free time and all your basses will be 'vintage' by that point... :)

3 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

I've also been thinking of shedding some of my collection. I've sold quite a few instruments in the past, some I regret getting shot of while  viz others I feel no loss for. I'm 48 now and most band ads I see don't won't 'old' geezers while none of my friends, work colleagues or acquaintances play anything (anymore). Once the lure of competitive tulip breeding and Crown bowls take a hold my instruments will probably become redundant anyway :biggrin:. Mind you, as they're mid price products they'won't sell for much so I'm not sure what to do.  It's a quandary.

I've got a dozen years on you and am out gigging with one or more of the three bands I'm in most weekends. One I've been with for five years now, another I was asked to join in December and the other in January. I played a long gig last Sunday with a 420 mile round trip thrown in for good measure. Age is just a number, ignore it!

• Like 1

On 2 April 2018 at 02:02, AndyTravis said:

Just bought an amazing Status bass, my main bass is a custom shop jazz, I have two basses I had made for me and a bass I’m half heartedly selling which I made from bits myself.

I have some posh meters ov-1 headphones and a sonic port to practice/record ideas with.

I don’t have an amp as I had a 600w Ashdown rig and then quit my band due to family commitments. I had planned to get a little combo for home...but haven’t bothered.

While my playing hasn’t slipped, I’m not finding much time. Even less as of Wednesday when child number 4 arrives.

I love having the gear, but I’m starting to feel weird guilty pangs having about £6000 worth of basses and playing a couple of hours a week in no particular meaningful fashion.

I think it’s more the idea of having stuff I don’t need. 

I think I’ve posted this to ask if anyone has been in the same boat? I’m not going to be gigging any time soon, and in all honesty the idea of jam night busking and meeting for band practices without gigs makes me roll my eyes around in my head.

I’ll come back to this in the morning and probably wonder what I was going on about - I’m not sleeping much 😂

I did the same last night but about iPhones and how the smart phone is ruining the world...while simultaneously typing on a smartphone 🙄

Getting the feeling I might be knocking it on the head soon, just haven’t got the time to invest enough to enjoy it. a bit sad that really.

So - have you got gear sitting gathering dust, what are you thinking about doing with it?

I sympathise entirely Andy,

I've got two young kids at the moment, which means I've scaled right back on my gigging as I simply don't have the time or energy to do as much.

I've sold off various bits of gear i don't need as a result,  and the rest of my kit is squirrelled away in cases and gig bags to keep the kids from messing about with it (the youngest is at the age where he's discovering the world thru grabbing and fiddling with absolutely everything).

I'm keeping the stuff that I still use, or that is difficult/uneconomical to replace - but like you, I'm in the position where having a few grand in hand is better than having it tied up in a bass stashed indefinitely under a bed. I hate having stuff I don't use - it makes me anxious, and in practical terms I just don't have room to spare among all the baby stuff.

The way I see it, as long as you've got a basic amount of gear to gig should you need to, you can always buy more if you need to restart regular gigging once the money starts to come in.

Good luck with child number 4 as well!

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

I've got a dozen years on you and am out gigging with one or more of the three bands I'm in most weekends. One I've been with for five years now, another I was asked to join in December and the other in January. I played a long gig last Sunday with a 420 mile round trip thrown in for good measure. Age is just a number, ignore it!

I think there might be quite a regional variation . I'm in Gloucestershire and a quick shufty at ads placed this year in JoinMy Band shows that nearly all are placed by people under 25. And they're all vying to gig at the dwindling number of venues around the county. In London and other big cities, older chaps and chappettes  are probably in a much better position.

6 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

I think there might be quite a regional variation . I'm in Gloucestershire and a quick shufty at ads placed this year in JoinMy Band shows that nearly all are placed by people under 25. And they're all vying to gig at the dwindling number of venues around the county. In London and other big cities, older chaps and chappettes  are probably in a much better position.

I'm in neighbouring West Oxfordshire, similar situation, though I suppose we are a little closer to London, not that I go there! Friend of mine has just bought a music shop in Gloucester and knowing him, he will liven things up no end. He's local to there, and a pro drummer.

I reckon that getting stuck in at jams and open mics is the best way to find people on the same wavelength, though the best band I play with just got in touch out of the blue and asked me to audition. Played my first gig with them a couple of days ago.

25 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

Generally I find there are two 'ages'. People play music until they are late 20s, early 30s, have kids and stop gigging / playing. Then at mid 40s onwards the kids have moved out and they realise that they miss it and start again. So you get young groups and old groups. I am in a mix, being early 50s in a group of late 20s / early 30s, and we are cutting right back on gigging as the singer needs to spend more time with his kids.

However, looking for other groups to fill the space at the moment in somerset seems like there is a vaccum that I hadn't really seen before.

Our band ranges from 46 to 30 yrs old, our kids range from not born yet to 11, we still find time to practice and gig but it does help working at the same place. As for kit, I have 6 basses at the moment and am building another. They all serve a purpose but I have decided that it’s one in one out at the moment but mostly because of space as having a massive clearout due to impending extension where some of the house will be unusable for a while.

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

Generally I find there are two 'ages'. People play music until they are late 20s, early 30s, have kids and stop gigging / playing. Then at mid 40s onwards the kids have moved out and they realise that they miss it and start again. So you get young groups and old groups. I am in a mix, being early 50s in a group of late 20s / early 30s, and we are cutting right back on gigging as the singer needs to spend more time with his kids.

However, looking for other groups to fill the space at the moment in somerset seems like there is a vaccum that I hadn't really seen before.

It's the same with motorcycling.

I might be a born-again bassist but I wont ever be a born-again 'biker.

3 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

I didn't get back into bands until i was 50 and now at 58 i'm currently in a rock / metal band and also a Glam Rock covers band. I've never been out of a band for any more than 2-3mths over the past 8 yrs. I've played in everything from Classic rock, Glam rock, 70's covers, Prog originals, Blues / funk rock covers in that period. I've seriously never been so busy. I'm retired 2 yrs so its much easier to learn sets now hence reason for taking on 2 bands. My last band the blues / funk covers from last year have recently been hinting again as they have reformed again but having committed to 2 other bands i think 3 is far too much for what i need.

My point is that age is not a limit when it comes to playing bass so do not give up and just get out there looking. Much of it is thru people you might know or even get to know but Bandmix, Join My Band and even Gumtree are all places i have used over the years.

All the best and hopefully something will come along.

Dave 

Currently I've fallen into doing just solo gigs on acoustic guitar and singing - it doesn't involve the time commitment of being in a band, finding suitable personnel, rehearsing etc, but still gives me a couple of gigs a month at most and a bit of pocket money as a result, which I'd miss by not gigging at all.

I've done one bass gig this year I think - as part of a trio at a local David Bowie tribute night back in January.

I've got plans for more, but all three members in that band are all in the same boat with young kids etc, so we're doing it for enjoyment rather than putting ourselves under press to meet any unrealistic demands.

Ironically when we do get out there it sounds brilliant - lord only knows how decent it would sound if we actually had a bit more time to polish it!

EDIT - we're all early/mid 40s now....

Edited by bassbiscuits

9 minutes ago, Grangur said:

Sorry if I missed something. What's the OP for?  She's a good weight. So there's hope that she's strong.

She was diagnosed at 20 weeks with Spina Biffida, hydrocephalus, Cairi Malformation, kyphoscholiosis...and other associated conditions.

For reasons unknown, during early gestation her spine did not form correctly and it’s potentially going to cause her problems.

Anyhow, we were told it’d be unlikely she’d have use of her legs. She’s kicking and twiddling her toes.

Tomorrow they are closing the open lesion on her spine. And potentially fitting a shunt to remove fluid from around the brain into her abdomen which she will excrete naturally instead of building up on her brain.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Grangur said:

Sorry to hear that, Andy.

As I've said in another post. She looks strong, so with any luck she'll be fine. We'll be thinking of you all.

Let us know how it goes.  Have a good night.

I was at first - my brother had scoliosis as a child leading to a big op when he was 12/13.

Then I realised that the bumps in the road have led him to be a successful and happily married man.

challenges build character - so Iris will have lots of it 😏

thanks for the kind words, she’s a clever little thing and I hope she continues to surprise us.

• Like 7

On 02/04/2018 at 02:02, AndyTravis said:

Just bought an amazing Status bass, my main bass is a custom shop jazz, I have two basses I had made for me and a bass I’m half heartedly selling which I made from bits myself.

I have some posh meters ov-1 headphones and a sonic port to practice/record ideas with.

I don’t have an amp as I had a 600w Ashdown rig and then quit my band due to family commitments. I had planned to get a little combo for home...but haven’t bothered.

I love having the gear, but I’m starting to feel weird guilty pangs having about £6000 worth of basses and playing a couple of hours a week in no particular meaningful fashion.

I think it’s more the idea of having stuff I don’t need. 

I think I’ve posted this to ask if anyone has been in the same boat? I’m not going to be gigging any time soon, and in all honesty the idea of jam night busking and meeting for band practices without gigs makes me roll my eyes around in my head.

I’ll come back to this in the morning and probably wonder what I was going on about - I’m not sleeping much 😂

I did the same last night but about iPhones and how the smart phone is ruining the world...while simultaneously typing on a smartphone 🙄

Getting the feeling I might be knocking it on the head soon, just haven’t got the time to invest enough to enjoy it. a bit sad that really.

So - have you got gear sitting gathering dust, what are you thinking about doing with it?

sell them

just keep one

hope this helps :)

• Thanks 1

On 03/04/2018 at 09:45, SpondonBassed said:

Curses!

Heeheehee

Yes.  Spondon is where I live.  I am the only bassist in the village.

We're doing a gig in Borrowash on 19th May at a thing called Gilesfest. Its at the Borrowash Victoria Football ground. Come along and say hello!

I'm in a Bowie Tribute band  www.facebook.com/missbowieband    

• Like 1