Why become a member? ×

I wrapped my band up last night

King Tut

After 12 years of regular gigging with my band, The Curvy Love Dogz! we played our last pub gig last night and went out with a blast.

We were a trio and I was fronting on vocals and bass. Had the same line up for twelve years except for about a year when the drummer went pro and took a year out.

This was very much my baby. I organised, did the PA and lights, bookings, website. lemonrock, Facebook, the whole shebang.

We're still going to take function bookings if i can achieve a decent fee but I've just had enough of all the work that goes into running a band. I don't envisage doing any more than a handful of gigs a year from now on.

Although we've had some fabulous gigs, I've really got to the point where I've felt I'm going through the motions. I'm pretty lively on stage for an oldish geezer and when we do a two gig weekend, it takes so much out of me, I pretty much write the weekend off, despite keeping myself relatively fit.

I also take it all so personally, when one of the other guys can't do a gig (constant source of stress as the drummer plays in another band) or we have a bad gig or get criticised etc etc that I get really stressed out about it. Being in alcohol recovery, I really need to keep life as stress free as possible.

I've also managed to rebuild my marriage, and to some extent my family after a sh*tty break up, and I think that splitting the band can only be good for that.

Lots of our fans have begged me to keep the band going, and the other two guys aren't exactly chuffed about me splitting the band up. Having said that, outside of the gig, despite constant comments from me they wouldn't help in any way shape or form with the running of the band.

I've had to do what's right for me, and although I care for the other guys, I don't think I'm responsible for their musical careers.

I think this year, we've been the best we've ever been, and do you know what? I'd rather go out on a high, than start to bicker and seethe with resentments all the time and end up falling out.

I've joined another band - Isabelle - where I'm just playing bass and singing BV's. They probably gig about half as much as The Curvyz, so I can continue playing, and contribute to the organisation, without having to take everything on.

So - the end of an era for me. Just felt I needed to get that off my chest! Happy New year to you all!.

Happy new year to you too...well done on so many levels ( marriage,Alcohol etc etc)

You need to do what is best for you.As for worrying about the other two......The drummer doesn't seem to care about (a) being in another band and ( b ) taking a year out to go pro' so why stress about it?

Good luck in your new less stressed future!

Edited by Raymondo

Good move. Think you've done the right thing for everyone.
If the other 2 can't help with the band they need to face up to that responsibilty with a new band altho i find most band members generally don't behave like that and genuinely want to help. Sometimes its easier if one guy is leading a band but when he needs some help the others need to be there to help.
Your new band sounds like a better fit all round so all the very best for you
Dave

Yep - agree with your sentiment
Said to the wife on the way home from our new years gig, where did the 17 years go since the millennium gig we did?
We are a 4 piece bass guitar and drums + wife singing - I own PA and lights, Insurance, PAT testing, web site etc and operate the PA from stage not ideal.
I am getting together with a few old friends soon and doing some Shads and RnR stuff - just me and the bass

King Tut, I know where you're coming from. I ran and fronted a 3-piece for 4 years, sorted the gigs, dealt with the clients, looked after publicity etc. In the end I decided just to go out as a freelancer/dep, but in fact I have ended up joining a couple of bands that are principally run by other people. Bliss!

Did a similar thing about 3 or 4 years ago. And it's good to get out on a high. I would not go back to the commitment of regular gigging.

I'm enjoying having my time back. I've since joined a jazz quintet and also help run a monthly music club for all-comers at a community centre.

And, when I do occasionally perform in public, it's usually for nowt. Enjoy your new ventures.

Make sure you're not leaving yourself idle - not a good place to be in if you're in recovery (I'm 5 years dry in Feb). BUT if you're no longer enjoying it then a change is a good idea. Good luck and stay strong !

Edited by ahpook

I think Tut and Grandad are right, it is best to go out on a high. I have seen bands fizzle out after loosing the drive and passion to be the best. I never wanted to be that band, just getting the band together because the phone still rings on occasions. Going through the motions making silly mistakes and not being tight and slick as you used to be.
We were once the new kids on the block giving the old established bands a run for their money, because we put the work in.
Now I know we are the old farts putting out the scratch band,