Why become a member? ×

Learning bass guitar after 40's

pnunes76

[quote name='super al' timestamp='1499630990' post='3332636']
Whatever time the wife and children allow me to have ;0)

Usually 3 to 4 times a week and for usually 30-60 minutes.

Make it a habit and it helps to keep a record of what you are practising and learning. I seem to spend most my time learning new covers and making sure I don't forget the old ones!
[/quote]

The first step is to convince my wife to let me buy the bass...:D :D :D

[quote name='pnunes76' timestamp='1499631572' post='3332645']

The first step is to convince my wife to let me buy the bass...:D :D :D
[/quote]
Just do it. Too old is meaningless unless they are actually lowering you into the ground.

Just a thought, if you're just starting out, have you considered learning to play right handed?

I'm a righty myself, but I'm aware that our left handed friends are cruelly discriminated against when it comes to the availability and range of basses made for them.

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1499633408' post='3332661']
Just a thought, if you're just starting out, have you considered learning to play right handed?

I'm a righty myself, but I'm aware that our left handed friends are cruelly discriminated against when it comes to the availability and range of basses made for them.
[/quote]

It's one of my big questions, try to learn as righty or a left-handed...Some people advice me to learn as a right-handed. I have to try the two options.

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1499633408' post='3332661']

[/quote]

Not wanting to get into a spat, but for a lot of lefties it's not that simple. The OP's tutor is looking for a left handed instrument for him. Perhaps that might be a marker. Just a thought...

[quote name='pnunes76' timestamp='1499633602' post='3332667']
It's one of my big questions, try to learn as righty or a left-handed...Some people advice me to learn as a right-handed. I have to try the two options.
[/quote]

Do you do most others things left handed? By all means try both, but if you're handedness is strong you will know. I've had no difficulty choosing left handed basses. It's only an issue if you really want a particular bass that isn't made left handed. Don't believe everything you read. ;)

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1499634186' post='3332671']
Do you do most others things left handed? By all means try both, but if you're handedness is strong you will know. I've had no difficulty choosing left handed basses. It's only an issue if you really want a particular bass that isn't made left handed. Don't believe everything you read. ;)
[/quote]

No, for all the things I do in life I'm righty, just to play guitar I'm left-handed. I'll try the two ways, then I choose who is the right for me.

Started when I was 39. Played my first show a couple of months later (School musical) the day after my 40th birthday. It was Madness' 'Our House'. Two or three shows in one of Madnesss (Chrisy Boy) came to see it! We had a brief chat about playing the bass - which was very brief as he's the guitarist!

[quote name='pnunes76' timestamp='1499622049' post='3332551']
Hi,
I'm 40 years old and I'm thinking to start learning to play bass guitar. I just read a lot information about the instrument, learning experiences, difficulties... My question is, I'm too old to learn to play bass guitar and how far I can go?
Thanks
[/quote]

Whenever anyone posts up a question like this, you're always going to get positivity from members here (it's like nobody wants to say anything detrimental), so I'll pass on this little nugget:

I have a mate who started at 40-ish, he said the hardest things were;
i) not having the time to practice,
ii) not being able to remember everything he'd learnt - the capacity for recall isn't as great as it is/was when you're 20,
iii) the inherent fear that once he even got anywhere like up to speed, he was always going to be 20+ years behind guys of his age (which I suppose is fair comment),
iv) being overlooked for band positions because of his inexperience,
v) the fear that his wife will pull his testicles over his head if she finds out how much he's spending on this bedroom hobby.

He eventually gave up!

Learning anything is a long trip, so just be prepared for that. No one can just be handed an instrument and be expected to play it in a day, irrespective of what anyone says, it's a grind. It's going to hurt, you might even bleed once or twice, but if you're determined enough, you will succeed.

Edited by NancyJohnson

[quote name='pnunes76' timestamp='1499635028' post='3332685']

So, your advice is to learn as a right-handed?
[/quote]

No, my advice is to try both and go with the one that feels most comfortable.

I know many left handed people who have chosen to play right handed for what I believe to be the wrong reasons. Doing what feels most comfortable is by far the best reason to play one way or the other.

Handedness is a very complex thing that happens in your brain. I can explain it further if you wish, but I do not wish to spoil the thread without good reason.

Edited by leftybassman392

I played guitar and banjo in bands until I was in my early 40's and then got asked to play bass in a band who had lost their bass player.I bought a bass and learned a few basics(I can read music) and pretty much jumped right in and learned on the gigs and a few rehearsals.Thirty years on(I'm 71) I'm still playing in a couple of bands and gigging up to about 4 times a month and I am still working at my job more or less full time as well as gigging and rehearsing.I play EUB most of the time but still play some bass guitar.
Go for it, it can take you down a wonderful road!

I started at 35 I think. I had a great teacher but ultimately i think it's down to discipline, you can have the best teacher in the world but unless you commit yourself to learning it won't matter. If you can practice every day, put up with being crap for a while, and keep learning even during times when you're tired / not in the mood / busy with other stuff, you will be absolutely fine. Bass is a tough instrument, and needs regular practice, but it's also really rewarding, and progression is tangible, you can actually notice yourself improving almost on a daily basis.

If 40-something is "oldish" spare a thought for this 66 year old. I'm just getting back into the bass after about 10 years of not playing. I started in my mid 40s when the bass player left our church band. I just did what was necessary for each song and didn't really study the instrument properly. This time around I'm learning where all the notes are on the fret board, how to follow chord charts and read music. It is slow and I'm taking my time following on-line tutorials.

As I've mentioned on other threads, I'm left handed but play right handed. I tried to play classical guitar when I was 40 and my teacher advised that I played right handed. Playing right handed just seems natural now but I do need to get my fingers to work better! I don't have much of a finger spread so sometimes one finger per fret can be difficult. I use a short scale bass which makes playing just that bit less of a task.

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1499638388' post='3332706']
No, my advice is to try both and go with the one that feels most comfortable.

I know many left handed people who have chosen to play right handed for what I believe to be the wrong reasons. Doing what feels most comfortable is by far the best reason to play one way or the other.

Handedness is a very complex thing that happens in your brain. I can explain it further if you wish, but I do not wish to spoil the thread without good reason.
[/quote]

You can explain, there is no problem....

My suggestion is to take 3 or 4 lessons to learn the basics like how to hold the bass, where your fretting and plucking hands should be to minimise risk of injury.

Then just find tabs of your favourite songs and online free lessons.

Rocksmith is a 'game' that quickly teaches you techniques and is a quick way to learn songs as it uses a rolling TAB along a note highway similar to GH etc.You use a real bass .

It's a fun way to learn. It has dynamic difficulty in that it starts off giving you only a portion of the full notes and gradually adds more as you progress.

I started last year ,,bought a bass for my 56th birthday ,,,,,,i'd never touched an instrument in my life till then ,,,,,,,I go to work Monday morning and normally don't get home till Friday evening so only get to practice in the man cave weekends ,,,ive already been a guest bassist on four songs at a birthday party ,,,it was great ,,,,,go for it ,you don't have to rush out and join a band until you want to .

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1499635369' post='3332687']

Whenever anyone posts up a question like this, you're always going to get positivity from members here (it's like nobody wants to say anything detrimental), so I'll pass on this little nugget:

I have a mate who started at 40-ish, he said the hardest things were;
i) not having the time to practice,
ii) not being able to remember everything he'd learnt - the capacity for recall isn't as great as it is/was when you're 20,
iii) the inherent fear that once he even got anywhere like up to speed, he was always going to be 20+ years behind guys of his age (which I suppose is fair comment),
iv) being overlooked for band positions because of his inexperience,
v) the fear that his wife will pull his testicles over his head if she finds out how much he's spending on this bedroom hobby.

He eventually gave up!

Learning anything is a long trip, so just be prepared for that. No one can just be handed an instrument and be expected to play it in a day, irrespective of what anyone says, it's a grind. It's going to hurt, you might even bleed once or twice, but if you're determined enough, you will succeed.
[/quote]
I started soon after I turned 50.
I would agree with all of the above. It takes a lot of time and progress is slower than for youngsters. If you stop for a week your progress goes back too because the muscle-memory isn't ingrained.

Also, we have work that gets in the way of practice too. But if you can get into a band do that as soon as you can.

I too am left handed. I play right handed though. If you can play right handed: it gives you a far bigger choice of instruments. But I agree with Leftybassmsn, you need to try a bass and see if you can play right handed. Your brain will soon tell you if this won't happen.

Studybass.com
Scottsbasslessons.com

Both are good sites. Good luck and enjoy the journey; that's good to remember. There's no "end result". It's a journey.