Why become a member? ×

50 Years Ago Today,..........

gsgbass

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1496338697' post='3310715']
Christ on a bike, Ringo Starr is a sh*t drummer. I didn't realise that there might be some truth to the legend that Ringo wasn't even the best drummer in The Beatles.

He just doesn't/didn't seem to have a clue.
[/quote]

Sorry, but thats absolute tosh. You can say you dont like his drumming, but to claim the man who was one of the inventors of pop/rock music as we know it was/is s**t or didnt have a clue, shows a complete lack of musical history. Or I have just fallen for an almighty Troll.

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1496391371' post='3310958']
Or I have just fallen for an almighty Troll.
[/quote]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Nope, sorry it's just an opinion. Simply because I'm not a fan of The Beatles (aside from the handful of songs that I knew already), it doesn't entitle me to an opinion. This isn't anything about the type of quote (now attributed to Jasper Carrott) or that line in Red Dwarf where Holly says:[/font]

[font=courier new,courier,monospace]HOLLY: Well, for instance, in this universe, it could be that Hitler won the Second World War. It could be something even more incredible, like perhaps Ringo was a really [i]good[/i] drummer. [/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]I only listened to SPLHCB yesterday and again last night. With the exception of Within You Without You, it's a decent listen, it really is, the musicianship/vocals are great, but my immediate thought was what the hell is going on with the drums. [His] approach is almost child-like; the sort of thing that my 10 year old nephew would do when prompted to come and play along. I do wonder what The Beatles would have sounded like if someone like Dave Clark had drummed for them.[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]I don't buy into the Dave Grohl comment above that he was 'a f***ing badass' just because he could get a crowd going by playing consecutive hits on the floor tom and kick. It was The Beatles! For the love of god, Ringo could have just farted in a paper bag and the crowd would have gone crazy. It's the same kind of mindset that voted Danny Bonaduce the second most famous bass player behind McCartney.[/font]

Edited by NancyJohnson

I was at The Royal Albert Hall last night as the much loved and respected Bootleg Beatles with the Liverpool Philharmonic performed the whole album live from start to finish, 50 years to the day it came out.
Standout moments for me were She's Leaving Home, and the 'George Harrison' performing Within You Without You on Sitar with a tabla player.
Bloody brilliant night. ;)
http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/music/812076/The-Beatles-Stg-Peppers-Lonely-Hearts-Club-Band-Royal-Albert-Hall-tribute-band

[quote name='bazztard' timestamp='1496332996' post='3310641']
it isn't even about the music, it is about the PROCESS of multitracking that opened up a whole new way of making music for every single artist since .
[/quote]

But Les Paul had been using multitrack recorders for many years before Sgt Pepper....

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1496398368' post='3311047']
But Les Paul had been using multitrack recorders for many years before Sgt Pepper....
[/quote]

Yup, Les Paul undeniably got there first, and in so many contexts. Unbelievable guy.

But.

How many people followed his lead?

There were some, of course, but most pop music (by which I'd guess I mean 99%) did not go that route for the next ten years.

Then the Beatles did it, and then most pop music (by which I'd guess I mean 99%) copied them.

Can you see the difference?

:)

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1496398024' post='3311040']
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]I don't buy into the Dave Grohl comment above that he was 'a f***ing badass' just because he could get a crowd going by playing consecutive hits on the floor tom and kick. It was The Beatles! For the love of god, Ringo could have just farted in a paper bag and the crowd would have gone crazy. [/font]
[/quote]

Ringo could have farted into a paper bag, but if he did the records wouldn't have been as good, the whole world of drumming wouldn't have changed and no one would be saying what they are saying now. Don't you see that?

Grohl's point was, it's what Ringo played, how he played it and how he fitted it into the song and not some "super" technique that makes him so good.

I get it's not for you. . . . but it's time to stop digging!

I discovered Pepper at the age of 11, when I discovered my dad's complete collection of Beatles vinyl. Listening to the whole back catalogue back to back for the first time was revelatory, to my young ears, and I've never strayed far since. Pretty much everything I would have said has been said in the thread already, however I would like to say that 'Pepper' is by no means my favourite Beatles album (that'd be Abbey Road or Revolver) but I do think that if Penny Lane and Strawberry Fields had made it on to the album instead of When I'm Sixty Four and George's song then Pepper would be pretty damn perfect.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1496394907' post='3311006']
Oh come on Dave, how can a bunch of The World's Great Drummers possibly know more than The Usual Beatle-hating Suspects here on Basschat?
[/quote]

Sorry Jack, I have been trying hard to avoid these futile arguments ... but, sometimes, you know.

[quote name='MrCrane' timestamp='1496403243' post='3311095']
Not a patch on these guys...
[/quote]

S'good, and still funny, but parody of the sort can only be produced [i]after [/i]the original, not before, the point being that Sgt Pepper's was there [i]first[/i]. The mockery (and tributes...) came afterwards, when it's too late; the ground had already been broken. There are many pianists that perform some piece or other 'in the style of' Handl, Mozart, Prokofiev then Bartok (other composers are available...). Entertaining, but those composers are still as great, simply because they created their own recognisable style, as did the Beatles in their own domain.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1496407680' post='3311177']
S'good, and still funny, but parody of the sort can only be produced [i]after [/i]the original, not before, the point being that Sgt Pepper's was there [i]first[/i]. The mockery (and tributes...) came afterwards, when it's too late; the ground had already been broken. There are many pianists that perform some piece or other 'in the style of' Handl, Mozart, Prokofiev then Bartok (other composers are available...). Entertaining, but those composers are still as great, simply because they created their own recognisable style, as did the Beatles in their own domain.
[/quote]

Agree 100%. One of the reasons the parody works is because the original it is based on is so instantly identifiable.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1496409794' post='3311212']
Of course, Lennon was also not very good technically ...
[/quote]

that rhythm part in all my lovin was pretty good

Edited by bumnote

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1496407680' post='3311177']
S'good, and still funny, but parody of the sort can only be produced [i]after [/i]the original, not before, the point being that Sgt Pepper's was there [i]first[/i]. The mockery (and tributes...) came afterwards, when it's too late; [size=5]the ground had already been broken[/size]. There are many pianists that perform some piece or other 'in the style of' Handl, Mozart, Prokofiev then Bartok (other composers are available...). Entertaining, but those composers are still as great, simply because they created their own recognisable style, as did the Beatles in their own domain.
[/quote]

I thought it was wind that had been broken shortly after Ringo had picked up a large paper bag...? I really like the Rutles. I need my bumps felt.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1496398024' post='3311040']
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Nope, sorry it's just an opinion. Simply because I'm not a fan of The Beatles (aside from the handful of songs that I knew already), it doesn't entitle me to an opinion. This isn't anything about the type of quote (now attributed to Jasper Carrott) or that line in Red Dwarf where Holly says:[/font]

[font=courier new,courier,monospace]HOLLY: Well, for instance, in this universe, it could be that Hitler won the Second World War. It could be something even more incredible, like perhaps Ringo was a really [i]good[/i] drummer. [/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]I only listened to SPLHCB yesterday and again last night. With the exception of Within You Without You, it's a decent listen, it really is, the musicianship/vocals are great, but my immediate thought was what the hell is going on with the drums. [His] approach is almost child-like; the sort of thing that my 10 year old nephew would do when prompted to come and play along. I do wonder what The Beatles would have sounded like if someone like Dave Clark had drummed for them.[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]I don't buy into the Dave Grohl comment above that he was 'a f***ing badass' just because he could get a crowd going by playing consecutive hits on the floor tom and kick. It was The Beatles! For the love of god, Ringo could have just farted in a paper bag and the crowd would have gone crazy. It's the same kind of mindset that voted Danny Bonaduce the second most famous bass player behind McCartney.[/font]
[/quote]

I was right, its a Troll. The Dave Clark comment is the clincher. Go and play somewhere else.

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1496421901' post='3311344']
I was right, its a Troll. The Dave Clark comment is the clincher. Go and play somewhere else.
[/quote]

You know, I had a teacher at school who said once that there's always a bully in every playground.

If anyone watched Howard Goodall's program last night on the making of Pep ( composer of Blackadder title track and much more ) , it was fabulous watching him breakdown the way the Peps tracks were constructed, and just what incredible work and genius those guys used to magic them tracks out of thin air. Even ' within you ' whether you like it or not

I have even more respect for their musical prowess than i used to