Why become a member? ×

RIP Leon Russell - 2016 continues to suck the life out of the arts

ezbass

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1479173387' post='3174557']
Sad news indeed.

The noticeable thing is nearly all of these guys whose fame started in the 60s and 70s are now in their 70s - except Bruce Forsyth, whose in his 80s.

It is a sobering thought that time marches on - even Ric Astley and Mark King look (relatively) old to me.
[/quote]This is very true. We had a bit of a golden age for the arts (and other things too) during that period and given that many of the stars of that period would have been around twenty at the time (obviously there are exceptions) then they are now all approaching that kind of age when the reaper comes to visit. Doesn't make it any less sad though and probably means that 2017 will suck too :(

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1479198301' post='3174602']
This is very true. We had a bit of a golden age for the arts (and other things too) during that period and given that many of the stars of that period would have been around twenty at the time (obviously there are exceptions) then they are now all approaching that kind of age when the reaper comes to visit. Doesn't make it any less sad though and probably means that 2017 will suck too :(
[/quote]

I would bet there are a lot of musicians from that golden era that are all approaching 75. Some we know very well most we've never heard of.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1479497278' post='3177072']

I would bet there are a lot of musicians from that golden era that are all approaching 75. Some we know very well most we've never heard of.

Blue
[/quote]

Well, I'm in the latter category, Blue. And I'm 75. So I'd better be very careful on my way to the gig tomorrow. Stratford on Avon if anyone's interested.

Leon's version of Jumping Jack Flash at the Concert for Bangladesh was incredible. And the little story he told about his lady at home in bed while he goes out on the town always makes me smile.
He also played bass for Bob Dylan as well in that concert. What a guy!
RIP Leon. :(