Why become a member? ×

D'Addario chromes.

ambient

If Thomastik can't make you a custom set, I've heard La Bella are very accommodating to putting custom sets together for people and they make a low tension flat which is probably the closest you'll see to TIs.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1493906036' post='3291715']
If Thomastik can't make you a custom set, I've heard La Bella are very accommodating to putting custom sets together for people and they make a low tension flat which is probably the closest you'll see to TIs.
[/quote]

Thanks, I've emailed Thomastik, I'll email LaBella too.

[quote name='geoffbyrne' timestamp='1493910492' post='3291780']
The new Ernie Ball Cobalts are very compliant but I'm not sure you'd get a 7 string set....

G.
[/quote]

That's the problem, plenty of flat wound strings being made, but the high F is the problem.

There's no problem with round wound strings at all.

I've even tried a flat wound guitar string, but it wasn't long enough.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1493907467' post='3291738']
As said chromes are a bit stiff. Great for getting a super low action though.
I thought they also dulled a bit too quickly. Some may like that however.
[/quote]

They do lose the initial zing quite quickly, but then settle down nicely and don't get to being really dull for a long while. As regards stiffness, I find them softer than La Bellas for a given gauge. I use LBs on my P bass and Chromes on my Jazz.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1493906036' post='3291715']
[/quote]

I was disappointed to get a stock response from them last year regarding sets of five DBEs. No opportunity to [s]bribe someone[/s] sensibly discuss custom options was presented. Even though they do flat DBEs in sets of four they explicitly say their strings are not suitable for Spirit guitars (five).

I think, for my request, it was a production issue with the DBE low B even though there were no lines to read between - just a polite rejection. You may well do okay. I hear good things about their strings by and large.

I have some D'addario chromes I took off my bass. I thought the tension was quite tough. Not the worst I've encountered, that award from me goes to Rotosounds. I recently tried a bass with Fender flats on, the tension was just like round wounds to me. I've not tried TI for comparison.

I had Tis on my bass for a few years & loved them. Snapped the D string! I couldn't get a single D string. :(
Replaced them with D'addario Chromes & they're a much brighter string, but still really good. After a bit of playing, they become really comfortable.

I find Chromes to be very close in tension to D'Addario nickel round wounds of the same gauge. I have changed several basses from the rounds to the flats recently, and they each required a slight tightening of the truss rod to achieve the same relief.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1493911227' post='3291782']
That's the problem, plenty of flat wound strings being made, but the high F is the problem.
[/quote]

What's the gauge you are looking for as a high F? I always used 0.020 and can't remember I ever came upon a wound one, only plain steel ones.
I don't think anyone makes wound strings near 0.020, flat or roundwound.

[quote name='Paulhauser' timestamp='1493931322' post='3292008']

What's the gauge you are looking for as a high F? I always used 0.020 and can't remember I ever came upon a wound one, only plain steel ones.
I don't think anyone makes wound strings near 0.020, flat or roundwound.
[/quote]

I'm using D'Addario nickels, I think it's currently a .024.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1493933098' post='3292024']
I'm using D'Addario nickels, I think it's currently a .024.
[/quote]

Valueable info, I just went to D'Addario's site and found that they indeed do .028 and .024 wound bass strings (single strings).
I wasn't aware of these. Thanks!

[quote name='Paulhauser' timestamp='1493966407' post='3292139']
Valueable info, I just went to D'Addario's site and found that they indeed do .028 and .024 wound bass strings (single strings).
I wasn't aware of these. Thanks!
[/quote]

Paul, Status do a .020 (& .025) roundwound as a single in the custom set section a their site..

Brendan

I've got a set on my fretless that do the job just fine, I used the d'addario tension charts to put together a set from Strings Direct and I was delighted to find that they were exactly as promised tension wise.

I did have to go down a couple of gauges compared to my preference in roundwounds so I would definitely check out the tension calculator that d'addario has before buying.