Why become a member? ×

New Ashdown valve head

Merton

[quote name='bassmansky' post='328612' date='Nov 13 2008, 07:25 PM']wonder if they are gonna stop making the klystron range?hope not as i would buy those instead of the valve head and the usa cabs ![/quote]

TBH I'd rather have the UK-built ABM EVO II than the new Klystron or EVO III heads.

[quote name='bassmansky' post='328633' date='Nov 13 2008, 07:53 PM']i've got a uk built evo11 but theres just something about the look of a klystron amp and the cabs,imo of course![/quote]

The 500 head looks nice, but the 1000 looks too big IMO. And I'm not a big fan on the styling of the new cabs.

The combos do look very very nice though :)

[quote name='Protium' post='328634' date='Nov 13 2008, 08:00 PM']The 500 head looks nice, but the 1000 looks too big IMO. And I'm not a big fan on the styling of the new cabs.

The combos do look very very nice though :)[/quote]
nearly bought a 2x10 klystron combo but could'nt quite raise enough dosh at the time,they do look v good and sound superb just a tad exspensive.

[quote name='jonsmith' post='328724' date='Nov 13 2008, 10:36 PM']These Klystron or Classic cabs have neo speakers and seem to me to be considerably lighter. I've already got a 1x15 and it sounds great. As soon as I've raised the dosh, I'll be swapping my ABM410 cab for a Neo 4x10.[/quote]i was thinking of doing that if i had the cash!do you play through the abm cab with the neo1x15?

[quote name='bassmansky' post='329280' date='Nov 14 2008, 05:27 PM']i was thinking of doing that if i had the cash!do you play through the abm cab with the neo1x15?[/quote]

Yes. I managed to get a hold of a Neo 1x15 at a good price, so it handles low frequency duties while the ABM 4x10 takes care of the rest. The ABM 4x10 is a pretty heavy cab though, as you'll know, so if the Neo 4x10 is as good and I can find it it at a reasonable price I'll be happy.

Edited by jonsmith

[quote name='nash' post='334073' date='Nov 21 2008, 07:43 PM']to me the specs sound like they've put the crap pre of the evo's on to the power section of a
mesa 400+. pretty lame.[/quote]

The [b][i]ABM[/i][/b] preamp is awesome.
And the power section of the Mesa has twelve valves, the Ashdown has eight, but yeah thats obviously the same...

On second thoughts, simply:

[quote name='Protium' post='334080' date='Nov 21 2008, 08:03 PM']The [b][i]ABM[/i][/b] preamp is awesome.
And the power section of the Mesa has twelve valves, the Ashdown has eight, but yeah thats obviously the same...[/quote]

ok so a slight oversight on the power section but the evo3 pre is not designed for a valve power section. its almost like a reverse hybrid. having the one valve in the pre isn't good enough.

[quote name='nash' post='334089' date='Nov 21 2008, 08:32 PM']ok so a slight oversight on the power section but the evo3 pre is not designed for a valve power section. its almost like a reverse hybrid. having the one valve in the pre isn't good enough.[/quote]

For the money they're asking I'd be expecting valves all round, not a hybrid :)

In short, Ashdown are a joke company.

I hope all of this criticism can be justified when the amp is released. Remember that Mark Gooday had a hand in designing Trace Elliot amps when they were made in the UK, and remember the big 8xKT88 amp that they made?

If it's anything like the V8, Ashdown will have taken a step forward. I know that most of their business comes from the fact that they have a mountain of endorsees in the UK, but my EVOII 2x10 combo does sound brilliant nonetheless despite my non-pro status!

[quote name='acidbass' post='334224' date='Nov 22 2008, 03:11 AM']I hope all of this criticism can be justified when the amp is released. Remember that Mark Gooday had a hand in designing Trace Elliot amps when they were made in the UK, and remember the big 8xKT88 amp that they made?

If it's anything like the V8, Ashdown will have taken a step forward. I know that most of their business comes from the fact that they have a mountain of endorsees in the UK, but my EVOII 2x10 combo does sound brilliant nonetheless despite my non-pro status![/quote]

It would be great it had the specs of the V8, however it doesn't does it? From what I can see it's just an EVO III preamp with a valve power stage. Considering you can buy an EVO III 500w solid state head for £550, is it really worth paying an extra £1000 for a valve power stage? :)

basically if this amp stays as it is, it's a bad miss. if it changes then it's still a bad miss by putting up a nonaccurate prototype. what a joke. either way ashdown have failed. i, like alot of us have been waiting a long time for this and at the present time, what a disapointment.

Edited by nash

[quote name='acidbass' post='334224' date='Nov 22 2008, 03:11 AM']I hope all of this criticism can be justified when the amp is released. Remember that Mark Gooday had a hand in designing Trace Elliot amps when they were made in the UK, and remember the big 8xKT88 amp that they made?

If it's anything like the V8, Ashdown will have taken a step forward. I know that most of their business comes from the fact that they have a mountain of endorsees in the UK, but my EVOII 2x10 combo does sound brilliant nonetheless despite my non-pro status![/quote]

Even if it's a success it'll still get slated by the Anti-Ashdown bandwagon.

[quote name='Machines' post='334588' date='Nov 22 2008, 08:07 PM']Same here, they do me fine. Might upgrade to an ABM cab though.[/quote]

There's an ABM 210 for sale on here for £180: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=28130"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=28130[/url]

[quote name='jerseytrev' post='334610' date='Nov 22 2008, 09:23 PM']well my ashdown amp went phut ,was told because they did not use fans in their build ,£1600 i do not think so rather have my hartke 3500 .[/quote]

My ABM has a fan. My MAG had a fan. Do you know what a fan looks like?

What do they put in the water in Jersey?