Why become a member? ×

Tug bar makes no sense or does it?

SH73

My CIJ mustang didn't come with one, but I added one as I like the vintage look.

I don't really use it, but it is good for getting a deep wooly tone - particularly if you have some length on the nails of the right hand (eg for playing ukulele) where playing fingerstyle could have too bright an attack. Even if you don't use it, it doesn't get in the way.

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1485950926' post='3227914']
The idea was to hold the tug bar with your fingers and play the bass near the neck with your thumb.
[/quote]

Sure, when it was below the strings :-) But it's migrated above the strings now..

Edited by markstuk

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1485951126' post='3227916']
Sure, when it was below the strings :-) But it's migrated above the strings now..
[/quote]

When above the strings, it's a thumb rest, for finger playing.

When below the strings, it's a tug bar, for thumb playing.

That's the general way it's explained, I think! YMMV!

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1485951382' post='3227922']
When above the strings, it's a thumb rest, for finger playing.

When below the strings, it's a tug bar, for thumb playing.

That's the general way it's explained, I think! YMMV!
[/quote]

Spot on.. Though as a thumb rest it sort of locks you into a single playing position... I seem to recall Leo assumed that bass players would primarily want to use their thumbs...

Edited by markstuk

[quote name='uk_lefty' timestamp='1485950525' post='3227908']
I don't understand what a tug bar is for?
[/quote]

This is the 1962 P Bass used by Greg Lake. Note the tugbar under the G string. Bassists back in the day used to grip with the index and middle fingers while plucking the strings with the thumb.

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1485954545' post='3227962']

This is the 1962 P Bass used by Greg Lake. Note the tugbar under the G string. Bassists back in the day used to grip with the index and middle fingers while plucking the strings with the thumb.

[/quote]

Amazing - I'm PBFS he used a Fender Jazz when I saw him with Emerson Lake and Palmer back in the 70s and also with KC before that? He also played rather nice acoustic guitar as well - I hadn't appreciated he'd gone back to the 1959 rudiments at some stage 🤔

With regard to the tug bar, back in the late 60s when I got interested in these things, unless you played with your fingers bass players were rather thought of as dabbling guitarists or worse still, those clicky plectrum things on the 'bubblegum' pop music of the day, as opposed to proper progressive music (or jazz/R and B ) so it was really an anachronism from the late 50s.

As is often the case with Messrs Fender and timely (or not usually) response to customer practice and need, they moved the tug bar to the top to facilitate 'proper' finger style bass playing in the early 70s just at a time when slap bass was taking off in R and B, and thus rendering it virtually impossible on a standard Precision without removing said tug bar.

Of course, parking your plucking hand in one place by using the tug bar rather limits the change in sound you can get by varying somewhere between the bridge and the neck. But so do the chrome covers (even more so on a Jazz).

All that said, a Fender without a tug bar in the traditional place for the era (and chrome covers) just doesn't look right to me but that's just me being OCD probably 😉

Edited by drTStingray