Why become a member? ×

Caring for vintage instruments

uk_lefty

I have a colleague in her mid 40's whose father was a bassist and he passed away when she was young. She inherited his basses, I don't know what they are but they will be good quality mid 70's (at the newest) basses. She wants to display them in her new house on wall hangers. Also I think she wants some advice on how best to look after them. While she is very musically adept herself I don't think she will be playing these, but will never sell them. I'd like to build up a list of things for her to do to keep them in best condition... It seems "leaving them in the case" isn't the first option for her! Would the good folks of basschat like to help?

So far I'm on:

Hercules wall hangers but use longest screws possible;

Record the serial numbers in case they get stolen;

Check the neck for straightness/ no warping;

The obvious one is them being a room with as stable a temperature as possible and never above a radiator (I say obvious, but I have been to the house of a very respected local bass player who had two hanging over a radiator as ‘it was the only space left’ so just goes to show).

it may also be worth backing the string tension off a little.

Dependant upon the make and age of the basses, but, if they are finished in nitrocellulose lacquer, the rubber of the hangers will affect the finish. Not sure if you can get hangers that have a non-rubber coating/padding on the hangers, but maybe wrapping some inert material, like crepe bandages, around the rubber might help keep the finish in good nick.

• Like 1

My vintage Fender lives in its case but gets hauled out regularly to be played.  I genuinely think instruments suffer from lack of use, I know my violins do.

Aside form recordimg the serial numbers I'd also take a comprehensive set pictures of each bass as well.

Get a high-quality studio photo of each bass printed up, full size. Frame and hang those on the walls, optionally with attractive lighting; leave the basses in their cases in a secure, temperate room (not the attic...), to be taken out and checked up on regularly (quarterly..?). That's how museums and art galleries keep their produce intact for so many decades.

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, T-Bay said:

It may also be worth backing the string tension off a little.

Debatable. If you back off the strings shouldn't you also back off the truss rod? 

I say this, because the purpose of the TR is to counter against the tension of the strings. If the strung tension is reduced, then maybe the TR could be pulling in a non-helpful way?

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Grangur said:

Debatable. If you back off the strings shouldn't you also back off the truss rod? 

I say this, because the purpose of the TR is to counter against the tension of the strings. If the strung tension is reduced, then maybe the TR could be pulling in a non-helpful way?

Very good point, I wasnt thinking of making them loose but just a downtune sort or thing. It was just a thought as I was told by a very good luthier that he always backs off the strings a bit when he sends a bass and that a lot come from the manufacturer like that (not had enough new ones to know if that’s true or not). But I am happy to bow to the significant collective knowledge that is Basschat.

3 hours ago, Skybone said:

Dependant upon the make and age of the basses, but, if they are finished in nitrocellulose lacquer, the rubber of the hangers will affect the finish. Not sure if you can get hangers that have a non-rubber coating/padding on the hangers, but maybe wrapping some inert material, like crepe bandages, around the rubber might help keep the finish in good nick.

This - the rubber on most hangers can make a nasty mess of nitro finishes. Wrapping the rubber in silk may be slightly more aesthetically pleasing than crepe bandages though!!

1 hour ago, Dad3353 said:

Get a high-quality studio photo of each bass printed up, full size. Frame and hang those on the walls, optionally with attractive lighting; leave the basses in their cases in a secure, temperate room (not the attic...), to be taken out and checked up on regularly (quarterly..?). That's how museums and art galleries keep their produce intact for so many decades.

+1

I have some fantastic basses but the last thing I'd do would be to hang them on the wall!

Dad's idea is the best and most sensible and most practical.