Why become a member? ×

Tech21 prototype dUg pre-amp pedal.

Painy

Don’t you hate it when sites put and estimated shipping date based on nothing!

So far there is no update from U.K. distributor and I have asked. A lot.

Tech 21 mentioned on instagram they have a consignment for U.K. “next month”

I suspect it will be soon. They always suggested April as a shipping date, they just made that with US release. I’m sure it’s been a busy, tiring and stressful time for all at tech 21 which echoes in their comments here. I’m sure they have been balls out to make the release date and are touchy if people start picking apart a product they are working hard to release. (Not saying we did but just feel they think that from the response) 

anywayyyy, it sounds great and should be here soon. The distributor gets product through customs pretty fast and when they arrive they will get them out quickly as they will want to invoice everyone after all!

We should all see them around the same time. As soon as I receive them, aside from rolling around on the bed with them, I’ll ship them out to you and let you know. 

10th May is, I reckon a guess, but possibly not unrealistic. 

• Like 2

I do wish it had a battery option. As an analogue pedal it won't eat them quickly, and it would be a far easier set up in places where I am lucky if I don't have to argue over a single socket!

I do have one of the Warwick Rockboard rechargeable batter pack things, but that is still another thing to carry.

@Tech21NYC What is the current draw for the pedal please?

55 minutes ago, mr4stringz said:

7:15 in that last vid is f@&!ing sweeeeeeet!

It does sound good BUT he still has his amp affected (not flat) before the dUg pedal hits it.  I'd much rather these sort of reviews be done straight into the effects return or better still into a poweramp. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fretmeister said:

I do wish it had a battery option. As an analogue pedal it won't eat them quickly, and it would be a far easier set up in places where I am lucky if I don't have to argue over a single socket!

I do have one of the Warwick Rockboard rechargeable batter pack things, but that is still another thing to carry.

@Tech21NYC What is the current draw for the pedal please?

About 60mA.

3 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

I wonder if it takes phantom power like the Sansamp?

The circuit itself draws very little. It's the LED's for the tuner and lights for the controls that exceed the maximum current limit for a phantom powered device.

45 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

It does sound good BUT he still has his amp affected (not flat) before the dUg pedal hits it.  I'd much rather these sort of reviews be done straight into the effects return or better still into a poweramp. 

We suspect many people will probably use the pedal inline and in front of their amps in which case you will most likely want to boost the mids and decrease the highs depending upon your amp settings. Going direct with the DI if using the 1/4" out to you amp you can adjust the EQ at the board if desired to tweak the final sound. If using into a powered speaker and want the same tone sent to the mixer you can use the through of your powered speaker and send that to the PA or run the pedal to a DI and split it that way. 

The dUg video with Pete Thorn is all DI. I'm sure there will be other videos in the future showing the pedal through different setups. dUg has used it direct, into an amps efx return as well as into the front of an amp. It works for him either way.

4 minutes ago, Tech21NYC said:

We suspect many people will probably use the pedal inline and in front of their amps in which case you will most likely want to boost the mids and decrease the highs depending upon your amp settings. Going direct with the DI if using the 1/4" out to you amp you can adjust the EQ at the board if desired to tweak the final sound. If using into a powered speaker and want the same tone sent to the mixer you can use the through of your powered speaker and send that to the PA or run the pedal to a DI and split it that way.

I've used racked power amps for many years...I know that any powerstage will add a degree of colour to anything (I have no idea what qualifies as 'true-flat'), but I'd prefer any pre-stage I used (be it, POD, BDDI, VT Bass, RBI, GED) is what does the work into my rig and what goes to FoH.

8 minutes ago, Tech21NYC said:

About 60mA.

The circuit itself draws very little. It's the LED's for the tuner and lights for the controls that exceed the maximum current limit for a phantom powered device.

@Tech21NYC

Thank you.

If it only draws 60mA then when the warranty has run out I may well see if there's enough room in the casing to add a battery clip. I'm not thinking about long term use - just for those shorter jams and the educational settings I often play in.

Can't wait to get mine. Every demo is making me more excited!

10 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

@Tech21NYC

Thank you.

If it only draws 60mA then when the warranty has run out I may well see if there's enough room in the casing to add a battery clip. I'm not thinking about long term use - just for those shorter jams and the educational settings I often play in.

Can't wait to get mine. Every demo is making me more excited!

You could try a non-permanent version of a battery clip to barrel jack adapter, battery secured to the unit via a cable tie? Or an external battery box...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PP3-Enclosed-Battery-Holder-Switch/dp/B00UNH65H2

Edited by dannybuoy
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

You could try a non-permanent version of a battery clip to barrel jack adapter, battery secured to the unit via a cable tie? Or an external battery box...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PP3-Enclosed-Battery-Holder-Switch/dp/B00UNH65H2

Cracking idea. I'll stick a barrel connector on the end and see what happens.

Review from one of the guys on TalkBass about the XLR output vs 1/4” and on the pedal

I just got mine and It's FU*KING AMAZING !!! One thing that is not explained well is that 1/4 inch output is full range and XLR is cabinet simulation. From what I tested myself it's 4x10. I know they said they used high and low pass filtering but I feel they were aiming for 4x10 configuration.I believe so because i have Digitech CabDryVR which is digital impulse response cab simulator and DP3X sounds closest to 4x10 when used with XLR out. Which means that's what you wanna record with and plug into your audio interface for DI recording or go to the front off the house or mixing board and 1/4 inch is of course for amps (even though no one says this is a rule just common sense).
Great touch that Tech 21 should have explained better as it is really a cool feature. Pedal sounds amazing and has TON of low end while having growl-y and cristal-y upper mids and highs. They just got it right. I am sure this one will be most sold bass pedal for a while.
This pedal cuts marble I mean every note is like a punch in the face.
Kills DarkGlass myth with a sniper headashot of incredible accuracy.

LOL that dude really has a bee up his chocolate starfish about the B7K Ultra he bought, then posted an epic thread + video rant about how bad Darkglass are, because they obviously have no clue since they don't use a crossover like the dUg pedal, because that is the ONLY way to get hard rock bass tone of course.

Edited by dannybuoy