Bassassin

NGD - vintage Yamaha content

I've wanted one of these for a ridiculously long time. Big fan of Yammy SGs in general but I've always loved this particular model - the unadorned front & visible through-neck make seem it less of a Gibson variation than most of the rest of the SG range.

This is a Yamaha SG1500, dated 1984 according to the pickup codes. What's interesting, unlike any other SG I've seen, is that it has no serial number on the headstock or model number on its truss rod cover - according to the guy I got it from, its previous (first) owner got it direct from Kemble Yamaha when the Kemble piano factory closed, so it presumably sat around for a long time after the model was discontinued. As Kemble was Yamaha's UK distributor I can only assume it was a not-for-sale sample that sales reps would have taken around their dealer network - I've heard of similar not-quite-retail models being used in this way before.

Anyway, it's fairly well-gigged and has a few knocks & bumps, but also has been well looked-after, plays perfectly and is 100% original. Sounds immense, too. :)

And did I get a bargain? Oh yes, I think I did... B|

SG1500F04.jpg

SG1500Full01.jpg

SG1500HeadFront02.jpg

SG1500HeadBack.jpg

SG1500FullBack01.jpg

SG1500Full03.jpg

SG1500F03.jpg

• Like 5

Nice find. The Yammy SG's are excellent guitars, always fancied one, but never owned one, played a few and they were great. These and the Ibanez Artist's were real Les Paul killers (owned a few Artist's over the years, want another).

Doesn't that have the push/pull pots for coil tapping?

Edited by Skybone

6 hours ago, Skybone said:

Doesn't that have the push/pull pots for coil tapping?

It does - in fact they're push/push, just to be flash! Very versatile it is too.

• Like 1

On 05/01/2019 at 00:03, Manwithvan said:

Lovely.

I sold an MSG in the late 1990s. Everyone told me it sounded fantastic.

I hate myself sometimes.

I have two at the moment.  One has a set of Armstrong 57 PAF's in and it's very hard to tell the difference from a LP.  It makes some nice jazz noises on the neck pickup too.

4 hours ago, Kiwi said:

I have two at the moment.  One has a set of Armstrong 57 PAF's in and it's very hard to tell the difference from a LP.  It makes some nice jazz noises on the neck pickup too.

Grrrr!

• Like 1

Just now, Manwithvan said:

Grrrr!

No, go and look again - it’s spelled “guitar” not “grrr”. 3 out of 10

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.