Why become a member? ×

Fender: Standard vs Deluxe

joe_bass

Going to be 21 in December & I like the idea of getting an American jazz, 1 to hopefully hold on to, sentimental value yadda yadda yadda... :)

Thought it would be interesting to have a thread on here comparing Fender American standards to the deluxe models. From what I've heard it seems to be evenly sided in some cases, which is worrying seeing as the deluxe boasts more & comes with a substantially higher price tag! I can appreciate that it may be biased on the particular bass played though, as Fender do seem to make the occasional dudd.

Must be a few members out there who have played around with both before deciding on 1 or the other, so I'd like your opinions please. Is the deluxe really worth the price tag??

umm, what would i do if it was me???
i mean certainly for the original and simplest design go for the standard jazz, but if i was me id go for a cheaper jazz and modify it yourself, then it would be more your instrument, or even scratch build a jazz, e.g.body from warmoth or ebay, neck the same, or even a status graphite one, pickups/electrics of your choice and hardware is your choice too...i think it would make it a lot more personal...:)

just my opinion though mate

up 2 you

hope this helps

mB

umm, what would i do if it was me???
i mean certainly for the original and simplest design go for the standard jazz, but if i was me id go for a cheaper jazz and modify it yourself, then it would be more your instrument, or even scratch build a jazz, e.g.body from warmoth or ebay, neck the same, or even a status graphite one, pickups/electrics of your choice and hardware is your choice too...i think it would make it a lot more personal...

just my opinion though mate

up 2 you

hope this helps

mB

[quote]Would like to know how people have got on with the standard vs deluxe though.[/quote]

The Deluxe will be active (if I remember correctly), so will sound more "hi-fi". It will also be made from nicer wood. As for the overall difference in playability/build quality I personally haven't found a great deal of difference, but bear in mind I've only been noodling in shops with these things....

For me a Fender should be a solid Workhorse, so I'd veer towards a Standard, but if this is to be a special present then you might want the extras.

There's a thread on this subject here (assuming it's not your thread):

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=401571"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=401571[/url]

[quote]Was considering a Sadowsky Metro or a Sandberg as alternatives.[/quote]

I guess I'm one of those who thinks these are far superior (and much more befitting a special treat). Again, just my opinion. :)

Cheers,

Edited by rjb

Yeah saw the TB thread when I had a search on Google. Thought it would be cool to get opinions here etc, & help build up more of a knowledge base on the site. :huh:

Yeah deluxe is an active, standard of course just your usual jazz bass stuff.

Other makes deff aren't out of my mind, but since I got my Mexican jazz years ago I've always liked the idea of an American Fender. Just needed to get a decent 5 string & a Stingray out the way first lol. :)

As someone who has owned both, I can say that for me, the Standard blew the Deluxe out the water!
I haven't got the Deluxe anymore as a result!

The Fender preamp is tosh, nice enough bass I guess, but tone wise the Standard owned it!

Having said that, I know at least three guys personally who love their Deluxes, you won't know until you try them both!
What I will say is that my old Deluxe sounded great in the bedroom, it was gig situations that it really performed poorly! So try and gig everything!

Good luck

Si

[quote name='rjb' post='313693' date='Oct 24 2008, 12:17 PM']For the money I would much sooner consider a Sadowsky Metro, but that's just my opinion! :)[/quote]I have played both the US standard and Deluxe and they are lovely..(i would go for the Standard)..But i have to agree. i have a Sadowsky RV5 and its in a different league..Bit more cash but its worth it..Its a very special bass..Sorry about the diversion.

The standard Jazz is such a pure, simple instrument.

I had a "significant" birthday and went to see Pete Stevens about ordering my dream bass, my very own Wal. I didn't do it in the end and I'm glad because 6 months later I found my Lakland.... end of story!
If you have to have a Fender, and everyone should own at least one, get a used bass that feels great to play and then, if you need to, upgrade the pickups to the sound you want, but be prepared to find something even better next week!!

[quote name='rjb' post='313693' date='Oct 24 2008, 12:17 PM']For the money I would much sooner consider a Sadowsky Metro, but that's just my opinion! :huh:[/quote]

i agree!!

i know everyone is probably getting bored of me banging on about sadowsky but if your planning on making this 21st birthday bass a keeper then you really cant go wrong with a sadowsky metro!!

good luck with whatever you decide on though man :)

I've had one of the new American Standards & they're excellent basses. The deluxe model isn't worth the extra outlay, especially due to the aforementioned awful preamp. If you want active, get an Am.Std & order a Sadowsky outboard pre. Or better still, follow Chris's advice. Go Sadowsky :)

Rich.

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

[quote name='clauster' post='313756' date='Oct 24 2008, 01:12 PM']Or look at Jon Shuker's stock basses - there's a couple of Jazzes on there for less than you'd pay for a new US jazz![/quote]

+1 to that. I played the natural 70s style one at the bottom of this link when I was Jon's workshop last. Amazing quality, handbuilt, and looks stunning - all for £650!
[url="http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk/stock.htm"]http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk/stock.htm[/url]

I've got a deluxe precision, I know it's not a jazz, but i assume the pre amp is the same.

Someone mentioned it can sound too hi fi. Not sure about that. I find that I can dial up a modern sound very easily and its equally at home with the sound I would expect from a traditional precision.
It can cut through the plethora of guitarists in the band I'm with. Love the mid boost/cut. Stays in tune and looks just great, what more would I want?

Mine is ten years old now though, so maybe it has a different active circuit to the new ones.

Not sure about the advice re fitting a Sadowsky pre. Having tried a nice selection of the NYC basses on my recent visit to the Sadowsky workshop my favourite tone was in passive mode with the tone control backed off a touch. Maybe for a lesser bass it could help, but my experience has not left me with any Sadowsky pre GAS...

[quote name='simon1964' post='314399' date='Oct 25 2008, 10:40 AM']+1 to that. I played the natural 70s style one at the bottom of this link when I was Jon's workshop last. Amazing quality, handbuilt, and looks stunning - all for £650!
[url="http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk/stock.htm"]http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk/stock.htm[/url][/quote]

Wow. £650's a bit of a steal for those...

[quote name='rjb' post='315344' date='Oct 26 2008, 08:30 PM']You might be interested in this... :)

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=30446"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=30446[/url][/quote]

Very nice! If it was a 4 string I would have considered.