Why become a member? ×

New Ashdown valve head

Merton

[quote name='Protium' post='334626' date='Nov 22 2008, 09:58 PM']My ABM has a fan. My MAG had a fan. Do you know what a fan looks like?

What do they put in the water in Jersey?

[/quote]

ashdown five fifteen combo's dont have fans and thats the ashdown listed in jerseytrev's gear list in his sig.

also to amend your earlier post. ABM is no the preamp name it's the line of amps name. EVO is the preamp name hence EVO I/II/III. from what i remember EVO II's are now used in the MAG series.

[quote name='nash' post='334662' date='Nov 22 2008, 11:48 PM']ashdown five fifteen combo's dont have fans and thats the ashdown listed in jerseytrev's gear list in his sig.

also to amend your earlier post. ABM is no the preamp name it's the line of amps name. EVO is the preamp name hence EVO I/II/III. from what i remember EVO II's are now used in the MAG series.[/quote]

And because a £120 practice amp went boom, that's reason to say a £1k+ amp will too?

Fair enough but the ABM EVO II is a valve preamp, and the MAG EVO II is a solid state preamp.

[quote name='Protium' post='334673' date='Nov 23 2008, 12:06 AM']And because a £120 practice amp went boom, that's reason to say a £1k+ amp will too?

Fair enough but the [b]ABM EVO II is a valve preamp[/b], and the MAG EVO II is a solid state preamp.[/quote]

Come again? It is a solid state preamp which has a separate switchable valve drive section which just dumps the signal through a valve or two to give a bit of grit to the sound. This does not make it a valve preamp, as you say.

And before you get defensive, I'd like to point out that I'm also an ashdown owner, I have one of their [i]all valve[/i] guitar amps in fact.

[quote name='Protium' post='334673' date='Nov 23 2008, 12:06 AM']And because a £120 practice amp went boom, that's reason to say a £1k+ amp will too?[/quote]

ashdown have a history of blowing up. everytime i see ashdown endorsees they have at least 2 heads. 1 spare. thats becasue they are cheaply put together. i know one endorsee personally and he told me the abm evo3 500 is about £150 and the 8x10 is around the same price. cheap components go boom.

i have also owned an ashdown in the past. i liked it.

[quote name='nash' post='334758' date='Nov 23 2008, 10:52 AM']ashdown have a history of blowing up. everytime i see ashdown endorsees they have at least 2 heads. 1 spare. thats becasue they are cheaply put together. i know one endorsee personally and he told me the abm evo3 500 is about £150 and the 8x10 is around the same price. cheap components go boom.

i have also owned an ashdown in the past. i liked it.[/quote]

I had two different five fifteen combos blow thier fuses in two different shops in the same day. Make of that what you will.

This is all besides the point really, for me the trouble with this new amp is that they're wanting £1600-1700 for a valve hybrid, which is a bit of a joke.

[quote name='nash' post='334758' date='Nov 23 2008, 10:52 AM']ashdown have a history of blowing up. everytime i see ashdown endorsees they have at least 2 heads. 1 spare. thats becasue they are cheaply put together. i know one endorsee personally and he told me the abm evo3 500 is about £150 and the 8x10 is around the same price. cheap components go boom.

i have also owned an ashdown in the past. i liked it.[/quote]
CHEAPLY put together in the prc like most amps these days.thats why the new heads are exspensive being made in usa!as for ashdown endorsees having two heads think you'll find most endorsees gig with spare amps.we all now whatever make, prc made gear will never be as good or last as long as uk or us made gear.

[quote name='bassmansky' post='334773' date='Nov 23 2008, 11:29 AM']we all now whatever make, prc made gear will never be as good or last as long as uk or us made gear.[/quote]
With all due respect, bullsh!t. Eden Nemesis gear is made in China and is probably better built than the majority of UK and US amps.

[quote name='Waldo' post='334699' date='Nov 23 2008, 02:17 AM']Come again? It is a solid state preamp which has a separate switchable valve drive section which just dumps the signal through a valve or two to give a bit of grit to the sound. This does not make it a valve preamp, as you say.

And before you get defensive, I'd like to point out that I'm also an ashdown owner, I have one of their [i]all valve[/i] guitar amps in fact.[/quote]

My point was that the ABM EVO II preamp is not the same as the MAG EVO II preamp or the EB EVO II preamp.

Anyway I've had enough, may as well face it Ashdown are a joke company and my amp is gona explode 3 years ago.

FWIW, I really don't want to be an Ashdown basher, but... Superfly? Dual compressor?

They need to come out with something sh*t hot if they're going to be spoken of in the same terms as Genz, Epifani, Aguilar, Mesa and the rest.

IMO That 'something' needs to be a complete reinvention of Ashdown brand from the ground up. This ain't it.

[quote name='Protium' post='334626' date='Nov 22 2008, 09:58 PM']My ABM has a fan. My MAG had a fan. Do you know what a fan looks like?

What do they put in the water in Jersey?

[/quote]
mag 200 no fan :) hartke 3500 has a fan , yes i do know what a fan is what is your problem , being a mechanical tech for jersey water i need to :huh:

Edited by jerseytrev

[quote name='Protium' post='334673' date='Nov 23 2008, 12:06 AM']And because a £120 practice amp went boom, that's reason to say a £1k+ amp will too?

Fair enough but the ABM EVO II is a valve preamp, and the MAG EVO II is a solid state preamp.[/quote]
mag 200 went bang no fan :)
five fifteen went bang but was fixed by bass centre after 6months ,with both those going has made me cautious about the brand . spoke to others that had similar problems .if the mag could have been fixed i would have fitted a fan myself .

Edited by jerseytrev

[quote name='Merton' post='334792' date='Nov 23 2008, 11:50 AM']With all due respect, bullsh!t. Eden Nemesis gear is made in China and is probably better built than the majority of UK and US amps.[/quote]

Agreed with you there, the Nemesis stuff is great.

It really does amaze me how defensive people get over the brand they support. Don't understand it really.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='334846' date='Nov 23 2008, 01:08 PM']They need to come out with something sh*t hot if they're going to be spoken of in the same terms as Genz, Epifani, Aguilar, Mesa and the rest.

IMO That 'something' needs to be a complete reinvention of Ashdown brand from the ground up. This ain't it.[/quote]

Yes. I love my ABM500. It's the best sounding amp I've ever owned but there's nothing they make now that I want, certainly not a £1600 valve head or a Chinese made ABM or a twin channel mini amp that isn't bridgeable.

Ashdown have lost the plot IMO. They need to look at what other companies are producing and what people want.

[quote name='Sean' post='334902' date='Nov 23 2008, 02:16 PM']You'd need your head fixin' if you bought one of those over a Mesa 400+ :)[/quote]

good shout but also any other all valve head out there.

Fender 300Pro
Ampeg SVT CL (cheaper i think)
Orange
Hiwatt

just to name a few.

[quote name='Waldo' post='334951' date='Nov 23 2008, 03:49 PM']Agreed with you there, the Nemesis stuff is great.

It really does amaze me how defensive people get over the brand they support. Don't understand it really.[/quote]
im only sticking up for ashdown cos i like their gear and get fed up with people slagging them off all the while.if they are a joke they would have gone bust years ago,at least they try something new!cant comment on the nemesis because ive never heard one just take your word on that.ashdown did have a problem when they first shipped to china but i understood they sorted that out,or perhaps ive got that wrong as well!anyway im off to look for a nemesis!

[quote name='bassmansky' post='335053' date='Nov 23 2008, 06:19 PM']im only sticking up for ashdown cos i like their gear and get fed up with people slagging them off all the while.if they are a joke they would have gone bust years ago,at least they try something new!cant comment on the nemesis because ive never heard one just take your word on that.ashdown did have a problem when they first shipped to china but i understood they sorted that out,or perhaps ive got that wrong as well!anyway im off to look for a nemesis![/quote]

I'm also an Ashdown owner, doesn't mean I have to stick up for them though :)

I used to have a Nemesis 2x12 combo, loved it. Doesn't have the bells and whistles of say, the EVO preamp but it's the relative simplicity that I liked about it.

[quote name='Waldo' post='335065' date='Nov 23 2008, 06:35 PM']I'm also an Ashdown owner, doesn't mean I have to stick up for them though :)

I used to have a Nemesis 2x12 combo, loved it. Doesn't have the bells and whistles of say, the EVO preamp but it's the relative simplicity that I liked about it.[/quote]
im also a peavey and fender owner but i wouldnt stick up for either of them!