Why become a member? ×

Tech21 prototype dUg pre-amp pedal.

Painy

39 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

@Cosmo Valdemar how are you finding the Baby Sumo?

All good so far! It's my first experience with a dedicated power amp, so I don't have anything to compare it to, but I'm happy with the sounds I'm getting so far. 

I've only used it a low volumes, but even then it seems to get warm quickly. No fan, you see. I've read similar comments over on Talkbass but it doesn't seem to have let anyone down through overheating at gig volumes so I'm not too concerned.

• Like 1

On 23/10/2018 at 21:38, Cosmo Valdemar said:

All good so far! It's my first experience with a dedicated power amp, so I don't have anything to compare it to, but I'm happy with the sounds I'm getting so far. 

I've only used it a low volumes, but even then it seems to get warm quickly. No fan, you see. I've read similar comments over on Talkbass but it doesn't seem to have let anyone down through overheating at gig volumes so I'm not too concerned.

I'm going to presume that there isn't any chance it's 1000w and it's really about 400w? Bring the thing round and you can compare it with my 700w Yamaha power amp. I'd certainly be interested in the result.

41 minutes ago, Wolverinebass said:

I'm going to presume that there isn't any chance it's 1000w and it's really about 400w? Bring the thing round and you can compare it with my 700w Yamaha power amp. I'd certainly be interested in the result.

As would  few others around here...

1 hour ago, Wolverinebass said:

Well GSS say it's 600w... I'd love to bring it round and let you have a look.

• 4 weeks later...

Good point, it was alluded to a little and also just how much your time control on your bass can help you out.

to be fair though a 20 min video (not denegrating the review) cannot do it justice. It took me nearly a month of playing every day to get ‘my sound’ and there is still more

48 minutes ago, cetera said:

Great review! But one BIG omission.... the 'Chunk' control! This one little control has such a huge effect on the overall distorted tone by adjusting the dynamics and harmonic overtones in the sound....

Hmmm, I feel sure I covered it, but I wonder if it has been edited out. I'll need to buzz through the video later and check ha ha! It was a while ago and I've covered a load of kit since. 

42 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Good point, it was alluded to a little and also just how much your time control on your bass can help you out.

to be fair though a 20 min video (not denegrating the review) cannot do it justice. It took me nearly a month of playing every day to get ‘my sound’ and there is still more

You do have a good point there. This was a really long review. We try to stay under 15 minutes or there abouts but you know me.. I like the details! I agree, every review is going to be an overview, there are too many variables to cover every angle.

1 hour ago, Cuzzie said:

@Dood great job done on this awesome pedal. Those of us that have it know all about it being CAF

Thank you!!! 

• Like 1

The bass sounds very sexy and looks the beans.

What I really liked about the review was the time taken to achieve getting a good clean tone, which is often overlooked - people just think distortion with this. Spot on as well, small increments on the dial give big changes hence the time needed to spend with this pedal. 

Once you get a sound you like, rolling that tone off on your bass can take you from ‘modern metal’ through to vintage tube like  just turning a dial.

Played this with old and new strings, rounds and flats, fretted and Fretless, Long scale and short scale, normal fundamentals and multistring, amp and direct PA, P, PJ, Jazz, Buckers.

It just plain slays.

@Dood we want the out takes!

1 hour ago, Cuzzie said:

@Dood we want the out takes!

Maybe in the Christmas Special...

maybe not ha ha ha!!!! Some of the out takes are just embarrassing. Like the time it took countless retakes for me to even just introduce a product. It was a fairly wordy title, but maaaaaaaaaaan I just couldn't get my words out!