Why become a member? ×

Why would anyone want to be the bass player in an indie band?

Barking Spiders

[quote name='Barking Spiders' timestamp='1490606085' post='3266254']
. . . . And why anyone would wanna play bass in an indie band beats me as it's all seems to be about picking 8ths on the root while gazing at the back of the hall.
[/quote]
Why would anyone play in ZZ Top, Status Quo or U2?

I get you don't like this stuff but that doesn't mean it isn't good music for others.

[quote name='Skybone' timestamp='1490645455' post='3266771']
Watched the highlights show yesterday, and TBH, I was thinking the same thing about the basslines, but I suppose the intricacies of the jangly, intertwining guitar lines don't require anything more then a relatively simple bass line.

I thought Jesus & Mary Chain were good, Warpaint's music wasn't my thing, but the bass player was very good (and played a Ric). Goldfrapp's bass players Plexi P bass was very nice indeed.
[/quote]

I haven't watched it, but Warpaint have made some very good music. The rhythm section are excellent and the the two sparse guitars approach really works with the 4 voices. However, in the absence of showy playing, it lives and dies on the material and the new he new album is a bit sucky alas. There seems to be a push for radio play and away from the 80s meets psych influences.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1490664266' post='3266882']
I thought the question was, " why would anyone want to be a bass player in an indie band"

Well, around here indie bands at the local level hardly ever gig. There's only a very small market for them.

So, my initial thought was, a guy that does want to gig would be attracted to an indie band.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Blue
[/quote]

More likely a hopeless optimist who think that their indie band is inherently superior to all the others and therefore will get to gig where others have failed. Rule 1 with original material is that you have to 100% believe in it and believe that the audience will eventually come, even if they aren't there now. Irrespective of any evidence to the contrary. Peter Hook's recent New Order memoir states that he will go on, even if there is only one punter in the room, on the grounds that Joy Division played to a completely empty room, and an audience of one is an improvement on that. Joy Division didn't make a penny from gigs and no money at all until after Ian was dead and New Order were already touring. I think history has vindicated their decision to stick at it.

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1490682259' post='3266905']
As a curious side note Blue, obviously you do this for a living (as well as enjoyment), would you happily play in a band that played a genre you disliked? I appreciate that you don't have to at the moment.
Just curious :)
[/quote]

I'm not really a "I don't like this or that genre" kind of a guy. For me it's more about business, professionalism, good people meaning the caliber of the people in the band.

Now, there are some genres, I would gladly play but would not be a good fit for. Like thrash, contemporary pop, or country.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='radiophonic' timestamp='1490693427' post='3267053']

More likely a hopeless optimist who think that their indie band is inherently superior to all the others and therefore will get to gig where others have failed. Rule 1 with original material is that you have to 100% believe in it and believe that the audience will eventually come, even if they aren't there now. Irrespective of any evidence to the contrary. Peter Hook's recent New Order memoir states that he will go on, even if there is only one punter in the room, on the grounds that Joy Division played to a completely empty room, and an audience of one is an improvement on that. Joy Division didn't make a penny from gigs and no money at all until after Ian was dead and New Order were already touring. I think history has vindicated their decision to stick at it.
[/quote]

If your a signed indie band I'm sure people will show up. Notice my comment referenced " local level ".

Thing is, a signed indie act to me is no longer a local band.

I was confusing original band with indie band.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1490722685' post='3267414']

If your a signed indie band I'm sure people will show up. Notice my comment referenced " local level ".

Thing is, a signed indie act to me is no longer a local band.

I was confusing original band with indie band.

Blue
[/quote]

It's not straightforward. Joy Division never left Manchester. Their label was local. Shellac are in every sense, a Chicago band and release records on a Chicago label. Both are international in their following and reach. Calling either 'signed' is stretching a point though... as Warners discovered to their detriment when they bought Factory Records!

I play in an indie covers band.
I often think to myself "why would anyone play in a jazz band?"
I bet that would be an interesting thread to start!

Indie is a broad church as has already been said but I get a lot of enjoyment out of simple bass lines. It frees me up to enjoy the groove 🤘🏻 I don't have to think too hard about what I'm playing, just enjoy playing it.

[quote name='ribbetingfrog' timestamp='1490734853' post='3267586']

[/quote]

I've played guitar in an (unsigned, if that's not a contradiction) originals indie band, I would have played bass, but I can't sing and play bass at the same time. It was immensely enjoyable.

I'd love to play bass in a jazz band, These days jazz and funk are much more my thing, the reason I don't is because I just don't think I'm good enough.

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1490735750' post='3267595']

I've played guitar in an (unsigned, if that's not a contradiction) originals indie band, I would have played bass, but I can't sing and play bass at the same time. It was immensely enjoyable.

I'd love to play bass in a jazz band, These days jazz and funk are much more my thing, the reason I don't is because I just don't think I'm good enough.
[/quote]

I'd love to play in a jazz or funk band. The reason I don't, there's no money in it.

Blue

[quote name='ribbetingfrog' timestamp='1490734853' post='3267586']

Indie is a broad church as has already been said but I get a lot of enjoyment out of simple bass lines. It frees me up to enjoy the groove 🤘🏻 I don't have to think too hard about what I'm playing, just enjoy playing it.
[/quote]

I suspect there is a certain amount of snobbery involved in this argument (not just on this forum, but generally). Indie / alternative rock / guitar band music (or whatever anybody wants to call it) is looked down on by some people owing to it's format, whereas jazz is probably considered more valid or legitimate by some, owing to it's emphasis on virtuosity.

Edited by PaulGibsonBass

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1490737201' post='3267612']
I'd love to play in a jazz or funk band. The reason I don't, there's no money in it.

Blue
[/quote]

Only if you are not promoting yourself correctly... Money can be made in most genre's I would say, Its just finding the market

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1490651360' post='3266835']distributors which essentially meant that it was done by either Rough Trade or Red Rhino.
[/quote]
or Pinnacle
or Jungle
or...there were many back in the heyday - today there are several new ones

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1490774912' post='3267776']

Only if you are not promoting yourself correctly... Money can be made in most genre's I would say, Its just finding the market
[/quote]

Fair enough but for some, not just me, the market in our areas is way to small to even bother.

Blue

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1490780046' post='3267835']
or Pinnacle
or Jungle
or...there were many back in the heyday - today there are several new ones
[/quote]

Why would anyone want independent distribution for physical product these days?

IME in the past when distribution of your records and CDs was essential if you wanted to sell any outside of your home town; unless you were a massively popular act and could guarantee sales of at least several hundred copies of your album or single every month, the best you could hope for would be to get most of your records back unsold and in slightly worse condition than when you initially supplied them. Most likely you would never see any product returned or any money paid.

Nowadays it's far easier to sell your records directly from your band's website or a site like Bandcamp, and you don't need to worry about half your stock disappearing never to be seen again.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1490802024' post='3268184']
Why would anyone want independent distribution for physical product these days?

Nowadays it's far easier to sell your records directly from your band's website or a site like Bandcamp, and you don't need to worry about half your stock disappearing never to be seen again.
[/quote]
We've distribution via Cherry Red at the moment. It's their money tied up in the physical product too. We get a statement and royalties every quarter ....we sell copy via our own outlets but effectively have to buy product from Cherry Red to do so.....

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1490803288' post='3268201']
We've distribution via Cherry Red at the moment. It's their money tied up in the physical product too. We get a statement and royalties every quarter ....we sell copy via our own outlets but effectively have to buy product from Cherry Red to do so.....
[/quote]

With Cherry Red funding the physical product and being the distributers, you should be fairly safe when it comes to getting your money - to me it looks more like a licensing deal than a distribution one.

When you are a small label (essentially a band self-releasing) relying on 3rd party distribution it's unfortunately fairly easy to get ripped off. My personal experience with distribution deals has been disappointing in terms of getting either unsold product back or income from those records that did sell. However at least I didn't suffer the same fate as a band a friend of mine was in where they lost their entire stock of their debut single and any money owed after their distributer went bust.

[quote name='Barking Spiders' timestamp='1490606085' post='3266254']
Ride beats me
[/quote]

My list of favourite most played albums ever would feature lots of genres and not be dominated in any way by indie , but Rides first album "Nowhere" would be in there.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1490612381' post='3266359']
That's the sort of statement made by someone who has yet to learn the difference between musicianship and music, and why for everyone except self-involved musicians the latter is far more important.
[/quote]

Very wise words.

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1490803472' post='3268204']
Sorry not had time to read the entire thread but playing in a self appointed "edgy Indie Disco" band I have no actual idea what "Indie" is supposed to mean, please can someone define this mystical genre?
[/quote]

Indie was originally artists releasing on independent label music , so bands not signed to a big label

Or an indie band could get a big label deal then is technically not an indie band anymore , but indie is now a wide genre not a reference to thier label , it's all very confusing.

I blame prog rock , genres where fairly easy to catorgorise before that

I could be wrong of course and often am

Edited by lojo

I've no idea how anyone who plays an instrument could not understand the sheer fun of writing music, an actual song, that doesn't revolve around how technical anyone in the band is.

Writing a song, from scratch, including lyrics, then putting it all together with everyone helping with their own part, is an amazing part of music. It far surpasses any cover work or 'doing it for the money'.

Technical proficiency does not make you a good musician.

There are many many great bass players in 'indie'....

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1490863718' post='3268554']
I've no idea how anyone who plays an instrument could not understand the sheer fun of writing music, an actual song, that doesn't revolve around how technical anyone in the band is.

Writing a song, from scratch, including lyrics, then putting it all together with everyone helping with their own part, is an amazing part of music. It far surpasses any cover work or 'doing it for the money'.

Technical proficiency does not make you a good musician.

There are many many great bass players in 'indie'....
[/quote]

All sorts of yes, sometimes this view gets a little lost I think!