Why become a member? ×

Good shop for basses in North East England?

Rexel Matador

The guitar shops that I know in Newcastle (Guitar Guitar, PMT, Windows) all have a pretty meagre selection of basses. Is there anywhere else in the North East that has more, or will I need to go further afield? I'm not looking for anything in particular, so the wider the selection the better.

[quote name='Rexel Matador' timestamp='1481967453' post='3196579']
The guitar shops that I know in Newcastle (Guitar Guitar, PMT, Windows) all have a pretty meagre selection of basses. Is there anywhere else in the North East that has more, or will I need to go further afield? I'm not looking for anything in particular, so the wider the selection the better.
[/quote]

I'd like to know this too, virtually no basses near me.

Steven James Guitars in Middlesbrough have a selection of Bass Guitars and Amps. I had a rattle through some Ashdown gear last week, ABM410 with a Retroglide 800 using a Cort bass. It all sounded excellent, the head was very impressive and the staff are very helpful.

[quote name='Daz39' timestamp='1482000639' post='3196921']
Grott, that's the one!
[/quote]

Grott. I seem to remember it being ran by a Hanoi Rocks look a like. We always used to pile in there to see what second hand gear had come in that week. Oh memories of youth... now let's go to the Mayfair and get lashed.

[quote name='2elliot' timestamp='1482003597' post='3196954']
Grott. I seem to remember it being ran by a Hanoi Rocks look a like. We always used to pile in there to see what second hand gear had come in that week. Oh memories of youth... now let's go to the Mayfair and get lashed.
[/quote]

Ahhhhh, the Mayfair. Saw AC/DC there back in the 70s. Still the loudest band I have ever seen. Bon Scott was awesome that night.

[quote name='Daz39' timestamp='1481994274' post='3196869']
Newcastle used to have 7 or 8 gear shops: Sound Control, Sounds Live, Windows, Jake's Bass Place, the vintage shop near the fire station, one at Eldon Square (the street not the mall)...
[/quote]

I think you mean Howard's Bass Place? aka Bass Doc

Jake's is a guitar shop in High Spen.

There's not a lot round here these days - half a dozen decent quality basses if you're lucky.

Rock City music on the cloth market used to be one of the best. Always had something interesting to play - ricks, Wals, Gibson RD! We'd spend most of a Saturday afternoon in there. Then they moved to Moseley street and went downhill. There was also Chris and Andy's on High bridge. They had a good selection of early Overwater basses. Wonder whatever became of them? :D Incidentally does anyone remember the Spectro Arts workshop on the other side of Pilgrim street. Used to hang out there making interesting music.

[quote name='Rexel Matador' timestamp='1481967453' post='3196579']
[/quote]

Get yasell to the next NE Bass Bash! B) Or maybe organise one... :)

I visited my home town of Newcastle over the weekend! Much nicer place than I remember,however I do miss Howards bass place. Nowhere there for cool basses,grott guitars sold grot as I recall from my youth.
I am very lucky as I live in Morecambe now and I have promenade music a 20 min walk from my house. It has a truly fantastic selection of basses,that you won't find in a lot of northern cities.

Edited by lee650