Why become a member? ×

Cheat sheets

Combed20

Pretty much what's been said already.
Basic chord structures and play as often as possible. Play in car while driving and gets you used to the songs if you are commuting to work every day.

Have the notes lying somewhere you can see but not obvious to the audience if possible.

Dave

Some great tips, thanks. I know I'll be fine to learn how to play the songs - it's being able to memorize them that worries me. Once I have the first 5 or 6 down, I'll be confident. I've already made a play list moisten to at work. Being familiar with the songs is half the battle.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1509211991' post='3397370']
I just write the key and the chord sequence if not blindingly obvious on the set list and take it from there. I usually just glance at that between songs, I'd feel very unprepared if I needed to read the chords as I played them.
[/quote]

I do this too! Got so many songs we could choose from I can't remember it all sadly. A glance at a sheet where there's a tricky bridge part or whatever does Jo harm and nobody notices.

If I dep or have a last minute song thrown at me I sometimes write a few chords or prompts on a blank postcard and stick it by the set list. I must confess the writing has gotten bigger in recent years but it tends to be things like middle eights or where the key change comes in as opposed to writing each note out.

[quote name='Combed20' timestamp='1509211779' post='3397366']
Hi all.

I have been offered a paying dep gig for early Dec and there is a lot to learn. Wondering what kind of cheat sheets people use -if any at all. Music stand with printed tabs or can anyone recommend an app for a table? Thanks in adv.
[/quote]

With singing I always had my first line written under the title on my set list.

I don't really need much prompting with basslines right now but if I was struggling with a new set I'd probably write the first four bars in TAB by the title. I must buy a music-stand that can handle TAB without being snooty about it. Touch screens are a bit unsympathetic too. They don't like my calloused fingers so I'd check that you don't have the same problem IIWY.

PS; Good luck with the dep.

Edited by SpondonBassed

I think it's important to identify how you yourself learn. I know that I'm a visual learner and that I remember what I've seen and how things look. If I need to remember a song or a structure or whatever, I find it very helpful to print it out using different fonts, text sizes, colours etc, as opposed to just information on a page.

[quote name='Japhet' timestamp='1509292166' post='3397846']...different fonts, text sizes, [b]colours [/b]etc...
[/quote]

I can see that working well when the stage lights change from red to blue to green, and the charts change with them..! :lol:

Edited by Dad3353