Why become a member? ×

I still haven't found what I'm looking for

ras52

Will this turn into yet another thread critical of Adam Clayton's bass playing ?

They always amuse me, baring in mind they're currently celebrating their 40th anniversary.

How many records have they sold ? How many sell out tours, playing the worlds biggest venues.

How many of us can claim the same ?

He does what he needs to for the song.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1479911171' post='3180223']
Will this turn into yet another thread critical of Adam Clayton's bass playing ?
[/quote]

I hope not... he gets a lot of stick for chugging root-note quavers, but this one caught my ear because it was something different from that.

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1479906771' post='3180166']
In a cafe and the track in the title is playing... and I'm enjoying the bass line! That's all.
[/quote]

Never been a big fan of U2 personally, but each to their own. That said, I do like some of their songs quite a lot.
Played this very song at an acoustic gig once (requested by someone in the pub we were playing, so I learned on the spot) and although it wasn't planned like the rest of the set, it went down really well.

EDIT: I meant to add, that I can perfectly understand why you enjoyed the song

Edited by Marc S

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1479918048' post='3180290']...any more playing would ruin the atmosphere.
[/quote]I think this is one of the reasons he doesn't overplay. Edge's guitar work is all about layers and texture under Bono's vocals, a busy bass line could well ruin it. I would imagine that Mr Clayton has some pretty good chops, it's just that U2 isn't the band to showcase them - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1479918302' post='3180293']
I think this is one of the reasons he doesn't overplay. Edge's guitar work is all about layers and texture under Bono's vocals, a busy bass line could well ruin it. I would imagine that Mr Clayton has some pretty good chops, it's just that U2 isn't the band to showcase them - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
[/quote]This!

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1479918048' post='3180290']
....... It struck me as a good enough bass line for the song, any more playing would ruin the atmosphere.
[/quote]

Yes, this is so important in any song. Some songs need more playing, more complex bass, guitar, or other parts. But sometimes less is definitely more, and in this song it's absolutely the case. It does everything it needs, to drive the song. Sometimes we are all guilty of overplaying. Holding back and giving a song some space is an invaluable lesson, and it's one I've started to learn much later than I should have.....

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1479981342' post='3180716']
I love how these threads go, same as barefaced ones, we get a page of people annoyed at the naysayers before any naysayers join in :lol:
[/quote]

Can you show me where there there is a post of someone annoyed in this thread, cos I sure can't see any.

They always amuse me, baring in mind they're currently celebrating their 40th anniversary.

How many records have they sold ? How many sell out tours, playing the worlds biggest venues.

[/quote] I hope not as well. But what has his bass playing got to do with the bands success over the last 40 years.?

It is easy to understand why AC is playing the best bass lines for U2.

I love 8th note, root, basic riffs playing. Locked with a simple drum pattern and pumping guitar there's nothing better at making the hairs stand up on the back of your neck, from Elmore James to U2, ZZ Top, Quo, AC/DC etc etc.

There are a lot of great bands that use a rhythm section in this way, because it's a very effective style of playing.

[/quote]
[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1479981704' post='3180719']

Can you show me where there there is a post of someone annoyed in this thread, cos I sure can't see any.
[/quote]

Erm is this not a moan?

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1479981342' post='3180716']
I love how these threads go, same as barefaced ones, we get a page of people annoyed at the naysayers before any naysayers join in :lol:
[/quote]

Oh no we don't...... :) lol

Edited by Marc S

Had a band support us once, they did Rocking All Over The World by the good old Quo, bassist did a Johnny B Goode type line over the whole song!!! So all I say is, I'm not a fan of U2 but what AC does just works for what they do! I could never imagine the other guys coming to the studio and saying "hey guys I have this great song called In The Name of Love (insert any U2 song here) AC stick a really cool walking bassline of the first verse and slap the hell out of the chorus and second!!"

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1479996100' post='3180868']

Nah, not even a moan, certainly not annoyed.
[/quote]

This thread isn't over yet, that's why I said threads like these, referring to the topic, the last barefaced one someone waded in laying into everything bad he thought the thread must have already contained after two pages, but it hadn't at the time! Of course a page later it had done :)