Why become a member? ×

Tug bar makes no sense or does it?

SH73

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1485964614' post='3228085']
Who T F made Leo the boss of bass anyway?
[/quote]

It's funny you should say this - back in the late 60s Jack Bruce was God of Bass and Andy Fraser was the apprentice God of Bass as far as I was concerned - both played EB3s.

Despite this fact, I lusted after a Precision - despite Leo Lyons and John Paul Jones being my other bass Demi-Gods and playing Jazzes. I suppose having another bass Demi God in Larry Taylor (who played one of those funny slab bodied Precisions at the time) just about justified my choice.

Oh and at the time no one knew who the **ck Jamerson was, only that there were some tasty and audible bass lines on Tamla records with rumours of them being played by a housewife in her spare time.

How times have changed!!!

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1485978825' post='3228244']
Oh and at the time no one knew who the **ck Jamerson was, only that there were some tasty and audible bass lines on Tamla records with rumours of them being played by a housewife in her spare time.
[/quote]

Thanks. I had a right good larf at that! I bet she who will remain nameless knew where her tug bar was at all times.

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1485977832' post='3228232']
Amazing - I'm PBFS he used a Fender Jazz when I saw him with Emerson Lake and Palmer back in the 70s and also with KC before that? He also played rather nice acoustic guitar as well - I hadn't appreciated he'd gone back to the 1959 rudiments at some stage

With regard to the tug bar, back in the late 60s when I got interested in these things, unless you played with your fingers bass players were rather thought of as dabbling guitarists or worse still, those clicky plectrum things on the 'bubblegum' pop music of the day, as opposed to proper progressive music (or jazz/R and B ) so it was really an anachronism from the late 50s.

As is often the case with Messrs Fender and timely (or not usually) response to customer practice and need, they moved the tug bar to the top to facilitate 'proper' finger style bass playing in the early 70s just at a time when slap bass was taking off in R and B, and thus rendering it virtually impossible on a standard Precision without removing said tug bar.

Of course, parking your plucking hand in one place by using the tug bar rather limits the change in sound you can get by varying somewhere between the bridge and the neck. But so do the chrome covers (even more so on a Jazz).

All that said, a Fender without a tug bar in the traditional place for the era (and chrome covers) just doesn't look right to me but that's just me being OCD probably
[/quote]

Cheers. That sheds light on a lot of things for me.

Although Leo didn't invent the electric bass, he made the first commercially available one. He came up with the 34" scale. Gibson came out with their electric bass the EB a year and a half later and decided on a 301/2" scale. They were both trying to come up with an instrument so guitar players could double easily and get more work. Leo also put foam under the bridge cover which coupled with the flat wound strings mimicked the tone (thump) of the upright bass. Most players back then did play with their thumb so a finger rest was logical for the new instrument.

Even by the mid sixties, the electric bass was still in it's infancy, as far as instruments, strings, amps and playing styles. A lot of bassists just sounded like whale farts to my young ears.

[quote name='geoffbyrne' timestamp='1486031873' post='3228606']
Look at film from the 50's - everyone (pretty much) played thumb style.

G.
[/quote]

However electric bass was largely irrelevant in GB until the end of the 50s (helped by import restrictions) - and even in the US was the exception rather than the rule.