Why become a member? ×

Making sure all voices are heard in an internal chat group

Stylon Pilson

I've recently joined a band and, at one of the other members' request, we're using a private chat group to coordinate various matters. I expressed a slight reservation at the time, saying that it shouldn't be used for important messages or questions, because the "unthreadedness" of it means that it's all too easy for something to scroll off the top of the screen and be forgotten about.

The chat is certainly turning out to be lively, but only a small subset of the band are active on it. There could be a few reasons for this. Maybe some members find it overwhelming and so are ignoring it. Maybe they are only able to check it infrequently, so by the time they look, they discover conversations have started and ended and moved on to something else, so it's too late to contribute. Or maybe they're happy just to see what other people are writing but don't feel that they have anything to add.

Ironically, one of the members who is very inactive is the one who proposed it in the first place!

I think it makes sense for me to explicitly ask people if they're happy with the use of the group chat and if they have any suggestions for how we can improve our communication, but I want to put the question out to you - what do you use for communication? Do you feel that some band members get more influence than others, and if so, is that a cause for concern?

S.P.

Edited by Stylon Pilson

We use Wattsapp.
Just because its easy to use, and there's a search function on it that enables us to go back and check anything quite easily.
In a band of 5, 3 of us are definitely more active on it compared to the others, but that's just the nature of their jobs, or of who they are? Like you say, maybe they are just happy with what is being said and don't feel the need to add anything? They have always made their feelings known if they were against something. So for me, it's not a concern.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1506507543' post='3379183']
What we do is create a group chat for each gig.
[/quote]

That's a good idea. What I did in a previous band was have two separate chats - one for urgent, one for bollocks. The problem is that the line between them gets blurred. Your approach is much more rigorous, which helps to define that line. Nice one.

S.P.

We use a private group on Facebook which is only visible to the four of us. However, one member rarely looks at it, nor does he read SMS on his phone, so the only way os to phone and talk to him....if he answers! Sounds tricky but we manage to get along fine and work around any difficulties we may have.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1506508036' post='3379187']
We use a private group on Facebook which is only visible to the four of us. However, one member rarely looks at it, nor does he read SMS on his phone, so the only way os to phone and talk to him....if he answers! Sounds tricky but we manage to get along fine and work around any difficulties we may have.
[/quote]

You've more patience than me Dave,

Edited by Les

[quote name='Les' timestamp='1506511168' post='3379218']
Not sure what the OP means by some people getting more influence on it than others to be honest,
[/quote]

For example, if we're having a discussion about new songs for the set list, the people who are most active will end up getting the most say. People who are inactive, but not through choice, may feel like these decisions are being made without them.

S.P.

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' timestamp='1506511428' post='3379221']
For example, if we're having a discussion about new songs for the set list, the people who are most active will end up getting the most say. People who are inactive, but not through choice, may feel like these decisions are being made without them.

S.P.
[/quote]

ah right, gotcha.

Does happen with us sometimes. It's up to the individual to catch up at some stage of the game. It's not really hard in this day and age to stay in touch even if you can only leap in once a day after all your other tasks are completed.

For 3 members to have a discussion about a new song in the morning and it be put to bed by noon without waiting for the 4th member to chip in maybe later that evening is unnecessarily quick in my opinion. If it;s taking a week for someone to log on and join in well that's going to be a problem.

I suppose it's like any meeting, you do have to attend if you want your voice heard.

Les

With all of these though you run the risk of tone of voice not coming through. I have had a band member seriously throw his toys out of the pram over something, and we all thought he was joking so we piled in, turned out he really was upset over something everyone else thought wasnt an issue and we made it worse thinking it was a joke. Hard one to judge.

There is no right answer. You have to pick a system which everyone in the band likes and go with that, and be prepared to change if the band members change.

Everyone is different as to what they like to use. It's no good using a Facebook system (either messenger or a private page) if not all of the band are on Facebook and IMO it is unreasonable to expect them to join Facebook just for them to be able to take part in band conversations. If Facebook really is the only choice then a member who doesn't want to be on it is probably the wrong person for your band.

IME all the serious stuff is done face-to-face in the 15 minutes at the beginning and end of rehearsals while we are setting up or breaking down the gear and everything else can be done by email and or phone calls depending on how time-sensitive it is.

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' timestamp='1506505858' post='3379167']
The chat is certainly turning out to be lively, but only a small subset of the band are active on it.
[/quote]

Kinell mate, is this a band or an orchestra?

In my main band, a 4-piece, the chat group is the Black Horse in Greenford after rehearsal on a Tuesday.

Works well.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1506519328' post='3379303']
In my main band, a 4-piece, the chat group is the Black Horse in Greenford after rehearsal on a Tuesday.
[/quote]

+1

If you can't talk on a gig or at a rehearsal, what about the phone or email?

just posted this on another thread.
we use a band google calendar everybody puts down when they're unavailable and forthcoming gigs are on there, I link it to my own google calendar, occasional cock ups occur but on the whole it works really well, but we still double confirm with everybody (email usually) before we commit to a gig

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1506518480' post='3379296']...
IME all the serious stuff is done face-to-face in the 15 minutes [b]or less [/b]at the beginning and end of rehearsals while we are setting up or breaking down the gear and everything else can be done by email and or phone calls depending on how time-sensitive it is.
[/quote]

This ^^, every time

[quote name='bazztard' timestamp='1506523811' post='3379336']...everyone checks their phone at least 4 times a day
[/quote]

Quite the opposite; email is by far the best way to contact me. My 'phone..? I hardly know where it is, most weeks. Sometimes I charge it up, if I remember. :mellow:

We have a Band HQ chat and a Band + (singer on this gig). We have 2 regular singers, preferred dep singers and backup fog horn singers.

Band HQ does everything from any old bollocks to band related issues but is confined to just us core members and the others will be more gig related as they will concern next gig, set list and keys for that singer.

Some "any old bollocks" will find its way into the more serious gig chats but it tends to be limited. If it gets out of hand one of us will say on the HQ chat that we need to take it over there. We have different colours for different singers too so we dont slip up when complaining about lack of microphones, PA equipment ect that a singer doesn't have.

We've been using this system for so long now that we have come to accept that there will always be an amount of annoying scrolling here and there but overall it seems to work for the important stuff, ie: gigs and rehearsals: where and when, set lists, keys, amount being paid each.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1506526926' post='3379366']
This ^^, every time

Quite the opposite; email is by far the best way to contact me. My 'phone..? I hardly know where it is, most weeks. Sometimes I charge it up, if I remember. :mellow:
[/quote]
[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1506527993' post='3379379']
+1

Most people I know call the house phone. At least that'll get picked up by someone!
[/quote]sound like you two are related to our guitarist

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1506507543' post='3379183']
Firstly, we use Messenger. I've nothing against What's App other than it's not iPad friendly.
[/quote]

Btw, you can get WhatsApp working on the iPad by going to https://web.whatsapp.com and choosing ‘Request Desktop Site’ from Safari’s options. Still not friendly, but a workaround nonetheless!

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1506526926' post='3379366']
My 'phone..? I hardly know where it is, most weeks. Sometimes I charge it up, if I remember. :mellow:
[/quote]

This, but in reference to my house phone rather than my mobile. I think BT and cold callers are the only ones who know what the house phone number is, I’ve no idea!

The whole point of a messaging system is that it has to be sufficiently user friendly for all the band members to actually want to use it.

Facebook Messenger on a computer is such as nasty thing that I can't imagine anyone wanting to use it for anything complicated. I certainly couldn't keep track of anything more complex than a short conversation made up of 5 words or less sentences.