Why become a member? ×

Learning bass guitar after 40's

pnunes76

Hi,

I'm 40 years old and I'm thinking to start learning to play bass guitar. I just read a lot information about the instrument, learning experiences, difficulties... My question is, I'm too old to learn to play bass guitar and how far I can go?

Thanks

Edited by pnunes76

[quote name='pnunes76' timestamp='1499622486' post='3332556']
You learn by yourself or you get a teacher?
[/quote]

I taught myself. I already played guitar and could read music, so that helped a lot!

These days there are lots of good resources on the internet, many of them free.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1499622826' post='3332560']
I taught myself. I already played guitar and could read music, so that helped a lot!

These days there are lots of good resources on the internet, many of them free.
[/quote]

Yes, I'm compiling as much information as I can, from websites to videos. Now, I'm choosing my first bass guitar, isn't easy.

[quote name='pnunes76' timestamp='1499623247' post='3332563']

Yes, I'm compiling as much information as I can, from websites to videos. Now, I'm choosing my first bass guitar, isn't easy.
[/quote]
Play as many as you can, even if it's just a basic noodle some will feel better than others. I wouldn't spend a great deal at first as it will take a while before you know what suits you best.

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1499622581' post='3332557']
I started 9 months ago at 44, was gigging by December, have had several gigs now, one a week on Friday and several, more booked. Go for it, it's great fun and a brilliant way to focus your mind and relax.
[/quote]

How many time you spend playing the bass?

You may like to cast a glance at the numerous offers the the forum Marketplace ...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/forum/19-basses-for-sale/"]Basses For Sale ...[/url]

Some bargains (several nice instruments at £300 or less...), many (or most..?) are already well set up; there may be someone local to you, too. Worth a look..? ;)

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='pnunes76' timestamp='1499623247' post='3332563']
[/quote]

These days there's no such thing as a bad bass guitar. They are all made to a pretty decent standard. Once you have it, I recommend learning a bit about setting it up so that it's easy to play (search for bass set up on google).

It took me 20 years of playing, before I figured out how to set my bass up properly :)

My best mate from years back has just started learning and he's 43 now. Not to old at all.

It's harder in the sense that you might have less free time as an adult, due to work, family etc, but that's all.

I'm guessing you already really like your music, which is the best resource you can have - hearing songs you like and trying to learn by copying them.

Really good inspiration to keep learning!

And also, playing an instrument is a great companion in life, regardless of whether you play for money or just for fun - you'll never regret doing it.

Good luck.

My brother in law started last year when he was 40ish and is coming along pretty nicely.

Ultimately it all comes down to practice, yes there are different levels of natural talent, but ultimately I believe you get out what you put in.

I played when I was in my 20s - stopped for about 15 years - the stuff I've learnt since starting playing again would have been beyond me back then - wasn't focused enough. As others have said "never to late"...

Initially there's no real reason to pay for knowledge, loads available on the Internet, stuff here, SBL.com,etc.

Learn your major and minor scales first - once you know these it's pretty much playing any of these in time and in the right key. A bit over-simplified but true.

Don't forget to recognise your progress, "[i]from small acorns great Oak trees grow[/i]", "[i]slow and steady[/i]", loads of sayings which mean that you need to stick with it. If you can you'll get there.

You've come to the right place for help and answers to your "[i]daft questions[/i]" - BTW there aren't any.

Welcome...

Edited by TheGreek

As someone that came late to bass, I would say get a tutor, even if it's just once a month. All the knowledge on the internet means nothing if you don't know how to apply it. Plus a tutor can give you immediate feedback and correct you - you dont get that from youtube!

Play with other people, don't just play on your own otherwise you will get bored really quickly.

[quote name='sammybee' timestamp='1499630152' post='3332627']
As someone that came late to bass, I would say get a tutor, even if it's just once a month. All the knowledge on the internet means nothing if you don't know how to apply it. Plus a tutor can give you immediate feedback and correct you - you dont get that from youtube!

Play with other people, don't just play on your own otherwise you will get bored really quickly.
[/quote]

I already have a tutor in mind. He is helping me to get a good left-handed bass with a fair price. I agree with you, it's important to get a tutor.

[quote name='pnunes76' timestamp='1499623812' post='3332570']

How many time you spend playing the bass?
[/quote]

Whatever time the wife and children allow me to have ;0)

Usually 3 to 4 times a week and for usually 30-60 minutes.

Make it a habit and it helps to keep a record of what you are practising and learning. I seem to spend most my time learning new covers and making sure I don't forget the old ones!

I didn't start until I was 42, totally self taught, no other musical experience. was playing in a band after about 4 months, it can be done, don't think about it, just DO IT!!!!

15 years later I'm still loving it, and still gigging fairly regular, its the best buzz I can get fully clothed. ;)

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1499629751' post='3332624']
I played when I was in my 20s - stopped for about 15 years - the stuff I've learnt since starting playing again would have been beyond me back then - wasn't focused enough. As others have said "never to late"...

Initially there's no real reason to pay for knowledge, loads available on the Internet, stuff here, SBL.com,etc.

Learn your major and minor scales first - once you know these it's pretty much playing any of these in time and in the right key. A bit over-simplified but true.

Don't forget to recognise your progress, "[i]from small acorns great Oak trees grow[/i]", "[i]slow and steady[/i]", loads of sayings which mean that you need to stick with it. If you can you'll get there.

You've come to the right place for help and answers to your "[i]daft questions[/i]" - BTW there aren't any.

Welcome...
[/quote]

I created a fold in my laptop with a lot of websites, tutorials and videos about learning bass guitar. I'm compilating the max of information I can get to start. Although, I don't have the instrument yet, I'm reading and seeing a lot....

Edited by pnunes76