Why become a member? ×

Tech21 prototype dUg pre-amp pedal.

Painy

Couldn't be more different to mine! Can't believe you boost the treble, I cut mine quite a bit and my strings are dead and I have no tweeters!

One tip is turn chunk off whilst you set your compressor level so you can better hear what it's doing. Also remember the gain boost hits the compressor harder too.

I find the mid band to have a very wide Q, so much so that if you cut the mids below 9 o'clock, you've got hardly any sound left at all!

It’s a work in progress could well have been ear fatigue after hammering it out loud at home!

i know I should probably cut my lows to boost the high end according to how it works, but I found that combination, with my amp seemed to work, and worked best with my Hohner B2ADB active on with bass boost and everything wide open, as opposed to my passive jazzes, which were more polite and needed way more digging in.

It still needs way more of a journey to get right, but it’s so good with the Hohner I am considering changing its pick ups to EMG HB’s

Interesting to see everyone setting them differently so it’s not just one setting that works. Half the fun of a new pedal is playing it on its own then intergrating into a board/rig

Edited by krispn
  • Like 1

It has landed! After the unfortunate situation where yesterday's postman had to take retirement on medical grounds (mainly due to him not being medically alive for his gross failure of duty), today's replacement postman handed me a package hoping to placate my all consuming thirst for distortion pedals.IMAG0177.thumb.jpg.6d51bfd06e0902ee544e2216b4006f8f.jpg

So, here we are. The smallest pedal I've ever seen with so many controls. Plus my new rizla box. Maybe.

Thanks to Darren for sorting this out. Will be having a play later today after I get my alibi sorted for yesterday with my legal team.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Well the pedal gets a big thumbs up from me! Playing along to my (ex) band’s albums which were pretty light in the bass department, it delivers such a ‘produced’ tone that it just sounds like they’ve been remixed / remastered with better bass! I thought I was getting this effect from my B3K also, but now that tone sounds completely off. It’s funny how our ears adjust - I’ll probably change my mind next week!

It’s made me change my technique for the better too, forcing me to play with a lighter more consistent touch and only dig in when I want to hear distortion. You can get a lot of sound variation just from how you play.

• Like 4

I have enjoyed the process of integrating this into my existing setup; unaffected output from the GED2112 preamp gives me a decent signal into the dUg.

Outputs from both units into an ABY box, then into a stereo poweramp running bridged into one enclosure.  I can switch between the two easily enough now.  Peachy.

• Like 3

Mine arrived on Saturday (sorry I haven't been online since!) just as I was heading out the door to a covers gig. Took it with me and tried the suggested settings in soundcheck (blowing the rest of the band across the bar!!) lol!

Ended up just using it for a tuner/mute but had a bit more of a basic play for 1/2hr yesterday and already it's sounding sweet. Looking forward to giving it more of a work out this week but I'm already finding that less is more as it can give just that 'right' amount of bite/harmonic overtone without losing the low end. Tasty!!

Big thanks to Darren for sorting this for us!

• Like 3

I used mine a lot over the weekend, still into the power section only of my Tecamp and then into a couple of Barefaced One10.

It's very impressive. I started with the recommended Dug settings but then backed off the bass, the compression and the drive, but would up the mids to 12 o'clock.

I;m getting a thick, chewy half clean / half dirty sort of sound that reduces the drive when I play gently and then gets gritty when I did in. Sounds superb - it's a great rock sound.

I doubt I'll be using it for jazz stuff, so I'm next I'm going to try to use it in front of the amp and see if I can make it sound the same when activated but leave me with a more jazz sound when I turn it off completely.

And I ran out of time to see what happens when I stack it with my DG and EBS drives and fuzzes. Soon.....

• Like 3

Been playing it a bit more, it’s getting a there, and trying to balance it across all bases and getting a setting to work clean and dirty and with a 12 string.

Current settings:

77A9E873-2DB1-46FB-BB2C-B8C7C55C2DDE.thumb.jpeg.832da703bb4e98f6e07e60b46a8ed152.jpeg

To be the Dogman........

A3574ED9-7E4F-4948-B07F-C953CB1197C6.thumb.jpeg.569dbc54c752f80d90fe4163e08a20a2.jpeg

my sound engineer 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I did start with dUg and then went to 12 o’clock and re started, but seemed to have ended up similar to dUg.

Trying to see if I can get it to stack with other pedals, doesn’t seem to quite play with the Two Notes, without really backing off the on the tone that I like the Two Notes gives me.

Clean I have not found it to beat the Two Notes yet, the bass whilst present seems a little darker, next is to open the chunk with a low drive to see if it brightens it enough.

Its loads of fun, especially as I am moving between headphones, PJB bass cub and Form Factor Bi1000 and Supertwin to see how it likes it all.

One thing I will say, is I think it needs to breathe and have a bit of volume to really get the most out of it!

@fretmeister king from that album is one of my all time faves, but the whole album is genius.

Dogman holds a special place for me for personal reasons.

But go through the whole catalogue and I love all the albums, the best thing is progression through the years on how the sound changes subtly, even back when they had the god awful name Sneak Preview!

I've only had a chance to try it with my 50s precision so far. Certainly to me, the mid scoop is very evident at almost any dirty setting, but it's only one bass. Might need a bit of pre or post eq to fix. As I say, it's only one bass and I'll know a lot more when I try a few of the others.

Brutal though and absolutely insane to boot.

1 hour ago, fretmeister said:

Funny enough I never rated Dogman.

Out of the Silent Planet is probably my favourite. I still play it loads.

52 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

@fretmeister king from that album is one of my all time faves, but the whole album is genius.

Dogman holds a special place for me for personal reasons.

But go through the whole catalogue and I love all the albums, the best thing is progression through the years on how the sound changes subtly, even back when they had the god awful name Sneak Preview!

Did you both mean dUgman? xD

Edited by Al Krow

Hats off for producing an in-depth review, although I'm not sure if it's the bass, settings or the way it's recorded, but there is a really nasal midrange frequency going on there at 11:32 that makes it unlistenable for me. Yet to see what other settings are explored but the video is pretty epic! Shame he didn't record straight off the XLR.

Edited by dannybuoy

5 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

Clean I have not found it to beat the Two Notes yet, the bass whilst present seems a little darker, next is to open the chunk with a low drive to see if it brightens it enough.

You totally love your clean 2Notes tone, maybe a bit unfair to expect the dUg to be able to match i.e. it's not really going to be able to beat the 'best' (and obviously this will differ for each of us) pre-amps and dirt pedals - particularly when it's up against a combination of other pedals. 

Ha!

Not totally unfair, but I get your point.

Trying to put it in perspective for those without the dUg but may have come across the 2 Notes. Both have an element of mid scoop, both have lots of bass on tap, not found the sweet spot to just release the bass on the dUg so it’s not a little choked, but the distortion is better.

Also trying to de if I can’t stack em, then I will be happy.

On the 12ver, dUg pedal and a touch of Mantic Beef Bag is monster!