Why become a member? ×

What sort of pro guitarist doesn't have spare strings?

leschirons

Went to see a mate's band last night. Four piece that included two full time musicians.

The guitarist (one of the two) breaks a top E. Finishes the number and announces a 5 min break as it's his only guitar. Second guitarist starts a number that he will sing to keep things going whilst the other searches his case, accessories bag, his jacket, other guitarist's case, bag of bits, his jacket, the bass player's case and bag only to find, there are no spare E strings. Finished the evening on a borrowed guitar. Nothing like being prepared is there??

You have to understand that guitarists are fickle, whimsical narcissists who live in a parallel universe in which nothing ever goes wrong and everyone loves them all the time and can't wait for the next 10-minute guitar solo.

Whereas bass players are realistic, grounded, well-adjusted people who think ahead and make provision for gigs knowing that if something can go awry it probably will and know full well that it's best to be prepared. Some bass players carry two headstock tuners, for Christ's sake! :D

Edited by discreet
  • Like 2

I always put the set of strings I've just taken off in the bag as spares to use in an emergency. In order to cover either bass, I'm currently carrying sets of rounds and flats.

I have never broken a bass string in my life but I still do this. . . . just in case.

28 minutes ago, discreet said:

Some bass players carry two headstock tuners, for Christ's sake!

I could have done with one of those on my first recording session.

The D string tuner broke. The button came off and we had to tune the bass up with a 12 inch long Stilson type pipe wrench the drummer had in the boot of his car!

11 minutes ago, chris_b said:

I always put the set of strings I've just taken off in the bag as spares to use in an emergency.

3 minutes ago, mep said:

I too carry my old set of strings in case of a breakage

Me too, despite never breaking a string in 40 years of gigging. But it might happen one day! ^_^

Edited by discreet

50 minutes ago, Cato said:

What guitar was he playing?

I watched a youtube vid last night where a guy claimed it was virtually impossible to break a string on a Telecaster.

Maybe your guy saw the same vid and actually believed that nonsense.

A Strat. 83 USA.

I did my good deed for the decade a few years ago when I was play a venue with a couple of other bands.  The headline act were on and the bass player broke an E string.  Realising he hadn't a spare I lent him my bass and used one of my spares to re-string his so no real gap in procedings.  He was most grateful and a top bloke as it turned out.

3 hours ago, Cato said:

What guitar was he playing?

I watched a youtube vid last night where a guy claimed it was virtually impossible to break a string on a Telecaster.

Maybe your guy saw the same vid and actually believed that nonsense.

Holy snit, he should come to one of our gigs, usually one, sometimes two broken strings on my guitarists telecaster. He doesn't even play lead, no massive bends or anything, he's just a heavy handed rhythm player!

I bought Graphtech saddles for him years ago, made not a jot of difference.

• Haha 1

It's rare for me to do a guitar gig without a spare guitar, even though I have never broken an electric guitar string on a gig in nearly 40 years of playing. I also carry spare strings, so if one does ever go, I can swap guitars and then replace the broken string in the next break. Simples (meep).

In answer to the question, I'd say an unprofessional one. I always carry spare double bass strings for my acoustic upright plus an electric bass as emergency backup. Strings do break, and you look a right prat if you don't have a spare. I've seen a bass player with brand new strings on a rickie 4005, and a string broke second song into the set. 5 mins later the spare was on & they continued the set. Bonza!

You'd expect him to have been prepared, but in about 14 years or so of playing guitar I can only recall breaking maybe two or three strings in that time at a maximum. As long as your saddles are decent quality and free of burrs and the nut is cut correctly, how do you break a string? Bending too sharp on strings that are way, way past their best?

6 minutes ago, Mastodon2 said:

...how do you break a string? Bending too sharp on strings that are way, way past their best?

Well yes, but it's not beyond the bounds of possibility to just be unlucky and have a duff string. Or two. :)

Edited by discreet