Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Go cheap and mod ....

Rumble

Simple question:

Having decided to go back to a jazz after having a go with a Stingray, should I shell out £250 on a cheap (eg Squire CVJ, VMJ, or Fender MIM) and put some mods on it or just spend the extra on a nice Japanese or US one?

I'm quite into the idea of doing some of my own mods, but can't help but wonder whether the 'cheapness' will show itself in things I can't really influence (i.e. fret dressing, neck-body joint, deadspots etc...)

What d'ya reckon?

I'd go for the jap one and give it 3-6 months. Ultimately there's no accounting for taste but with instruments that have been built to a budget you can never tell whether the've skimped on the wood (which isn't upgradable) or any other bits, until you've tried the bass out.

[quote name='Sean.Robinson' post='316081' date='Oct 27 2008, 07:11 PM']Personally id wait until a Japanese bass comes up on the forum, usually around the £250 mark and then mod that[/quote]

+1 Definitely the way to go if you're into mods.

As a bass player who is constantly tinkering at a shabby collection of far eastern firewood, I'd have to say that the only reason you should be doing this is for the fun of it or the learning experience. Don't do it to save money - you won't. The upgraded parts + cheapy bass will nearly equal the value of the higher end bass anyway and the upgraded parts won't increase the resale value. The prevailing wisdom is that a Squier with a Badass on it is still a Squier.

Not picking on Squier on purpose - my Epi EB-3 is also a prime example - it may well have a Hipshot Supertone bridge on it and a DiMarzio Model One pup at the neck, but it's still an Epi EB-3 at the end of the day, if I sold it I'd only get market value for it stock and the purchase price of it plus mods would probably put you well on your way to a Gibson SG reissue probably anyway. Maybe stay out of the pub for a couple of weekends and you're there.

In short - mod for fun and knowledge/experience, not to save money.

[quote name='neepheid' post='316755' date='Oct 28 2008, 02:53 PM']In short - mod for fun and knowledge/experience, not to save money.[/quote]

Deffo - or perhaps if you really [i]must[/i] in search of a specific tone.

Modding / building a bass has only had two specific advantages for me...

1) It's mine and there's not another like it.
2) I know exactly how to fix everything with it.

I could have bought a US fender for the price I paid for an MIM and all the mods I've done to it... and in the end - its still a MIM fender. (although there's only the body that's left!)

[quote name='Rumble' post='316076' date='Oct 27 2008, 07:01 PM']Simple question:

Having decided to go back to a jazz after having a go with a Stingray, should I shell out £250 on a cheap (eg Squire CVJ, VMJ, or Fender MIM) and put some mods on it or just spend the extra on a nice Japanese or US one?

I'm quite into the idea of doing some of my own mods, but can't help but wonder whether the 'cheapness' will show itself in things I can't really influence (i.e. fret dressing, neck-body joint, deadspots etc...)

What d'ya reckon?[/quote]

The question for me is: why the switch to the Stingray and why the switch back? If you had a Jazz before and liked it, why not go back to what you had? Depending on your motivation, the answer might to mod a "good" Fender or even go for a Jazz-based non-Fender.

I'm a sucker for modding and the reason is as stated above:

[u]It's mine and there's not another like it. [/u]

I get a lot of work because people feel they're buying into uniqueness (NS, Custom Ps). My instruments may not be constructed from woods as consistent as some high-end builders, but their accessories still make them beautiful!!

Dan

The curent reality, IMHO, is that, for instance, the newer Squiers are great in their own right. My VM P TB is a cracker, and all I've personally modded was better tuners, a Fender string tree, and a Fender bridge cover, so that, apart from the 3-bolt and bullet, it's a Telecaster. It's entirely gig-worthy otherwise. So I too am beginning to have some resonance with the idea of buying 'cheap' and modding up a bit. I've got a hankering for a CV 60s P, which I would put VR tuners on, and the metalwork. Instant brand new 60s P! There's simply no downside.

I have modded both my Fenders - swapped out the preamps for better ones and swapped out the pickups and tuners on one to make it more like the other.

However, modding is only worthwhile from a financial perspective if you plan on keeping the instrument and want a reliable workhorse with superior components.

I reckon you'd be lucky to get a 50% return on the value of retro fitted components if you decided to sell on the instrument.

If it were me, I'd save up as much as possible and wait for a nice US Fender to appear 2nd hand.

Edited by bassbloke

I've only replaced the control plate assembly on my VMJ as I was able to get my hands on a fully loaded ex Fender Geddy Lee plate for next to nothing. Otherwise, I'd not have bothered at all.

I've got no problems with the pickups, bridge or tuners... they're fine.

Strings... well, there was nothing wrong with the stock Fender strings, but I've gone over to nylon tapewounds and in a short while, when I can afford to let it out of my hands, it's going into the shop to get the nut replaced with a bone nut cut to fit the Rotosound Tru-Bass strings I've got waiting for it (gosh, they're fat... and they don't do a set which will go straight on without messing with the nut)

Go for a Spunky Standard jazzer from Willows Guitar Works
[url="http://willowsguitar.com/willow_sub10_1.html"]http://willowsguitar.com/willow_sub10_1.html[/url]
Mine's bloody great.Amazing quality bass straight out the box for under £300 delivered,seriously.

Edited by kennyrodg

[quote name='Rumble' post='316076' date='Oct 27 2008, 07:01 PM']Simple question:

What d'ya reckon?[/quote]

Have you cheched out SX basses.They are great quality for the money.D :)

I'm quite relieved to see some Squier love going on here, seeing as (to see how I'd get on with 5 strings) I've just ordered a Deluxe Jazz V Active..... then immediately doubted myself.
I've already had 2 people take the Mick out of me for buying it. Come to think of it I've only told 2 people about it. :)
It's user reviews are glowing but I'll not know how it suits me until it gets here... sure looks perdee tho.

[attachment=15334:38607_l.jpg]

From what I've read there's not much need to mod them other than perhaps different pre-amp and pups to suit your tastes. Oh and they can covert to good 6'ers too.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='317472' date='Oct 29 2008, 12:23 PM']I'm quite relieved to see some Squier love going on here, seeing as (to see how I'd get on with 5 strings) I've just ordered a Deluxe Jazz V Active..... then immediately doubted myself.
I've already had 2 people take the Mick out of me for buying it. Come to think of it I've only told 2 people about it. :)
It's user reviews are glowing but I'll not know how it suits me until it gets here... sure looks perdee tho.

[attachment=15334:38607_l.jpg]

From what I've read there's not much need to mod them other than perhaps different pre-amp and pups to suit your tastes. Oh and they can covert to good 6'ers too.[/quote]

IIRC I just took the mick because you could have had a shottie of my OLP MM3 for free to see if you liked 5 string :huh:

You know I've got the Squier lurve.

Agree with the Squeir love! I tried a few MIM jazzes before i bought mine and the Squier felt and sounded better. The second hand MIA Jazz i tried was more than 3 times the price and definitely did not sound 3 times as good. Stuck Barts in my Squier and it kicked the MIA into touch

If you really want an F on the headstock buy a decal for under a tenner!

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='317494' date='Oct 29 2008, 12:47 PM']Fair doo's bud. You ain't lurving the Jazz though eh? :)[/quote]

Nah, the Jazz shape isn't to my taste, doesn't matter who makes it.

Mind you, at least your one addresses some of my concerns - the lack of chrome control plate and a matching headstock can distract a person.

Of course I'd like a shottie of it when you get it... y'know, for reconnaissance purposes.