Why become a member? ×

Inconsiderate people!

geoham

Just a wee rant from me today! I really can't understand how people think sometimes!

All of my bands are inactive just now for various reasons, so I was looking on Gumtree for something new. I responded to an appropriate looking ad for a start-up band. Guys aged 40+ doing classic rock - seemed like fun, and at 35 I was almost the right age!

We exchanged a few emails and arranged to meet at a rehearsal room last night. There for four songs I was asked to learn - one was fairly proggy and not exactly straight forward - but I got there! I work about a mile from the rehearsal room in a city centre - so just took my gear on the train to work with me, hung about the office an extra hour and walked down. I also normally need to take care of the kids in a Thursday, but arranged a babysitter. So, a fair amount of effort on my part. I arrive at the rehearsal room, to be informed by the staff that the booking had been cancelled!

The guy from Gumtree is now totally unresponsive. (I was polite!)

I can't fathom out how anyone could think this was remotely acceptable. A quick email or text would have saved me a lot of hassle!

Edited by geoham

[quote name='Chaos Daveo' timestamp='1478854207' post='3172082']
Annoying and disrespectful but you find out they are a waste of time early on. Every cloud..
[/quote]

Yup. A hassle, but better to find out right at the start so you don't waste more time... :rolleyes: I don't get why people are ok behaving like that.

[quote name='geoham' timestamp='1478852469' post='3172070']
I can't fathom out how anyone could think this was remotely acceptable. A quick email or text would have saved me a lot of hassle!
[/quote]

It's certainly a crappy way to carry on. Be pleased you can't understand it - you're obviously a much more considerate person than they are.

[quote name='thebassist' timestamp='1478863032' post='3172179']
I went on joinmyband a few weeks ago, responded to a few bassist wanted ads, put an advert up myself and it's been a total waste of my time. All discussions went nowhere. I guess people are just bored.
[/quote]

I had this issue. Even meeting people getting on and talking about the next steps then nothing. Often they were busy with other stuff which I understand but I felt like I was the only one really trying.

Start up bands are the hardest thing to get up and going. No one feels like they have lost any thing by not bothering from the go hence the abundance of time wasters.

The best players around are usually already busy so quite often its the fed up what they are doing now, inbetweeners or the not very good and inexperienced that find themselves on the pages of Gumtree and Join My Band.

We would all like to walk into an up and running success of a band but if it were that easy even the "only play at home" guys would have a venture out (I reckon!).

You just have to keep looking and searching. The right people wont let you down so although this recent episode was annoying I think you dodged a bullet. But yeah, the folks that didnt call to say its off = tossers!

[quote name='thebassist' timestamp='1478863032' post='3172179']
I went on joinmyband a few weeks ago, responded to a few bassist wanted ads, put an advert up myself and it's been a total waste of my time. All discussions went nowhere. I guess people are just bored.
[/quote]

Again it depends on the band and individuals in it, I'd almost given up on being in a band again and struggled to find one with people that were on my wavelength.

Then like buses two came along that I liked the sound of,I auditioned for one and that was it I was in.

Edited by Chaos Daveo

[quote name='geoham' timestamp='1478861532' post='3172166']
Good point regarding the silver lining! Hadn't thought of it that way.
[/quote]

You have to sometimes, them being a waste of space is not your issue. Don't bother dwelling on it by all means vent a bit but a lot of people are idiots that's life.

[quote name='geoham' timestamp='1478852469' post='3172070']I responded to an appropriate looking ad for a start-up band. [/quote]

This is what you get with amateurs. And professionals who don't have a professional attitude. I file these situations under "Lucky Near Miss". You're better than these jokers so keep looking.

The last audition I did was a shocker. Only the singer and guitarist turned up. Neither knew the songs I'd been given to learn (even though they'd written them!) and it was an hour of shambolic nonsense. The record company guy who was also there said he was very embarrassed by the whole thing and apologised to me.

[quote name='geoham' timestamp='1478861532' post='3172166']
Good point regarding the silver lining! Hadn't thought of it that way.
[/quote]
yep -think how ticked off you would be if you had invested time and money and [b][i]then [/i][/b]found out that they were inconsiderate merchant bankers

[quote name='geoham' timestamp='1478852469' post='3172070']
[/quote]

It's not acceptable, in any walk of life.

Looks like you dodged a bullet with that band.

Sorry to hear you got mucked about. Joinmyband can be a bit circle of sh*t at times but you have to plough on through the chaff to get to the good people. I've recently agreed to get together for a jam, learned three songs and had a bass set up with a new set of heavy strings for C# tuning. Now trying to arrange a date and it's all gone quiet.

On the upside, met a good singer last night who had responded to my ad and we got on very well and musically on the same page. Also, and I know this is sad, we both turned up bang on time.

[i]I remember being knocked out by their... their exuberance, their raw power - and their punctuality[/i].

I have to confess I am likely to be looking for players to form a band in the fairly near future and am dreading it.

I already have offers from lots of friends who are good players but of cdourse every one of them already has a ton of gigs on their books so cannot commit 10)% or even 50%, understandably.
The funny thing is that this has been exactly MY situation so I really do understand.

Ah, well... time to start kissing frogs I guess.

[quote name='geoham' timestamp='1478873589' post='3172285']
I really shouldn't! But the ad is from about 2 weeks ago in the Glasgow area...
[/quote]

I've had a look (don't you just love Friday afternoons in 'work'...) & can't see any ads matching the clues so far. I take it it's definitely not this one tho https://www.gumtree.com/p/other-musicians-wanted/bassist-needed-for-queer-cabaret-pop-band/1196055562

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1478857433' post='3172127']

Yup. A hassle, but better to find out right at the start so you don't waste more time... :rolleyes: I don't get why people are ok behaving like that.
[/quote]

Exactly, they have given you a red flag before you've met them.

Move on, they're obviously a second rate operation.

Blue

[quote name='roceci' timestamp='1478876306' post='3172325']

I've had a look (don't you just love Friday afternoons in 'work'...) & can't see any ads matching the clues so far. I take it it's definitely not this one tho https://www.gumtree.com/p/other-musicians-wanted/bassist-needed-for-queer-cabaret-pop-band/1196055562
[/quote]

Ha - looks an interesting gig! Probably a bit flamboyant for the likes of me though....

I got an email today from them. Apparently there were two bassists called George who responded to the ad and they assumed we were the same guy. The other George called off on them, hence the cancellation! They were really very apologetic and sound genuine. I'm tempted to give them a bash... I'll mull it over!