Why become a member? ×

New Ashdown valve head

Merton

Can't believe I didn't spot this one coming ! Looks very interesting, I did wonder if Ashdown would ever make an all-tube head so there's my answer.

Looks like it's basically an ABM with a valve power stage, I bet it sounds fantastic.

Won't be cheap for sure...

[quote name='Muppet' post='323801' date='Nov 6 2008, 10:35 PM']The back panel schematic says "manufactured in PRC for Ashdown Engineering"

Peoples Republic of Colorado??[/quote]
It also says 500W RMS, but it's 400W according tot he blurb. Methinks they've done the usual trick of not quite getting all the information right online...

Yeah they are definitely shabby with online specs, they seem to change quite frequently ! My MAG210T was showing as 200w for a long time online, looks like they've updated it recently to 250w, despite me having the cab over a year and it saying 250w on the back !

the spec is from the 500w evo111,so they have not got that right,bet it sounds good though and yes it will be expensive if its made in usa.wonder why they cant make it over here like the klystron range?bit dissapointed with the look of it,just black with a little white piping,what happened to the ashdown blue?cabs from the usa as well.

Edited by bassmansky

i think that looks pretty good too, i've kinda been hoping Ashdown would do something like that. My guess is that it will be "available" to buy in the next 6 months or so, but won't be actually in stock anywhere till about 2011 :huh:

still, would love to try it when they do come out, it's exactly the sort of thing i go for... :)

[quote]circuit design that will even survive running with no speakers connected[/quote]

Grabs my attention as a very good safety feature.

And like mentioned, the diagrams cannot be right, valve amps pretty much always have an impedance selector yeah? (I don't own a valve amp).

Edited by Buzz

To me it seems this will please some yanks but I can't see it selling too much elsewhere. It's the total opposite of what the majority of bassists seem to want right now. The trend, as I see it, is towards smaller and lighter!

Personally, and IMHO, I don't think Ashdown have released ANYTHING of interest since the original ABM series, and have made what I would consider to be some totally daft design choices in the past (who wants a 1000 watt amp that isn't really a 1000 watt amp? That one is still runnning!).

They've given the ABM a facelift 4 times now, if you include the Klynstron series (what a rip off!). Some say there was an entire redesign along the way, but to me it sounds similar enough to be no different!

The superfly series was a total disaster by all accounts and the seemingly mythical 'giant' series so far would seem like it's going the same way.

Having said that they did get it pretty spot on with the ABM. Best amp I've ever played through for my requirements - I've flipped on an Aguilar AG500 and a Thunderfunk and kept my original ABM combo.

*rant mode off*

Funny I've never had any trouble with the rotary + slider eq... but then I normally leave the eq off and just use the shape, drive and occasionally octave. Never heard an amp that sounds as good for me.

Really they could strip the ABM down to an input jack, gain, drive and volume and sell that in the 'giant' series shell and make a killing! There's loads of people who just want an amp with a 'louder' knob and noone, as yet, has given it to them!

Edited by Bigwan